PDA

View Full Version : Kind of wanted a Le Mat.....................

Ray1946
10-29-2021, 09:06 PM
Been wanting a Le Mat since I saw them at the Dixie Gun Works table at the OGCA show some time back in the 80's. Recently got to examine one up close and was amazed at the very thin wall thickness between the chambers in the cylinder. Wasn't planning on making a magnum out of it or something like that, but just looks a little scary to me. Were they ever made in .36?.....................................

Winger Ed.
10-29-2021, 09:25 PM
Not sure about the replicas, but it was originally offered in .36 and .42 cal.
I always thought the .36 was the most common of the originals.
Seems like they all had a 16guage center barrel.

Wayne Smith
10-30-2021, 08:37 AM
My Pietta is .44 caliber using the standard ball. Yeah, the originals were thin walled.

bedbugbilly
10-31-2021, 11:34 AM
Years ago, when I was shooting N-SSA, one of the guys bought a Le Mat when they first came out. IIRC, his was a .44. It was an impressive revolver - not only from the historical standpoint but from the quality standpoint as well - his was a beautiful example. I had the opportunity to shoot it a number of times. He thought he was going to really love it though but after a while, the novelty of it wore off. He offered to sell it to me at a decent price but while it was nice . . . I passed on it. I much prefer the balance of my '51 Colts, '61 Colts etc.

Not bad mouthing the Le Mats . . . . if you like them then go for it and enjoy the heck out of them. Even though it wasn't my cup of tea, I am glad I had the opportunity to shoot one a number of times.

KCSO
10-31-2021, 12:38 PM
The originals were in 40 caliber, from the horses mouth you don't want a replica. They are nothing but problems the shotgun barrel is just for decoration the loading lew=ver is worse than a Walker, The recommended load is like 25 grains. If this is what the South gave out no wonder the OFFICERS carried them.

Wayne Smith
11-01-2021, 03:48 PM
The loading lever is a problem - it does fly loose when firing unless additionally held. I don't know where you got your information about the shotgun barrel but mine works fine. No way I limit mine to 25 gr FFG!