PDA

View Full Version : Is that all?

Half Dog
11-04-2021, 10:12 AM
I am working on 9mm cast rounds. I’m using a Lyman 356637 mold that gives me ~150 gr bullets that I’m shooting in a Kimber full size 1911. I have Titegroup powder and according to the Lyman reloading manual, the max load is 2.8 grains.

2.8 grains? Is that all? That doesn’t seem like much compared to other rounds I reload for.

Thoughts?

rintinglen
11-04-2021, 11:21 AM
Titegroup is a very fast powder, with loads listed being usually .1-.5 grains under those for Bullseye, in itself a pretty fast powder. I am not surprised that a heavy-for-caliber boolit like your 150 grain 356-637 uses very little. I have used 2.8 grains in 38 Special 148 grain wadcutter loads, but I do not use it 9mm loads. I use Power Pistol primarily, or occasionally WW-231 or Unique for my 9mm loadings.

Because I load my 9mm on a Dillon progressive, I prefer a bulkier powder in 9 mm reloads to lesson the chance of an accidental over load. A double charge that overflows the cartridge case is self evident, but 5.6 grains of Titegroup might pass un-noticed, at least until you drop the hammer.

Rcmaveric
11-04-2021, 04:15 PM
150 grain bullet is a heavy bullet. So yeah, thats about right. 125 grain bullet you can get closer to a normal charge. Even 125g copper jacketed bullet is only around 4g (randomly pulled from bad memory and not verified) of Tight Group. Its a fast high pressure powder. I have switch to Unique in my 9mm to get a little bigger charge and not be pressure sensitive to small charge deviations. Tight does perform well though.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

tazman
11-05-2021, 11:14 AM
The other thing that needs to be recognized is the short OAL your boolit usually needs in order to function. The Lyman manual list the OAL at 1.058 which is very short compared to a FMJ round nose at 1.160.
That short OAL removes powder capacity and causes higher pressures. The entire load range for that powder is only .3 grains with that boolit. Not a lot of room for error there.
I use other, much slower powders for heavy boolits.

Mk42gunner
11-05-2021, 06:48 PM
Small combustion chamber plus fast powder and a heavy for the cartridge projectile is going to equal small powder charges.

From what I remember when I had a steel full sized 1911 in 9mm, almost all loads are going to feel soft, i.e. almost no recoil.

Robert

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-06-2021, 08:54 AM
I like titegroup for jacketed bullets in 9mm (not so much for cast boolits), as it burns hot.
If I were loading heavies in 9mm, I'd try a slower powder, I've heard good things about Blue dot for that application, that's a direction I'd look to.

joebaja
11-06-2021, 03:42 PM
I never got that bullet to perform well with fast powders - Titegroup being one the first I tried. Just not enough velocity at the safe pressure levels to stabilize. Power Pistol worked much better for be, but it was a pretty stout load.

FLINTNFIRE
11-07-2021, 12:20 AM
I have some old Norma R1 , it I believe is number 1 on the burn rate charts , does not take a lot of some powders with some weights of bullets . I also prefer something that fills the case fuller .

Bmi48219
11-07-2021, 03:33 AM
I switched from Unique to TG for my 9mm standard loads. Realistically (99%) of my 9 mm loads are for target shooting where reliability and accuracy are my criteria. I run the same load for all my 9 mm firearms and it shoots as good as I can shoot and cycles every action without a hitch. In these mid-level loads I found Unique didn’t burn as completely as TG. TG is less expensive and for me, more readily available. As others stated a double charge of TG is harder to spot.
As an added benefit the same charge gives the same results under a 230 grain .45 RN for my 1911’s so I keep one Dillon measure permanently set for both cartridges. My .38 Special WC loads and .380 95 grain RNs run on TG too. With the exception of the .38 WCs I set all my COLs to the max length.

jetinteriorguy
11-07-2021, 09:22 AM
I’d recommend either Clays, 700-X, or HS-6. Titegroup is very energetic and burns hot, not so good with lead bullets.

bangerjim
11-07-2021, 12:29 PM
Agree. VERY small case + rather heavy boolit = small powder charge.

Just follow the published TG data and you are doing "all there is". And yes, there are better powders out there!. Just check out your load data books.

(I never give or get load stats from gun forums.....I only trust published data.)

banger

tazman
11-07-2021, 06:07 PM
If you can find any AA7 powder(Accurate Arms) it works well with heavy boolits in 9mm. Load data is available online at the Accurate arms site.

BigAlofPa.
11-07-2021, 07:00 PM
Tite group and cast boolits caused me a lot of leading headaches. 9mm and .380 were the worst with it.