PDA

View Full Version : Target/velocity mapping

Wolfdog91
10-30-2021, 07:42 PM
So was at the range testing some more loads out the ole AR . Well finally was able to relax Abit after everyone left and was going over some stuff in my head. Well I happened to remember what Mr.larry said about velocity and the RPM threshold of cast bullets. Thought " hay I still have three loads to test let's try and map everything" so too out a piece of paper and document every shot over my 10rd string ( side note learned that a 10rd string is so much better then a 3 or 5 when it comes to cast load development, went back over old loads with a 10rd validation group and I've been pretty surprised).
Ended up with with what I'd call a core group , of like 1.5 @50yd. ( This gun shoots 2.5" groups with cast all day long if I do my part) Everyone of those bullets stayed under 2190fps how ever the second one went over 2190 it was a flyer by like a extra inch. Found this pretty interesting.

https://i.postimg.cc/qM78JQyY/IMG-20211030-183546776.jpg

On a side note I gotta say it's kinda funny after looking at the other guys target who where shooting factory ammo out their AR's that I'm still out shooting alot if them with my cast rounds :smile:

Winger Ed.
10-30-2021, 08:05 PM
A lot of people think they can shoot well because they're Americans, and watch a lot of movies.
They think that is a good substitute for discipline, training, and practice.

I've seen several times where someone said, "This gun is no good".
Then another person shot it to a tight group, and handed it back saying, "The gun is just fine".