PDA

View Full Version : Air fryer and Powder coat

Wolfdog91
11-02-2021, 06:12 PM
Ok so I got a question regarding air fryers. Was at the Walmart last night looking for a new oven for powder coating boolits. Wanted a convection with the air flow but all I'm seeing are ones with built in air fryer! Now if I understood correctly and air fryer works similar to a convection my question though is can you powder coat in one ?

fastdadio
11-02-2021, 07:47 PM
Ok so I got a question regarding air fryers. Was at the Walmart last night looking for a new oven for powder coating boolits. Wanted a convection with the air flow but all I'm seeing are ones with built in air fryer! Now if I understood correctly and air fryer works similar to a convection my question though is can you powder coat in one ?

I have an air fryer, and my best guess is yes, and may actually do a better job than the old oven. I won't get to find out till Fastlady gets a new one and the old one finds it's way out to the garage. Hmmm, maybe for Christmas?

Sasquatch-1
11-03-2021, 08:49 AM
Not positive but, I don't think you have to worry about the fryer part until you put a small amount of oil in the oven. I believe that is how they work.

Markopolo
11-03-2021, 08:56 AM
i am watching this... i have a air fryer the wife does not use....

truck driver
11-03-2021, 11:08 AM
WALMART sells inexpensive Black & Decker air fryer toaster ovens that I use work great for me.
Set the temperature knob on the Broil setting the fan will run and the temperature is a steady 400*.
No need to break the bank with a convection oven when a $40-$60 toaster oven will work.

Walter Laich
11-03-2021, 04:21 PM
speaking of wally world
here is the $20 one I use. I did build a PID for it.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-4-Slice-Black-Toaster-Oven-with-Dishwasher-Safe-Rack-Pan-3-Piece/110482692?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=5045&&adid=22222222227309304316&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=390748307940&wl4=pla-830587690215&wl5=9027743&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=110482692&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5oiMBhDtARIsAJi0qk0Z8W5_0BLtPoswEZnz MY9wtWu5Lp1x_rPU6AsUssOlv1R2KEsKN00aAkwqEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

have PCed thousands of bullets in it

405grain
11-06-2021, 03:02 PM
OK Wolfdog91 you are already messing up! Yeah, an air fryer type oven will work just fine, but your looking in the wrong place. For doing proper PC you need the most beat up, grungy, $5 at a yard sale toaster oven that you can find. Free is even better. I got my high tech powder coating oven from the break room at work. It was so grossly slathered in nasty baked on gunk that it was being thrown out to make room for a shiny new one. Who would want to PC boolits in a brandy new toaster oven? Are you crazy? :grin:

All fun aside, if you use a toaster oven for doing PC here are some tips. First; and obviously, PC stinks like carpet melting in the microwave, so bake the powder coating outdoors or where there's some fresh air. This assumes that your married or have a girlfriend. If your a bachelor you could rebuild a small block Chevy on the coffee table in the living room and get away with it.

Second; Nothing sticks to parchment paper. You can get this stuff at the store on the isle with aluminum foil and saran wrap. Don't confuse it with waxed paper, which is something completely different. I cook all my PC boolits on a sheet of parchment paper and it works great. They don't stick to it.

Third; No matter what you do, some of the powder coating will find it's way onto parts of the oven. Once it's baked on it ain't coming off. After a couple of sessions there will be all kinds of colored patches in and on the oven. For this reason, the oven needs to be a dedicated PC oven and should not be used for food. Even though those little toaster pizzas are made from the same polyurethane as powder coating, it's still not a good idea to mix and match.

I'm sure that you'll get even more good advise, but if it doesn't include sarcasm you should take it with a grain of salt.

mehavey
11-06-2021, 03:38 PM
PC stinks like carpet melting in the microwave...What powder are you using?
(Eastwood PC has no smell at all)

sixgunner452
11-06-2021, 05:45 PM
Walter Laich, that is the same oven I use. Seems to cook boolits ok to me. I do place temp dial on 450 as apposed to 400 degrees. Randy.

Agarbers
12-15-2021, 10:29 AM
I have used a cheap yard sale air fryer until I found a Goodwill convection oven. It works just fine except it doesn't hold as many as a toaster convection oven. You do not need oil to make an air fryer work, hence the term air fryer. We use an air fryer (not the same one) to make great chicken wings with no added fat. I should also note that I use Eastwood powders.

bangerjim
12-15-2021, 12:44 PM
I cook just about EVERYTHING we eat in our dual shelf air fryer (except boolits). Works great with NO oil EVER needed.

