PDA

View Full Version : First big score

MoldyJoe
01-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Got my first big load today 130# of WW at a junk yard for .15 a pound. Previously nothing more than a handfell or so. Real clean some stick ons but almost no valve stems. They also had some stuff that looked like wire insulation. Pipes about 1 1/4 diameter and groved like a big TORX screwdriver bit. They were real heavy and hard to bend but were bendable, with only about a 1/2 " hole down center, but harder than the pure lead in the same bin. There was about 1500# or so but I was worried that it had a light coating of freckle rust, from something ferrous. Any ideas what they were?

KYCaster
01-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Got my first big load today 130# of WW at a junk yard for .15 a pound. Previously nothing more than a handfell or so. Real clean some stick ons but almost no valve stems. They also had some stuff that looked like wire insulation. Pipes about 1 1/4 diameter and groved like a big TORX screwdriver bit. They were real heavy and hard to bend but were bendable, with only about a 1/2 " hole down center, but harder than the pure lead in the same bin. There was about 1500# or so but I was worried that it had a light coating of freckle rust, from something ferrous. Any ideas what they were?

Joe that sounds like electrodes for plating...(chrome, copper, iron, etc.). Of the ones I've seen, most were the same alloy as WW, a few were softer. Some had a 1/2" copper rod in the center and all a copper bracket on one end to hook on a bus bar. Yours may have been cut off to salvage the copper.

Jerry

MoldyJoe
01-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks, Some did have a hook bent into them with about a 2" radius. If I can get them for that price I will stock up. Somebody in a Post said once you put the word out you are looking pb will come to your door. I just found an old x-ray machine I can tear into. Woo-Hoo this if fun. Joe

Gunslinger
01-13-2009, 07:02 PM
Congrats on your first score. Ain't it just so satisfactory to drive home with all that lead signing "Hell yeah I'm gonna make me some o' them boolits" all the way :-D?