PDA

View Full Version : 500 mag m die

COUSIN DANIEL
11-01-2021, 09:11 PM
I want to make a m die insert for my lee 500 mag set. Could you please review and critique my design before I waste time building it.

My lead bullets currently are .700 inch from base to crimp grove and are .500inch in diameter.

First step to enter case would be .498 diameter and .350 inch in length

Second step would be .502 diameter and .350 in length and would lead into a slight bell.

I am afraid I will not seat the bullet straight given the extreme length with out the m die to guide it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-02-2021, 12:52 PM
I had runout issues when using Lee's 500M seating die with a 385gr RF PB boolit.
I ended up buying a RCBS die set, and used the RCBS expander and the RCBS seater/crimper die...that solved my problems. I still used the Lee carbide sizer and PTED with disk powder drop and I used Lee's Collet style FCD for the 500M...all three, I prefer over RCBS's equivalents.

Your DIY expander may or may not improve seating with the Lee die.

On a similar note, I quit using Lee seating dies for all my rifle calibers because I dislike Lee's sloppy seater design...they can work OK for jacketed bullets, but not cast boolits.

COUSIN DANIEL
11-02-2021, 09:31 PM
I had runout issues when using Lee's 500M seating die with a 385gr RF PB boolit.
I ended up buying a RCBS die set, and used the RCBS expander and the RCBS seater/crimper die...that solved my problems. I still used the Lee carbide sizer and PTED with disk powder drop and I used Lee's Collet style FCD for the 500M...all three, I prefer over RCBS's equivalents.

Your DIY expander may or may not improve seating with the Lee die.

On a similar note, I quit using Lee seating dies for all my rifle calibers because I dislike Lee's sloppy seater design...they can work OK for jacketed bullets, but not cast boolits.

I had my bullet backwards, it's a wadcutter and .700 is from nose to crimp my bad.

How would you check run out of these rounds? I loaded speer 350 grains with my lee dies and factory expander and had excellent results in regards to accuracy.

I made my plug today on the lathe with changes to address the length change of bullet and plan to try out this weekend hopefully.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-02-2021, 10:04 PM
a Concentricity Gauge is the best way.
But there are a couple redneck hacks, if you have good eyes.

Glad you have good luck with loading Speer bullets, maybe you didn't read my comment you quoted, "I dislike Lee's sloppy seater design...they can work OK for jacketed bullets, but not cast boolits."

COUSIN DANIEL
11-03-2021, 10:20 AM
a Concentricity Gauge is the best way.
But there are a couple redneck hacks, if you have good eyes.

Glad you have good luck with loading Speer bullets, maybe you didn't read my comment you quoted, "I dislike Lee's sloppy seater design...they can work OK for jacketed bullets, but not cast boolits."

I saw you what you said regarding the Lee dies, my rebuttal was not a defense of Lee's piss poor design just an experience. I mean who thinks a free floating nub with a inverted radius which is secured by a threaded stem that utilizes a rubber o ring as a lock would be an issue.

I usually have an rcbs/lyman seater transplanted into my sets but I have been unable to locate a single unit for the 500 mag.

So I agree completely with what you said, you had me concerned with run out is how this all got started.

Shooter Mcgun
11-07-2021, 06:49 PM
I want to make a m die insert for my lee 500 mag set. Could you please review and critique my design before I waste time building it.

My lead bullets currently are .700 inch from base to crimp grove and are .500inch in diameter.

First step to enter case would be .498 diameter and .350 inch in length

Second step would be .502 diameter and .350 in length and would lead into a slight bell.

I am afraid I will not seat the bullet straight given the extreme length with out the m die to guide it.

I’d love one of these! Unfortunately I don’t have the tools to make it, if you want to sell one, let me know.