But the digital convection-style oven I use for PC'ing holds over 500 boolits at a time on multiple big shelves/racks. VERY large cavity and factory built-in digital temp control to ±1F.

Most air fryers I have seen might be rather clumsy to slide racks in and out due to the very tiny cavity size. And make sure they can go to 425F or so. I run my fryer at 360 for every type food I cook. Never tried it any hotter.

Surculus
12-15-2021, 06:39 PM
"Air fryer" is just marketing lingo for a convection oven. Much greater market acceptance under that moniker than they ever had w/ the (proper, but too technical sounding) "convection oven" description.

rockrat
12-15-2021, 07:32 PM
As a matter of fact, my convection oven I use for PC cost $5 at a yard sale!!

Sasquatch-1
12-16-2021, 07:50 AM
I have used a cheap yard sale air fryer until I found a Goodwill convection oven. It works just fine except it doesn't hold as many as a toaster convection oven. You do not need oil to make an air fryer work, hence the term air fryer. We use an air fryer (not the same one) to make great chicken wings with no added fat. I should also note that I use Eastwood powders.

Does the Eastwood Powder make the chicken crispier then other brands?:groner:

Smoke4320
12-16-2021, 12:24 PM
No but will make it taste like plastic covered garbage. Plus is you will probably lose a lot of weigh quickly :)

bangerjim
12-16-2021, 03:03 PM
PC (in ovens) prevents lead from sticking to the inside of your gun barrels and also to the inside of your keister!!!!!!!

Bottom line....................... DO NOT eat food out of the same oven you bake your PC in.

downzero
12-16-2021, 03:37 PM
OK Wolfdog91 you are already messing up! Yeah, an air fryer type oven will work just fine, but your looking in the wrong place. For doing proper PC you need the most beat up, grungy, $5 at a yard sale toaster oven that you can find. Free is even better. I got my high tech powder coating oven from the break room at work. It was so grossly slathered in nasty baked on gunk that it was being thrown out to make room for a shiny new one. Who would want to PC boolits in a brandy new toaster oven? Are you crazy? :grin:.

This! Mine came from a dumpster outside an apartment building. I have no idea why, either, as it looked new. It has been powdercoating bullets for a while now.

gnappi
12-17-2021, 05:08 PM
I have three convection ovens I bought at thrift shops. The most expensive was $6, thrift shops are your friend :-)

Agarbers
12-17-2021, 11:39 PM
No, but it makes it look table-ready and provides extra roughage. We eat with our eyes first. Their two new colors, Rhode Island Red and Leghorn White are finger-lickin' good! :bigsmyl2:

Chaparral66
12-18-2021, 12:54 AM
I have a $20 Wally World toaster oven that I am using (bought specifically for) for powder coat and Hi-Tech coating. The real secret is a good thermometer for setting the temperature. Don't rely on the oven knob being even remotely close to the desired temperature. I use one with a thermocouple I can poke into the oven through the crack of the door. A digital thermometer (looks like a digital multimeter) from Harbor Freight is cost effective.

Walter Laich
12-18-2021, 01:11 PM
▲ agree on not using oven's own temp control

I built a PID for mine. Will hold within 1° throughout the cooking process

Also periodically razorblade the inside of the glass window. Mostly "just because"

did replace the OEM racks with heavier ones. Like racks rather than trays--air can move around better

rsrocket1
01-02-2022, 09:14 PM
Just go out and buy the $20 cheap ovens at Walmart already! Better yet, buy two. That way you can leap frog powder coating and stacking bullets while two other batches are baking. You can get 1000 done in about an hour. The elements are exposed so you should either make a metal shield to prevent the bullets from directly "seeing" the top element or put the included tray in the top slot and use a thrift store bought tray to carry your bullets. No need to waste money on a PID, just find the dial setting that will give you a relatively close temperature to your desired temp. Thats 400F for me. Mark that spot on the dial and it's "good enough for government work". With at least a 20-25 minute cook at "around" 400F, I've never had a problem with my PC boolits (about 40k so far).

I have about 5-6 trays I've collected over the years. I place the coated bullets nose down in a bullet tray (the ones that come with commercial ammo), set them in one tray, place another tray on top and flip them over. Voila, bullets all standing up and aligned.

https://images2.imgbox.com/a7/20/3Qcc9BX5_o.jpg

Then into one of the ovens.

https://images2.imgbox.com/60/63/FCqM8XRU_o.jpg