PDA

View Full Version : Trick for removing factory lettering on hulls

hondamikek
11-03-2021, 09:42 AM
If any of you are like me, I much prefer my hulls to be free of writing on em.. and I致e tried everything from brake cleaner to denatured alcohol to cleanly get rid of the factory printed stuff on the hull. Some work, some dont. But today I figured out what DOES work, every time. Tried on a few diff manufacturers as well and by god, I知 happy with it. Mr.Clean Magic Eraser dipped in water. Cut one of those sponges into small pieces and you値l have plenty of use from em. Hope this helps someone! Cheers.

Red River Rick
11-03-2021, 07:52 PM
Lacquer Thinner.....

Winger Ed.
11-03-2021, 07:55 PM
Laq. thinner is good, carburater cleaner is a little stronger.

W.R.Buchanan
11-04-2021, 08:51 PM
Acetone!

Randy

TNsailorman
11-04-2021, 09:40 PM
I don't think I would use acetone on plastic shells. I worked in a plastic making operation and that is what we used to melt plastic. james

Cap'n Morgan
11-05-2021, 05:15 AM
Just have the (loaded) shells roaming around in your pocket for a period!
Back in the good ol' lead days, I shot Winchester compression formed hulls with #4 shot and also size #0 for geese and fox.
After a number of outings I had trouble telling which size was what, as the printing quickly became illegible.

I would think a trip through the washing machine, maybe inside an old pillowcase, should remove most traces of printing from the hulls. If not, they'll at least be clean and shiny :wink:

W.R.Buchanan
11-06-2021, 10:59 PM
The printing on AA's doesn't come off in the wash. I have old style AA's I have reloaded 8-10 times and the lettering is still there. They have been thru a washing machine about 5 times to clean them up. I am currently loading them for One Way trips to places where I can't retrieve them. They are pretty much used up anyway.

Randy