PDA

View Full Version : Tree of Heaven

Thundermaker
11-04-2021, 05:29 PM
I'm not sure where this should go, so let me know if it needs to be somewhere else.

I'm about to start work on a historical project having to do with Sengoku era Japanese gunnery. It involves trying to figure out original load data.

To that end, we're trying to replicate original powder recipes from surviving documents. The woods mentioned are Yellow Catalpa and Japanese Sumac. Those are a bit out of my reach. However, I discovered another species on this side of the globe that is very close to Japanese Sumac.

That species is none other than "Tree of Heaven", also known as "stink tree" or "varnish tree". It is an invasive species that is very abundant.....everywhere but here.

I'm looking for some raw wood. I need to replicate the original charcoal-making method, which is a bit different from the ones we normally use.

If anybody in GA has some they want to part with, please let me know.

Leslie Sapp
11-04-2021, 07:25 PM
You should be able to find Catalpa around Cordele. We grow it here for the caterpillars (https://extension.psu.edu/catalpa-worm-catalpa-sphinx-moth) that live on it, they make excellent fish bait!

Check with some old school bream fishermen in your area.

Silvercreek Farmer
11-04-2021, 07:29 PM
Careful with it, I hear it can cause a poison ivy like rash.

TNsailorman
11-04-2021, 07:35 PM
As far as I know (which is not that much) all Sumac trees are poisonous.

Thundermaker
11-04-2021, 07:38 PM

I can tell you Japanese ones are. That lacquer ware they're famous for uses lacquer made from it. It's nasty stuff until it cures.

Thundermaker
11-04-2021, 07:40 PM
You should be able to find Catalpa around Cordele. We grow it here for the caterpillars (https://extension.psu.edu/catalpa-worm-catalpa-sphinx-moth) that live on it, they make excellent fish bait!

Check with some old school bream fishermen in your area.

I'll take that too if somebody knows where I can get it.

Edward
11-04-2021, 07:44 PM
Sumac is an irradiant (not serious) , have removed lots in the tree business (46 yrs) and still going/Ed

Nobade
11-04-2021, 08:18 PM
I'm surprised you don't have tree of heaven where you live. As far as I knew the stuff grows everywhere.

Thundermaker
11-04-2021, 08:30 PM
I'm surprised you don't have tree of heaven where you live. As far as I knew the stuff grows everywhere.

Nothing around here but pines. That's the moneymaker......or maybe the kudzu killed them all.

Texas by God
11-04-2021, 10:27 PM
I dont know if our native Catalpas are Yellow Catalpas- but they are very common here. I have a 25footer in the yard.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

megasupermagnum
11-04-2021, 10:42 PM

Not true. Not even the majority of them are.

MrWolf
11-05-2021, 08:44 AM

I would have sworn I had none here until I really looked. Right next to my garage and in a lot of other areas at the edge of the woods. I cut one down last year to start drying. I plan on trying to make charcoal this summer from it.

Boz330
11-06-2021, 12:11 PM
TOH should be in GA. I have been using it to make BP for several years. It has given me better velocity that Willow and much easier to find. As someone pointed out it is an invasive species and I have plenty on my farm and next to my business. A number of deer and squirrels fave fallen to it.
Look up some pictures and I'll bet you can find it. Just scrape a little bark off of a limb and sniff. Not too close it is pretty rank. The leaves look similar to a Black Walnut but the bark is very smooth unlike Walnut. It grows very fast. I have never had any reaction to handling it and have never heard of any.

Bob

Thundermaker
11-07-2021, 05:57 PM
TOH should be in GA. I have been using it to make BP for several years. It has given me better velocity that Willow and much easier to find. As someone pointed out it is an invasive species and I have plenty on my farm and next to my business. A number of deer and squirrels fave fallen to it.
Look up some pictures and I'll bet you can find it. Just scrape a little bark off of a limb and sniff. Not too close it is pretty rank. The leaves look similar to a Black Walnut but the bark is very smooth unlike Walnut. It grows very fast. I have never had any reaction to handling it and have never heard of any.

Bob

It probably is in GA, just not anywhere that I have access to. That's why I'm asking if anybody knows where I can get it.

swamp
11-07-2021, 08:23 PM
I have some cut to fit a 1 gallon paint can and about 1 inch square ready to cook. You pay shipping.

William Yanda
11-08-2021, 08:55 AM

Jim
Staghorn Sumac, the one with the red berry cones is not poisonous, in fact it is edible. Poison Sumac is very different, google for pictures. In Turkey, there is a sumac that is grown for a spice. Now you know.

Thundermaker
11-08-2021, 12:29 PM
I have some cut to fit a 1 gallon paint can and about 1 inch square ready to cook. You pay shipping.

I'll keep that in mind. I found a local landscaping guy that says he can get me some. We'll see if he comes through.

HamGunner
11-18-2021, 12:57 PM

In Missouri, we have several species of Sumac. Only one that I know of is poisonous and I believe it has white berries vs the red on most others. I have made tea using the red berries of the varieties growing in S. Missouri. It is sort of a tart flavored tea.