PDA

View Full Version : SA 1911 .45 build

seagiant
01-13-2009, 07:44 PM
Hi,I just finished this pistol and having not contributed anything before thought I would show a few pics. I like to build .45's for a hobby. The parts are of such good quality and plentiful. This pistol was originally a SA Gov. model. All of the work was done in my shop. This is about the 5th time I've checkered a pistol and I'm just now getting comfortable. All the sharp edges were smoothed off around the pistol. Admittedly when I cut the front dovetail for the sight I went to far and had to order a Yost "rescue" front sight but over all everything went well.

I have the Powers series1and 2 trigger jigs and recut the sear and hammer. I kept the trigger pull at 5#,but it breaks even and feels lighter than that. The barrel was recrowned with an 11 degree cut on the lathe and the same bushing used. This pistol was very accurate out of the box and the frame to slide fit was perfect for a combat pistol! The top of the slide was squared and then I added cross serrations with a 40 LPI checkering file. The back of the front sight and the back of the slide was done the same. This all matches the back of the Hienie rear sight. I added a roll over notch to the slide for helping the brass on its way out. The trigger is the new Yost sguare front trigger and having big hands I like it. The grip safety is a Wilson"s. Front serrations on slide was added . I wanted to checker the front of the original recoil spring cap at 40 LPI but after cutting the old 20 LPI checkering off there was not enough meat left so that part was scrape. Rather than order another and have a week wait I made one on the lathe not sure if I could because the walls are so thin but it came out fine and looks more robust than the original.
The finish is a sandblasted parkerizing giving a non glare combat look. These pics are terrible but maybe later I can take some in better light.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10610&stc=1&d=1231947374

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10612&stc=1&d=1231947374

Catshooter
01-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Nice work seagiant. Fun stuff, ain't it? I love working on guns 'n stuff.

Cat

seagiant
01-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Hi Cat,
Yes, it's fun but also a little scary. When I picked up a checkering file for the first time and started in on a front strap,you have that committed can't turn back feeling!!!