PDA

View Full Version : sno seal?

444ttd
10-29-2021, 11:54 AM
i got about a full can of sno seal that i bought years ago. i've been wondering what to do with it(other than leather boots) and i wondered if it take patches for a round ball? i know that you can use mink oil, but what about beeswax(sno seal)?

waksupi
10-29-2021, 01:28 PM
I don't care for beeswax based lubes. They build up in the bore like Bore Butter.

GregLaROCHE
10-29-2021, 02:37 PM
I wouldn’t buy some for just. If you have some on hand and not using it, try it. If the weather is cold, you may want to soften it by adding some Canola or Olive oil.

444ttd
10-29-2021, 03:49 PM
I wouldn’t buy some for just. If you have some on hand and not using it, try it. If the weather is cold, you may want to soften it by adding some Canola or Olive oil.

i have about 5 or 6oz of the stuff. i bought it sometime in the late 90s, used a little bit and it sat on my shelf for years. i was going to try the double boiler, but i just did 10 patches.

georgerkahn
10-29-2021, 03:56 PM
Sno-Seal is one of my most favourite products! I have some Sorels (Canada-made :)) boots with over fifty years use with their leather every bit as good as the day they were new -- worn through God only knows how many, many perhaps miles of snow! (One great feature of snow is the soles/bottoms of boots worn in snow do not get ground/worn down as those worn on dry pavement/dirt/etc.)291012
I had a Hunter-brand leather holster which I noticed was getting dry, so, "what the heck" I warmed it a tad (not too hot!) and applied some Sno-Seal. Next morn I rubbed off/buffed with an old cotton towel, and wowsers! The holster has not deteriorated one iota since! Hey -- I have a few "good" (e.g., $$$$) holsters I have not put Sno-Seal on; but -- pretty much all my others -- 'specially those I wear hunting and or while target shooting at camphave received at least one Sno-Seal application.
Again -- I use it on ALL -- without reservation -- my winter footware! And, you asked "what else?": some holsters.
BEST!
geo

megasupermagnum
10-29-2021, 06:40 PM
One odd thing I use sno seal for is as a release agent for bedding. I don't deal in precision rifles, but for anything I've bedded, snoseal does the job, and you can use it for the screw holes and such.

Castaway
10-29-2021, 06:53 PM
In reverse, I use Gato Feo lube in place of Sno Seal

mobilemail
10-29-2021, 10:13 PM
I use it to condition leather bicycle saddles

Stockcarver
10-29-2021, 10:26 PM
Those heavy leather work glove you guys use really like a good rubbed in Snow Seal coating. Softens the leather and makes the gloves water resistant. Great for those gloves used when fire wood cutting and splitting.

I have used Snow Seal for a hand rubbed in finish on nice wood work.

HamGunner
10-29-2021, 11:31 PM
I have used snow seal on my boots and leather gloves for probably 40 years at least. Works great if one warms the leather up and let it soak right in. Never used it for patches or in any way for Black Powder, but I have used Bore Butter on some old dried out holsters and it brought them back to life. Softened up the leather nicely. Bore Butter will leave a sort of whitish looking glaze on leather after it has been stored for a good while, but just buff it off and the leather shines right back up.

For making my lubed wool patches for revolvers, I use about half and half beeswax and Junior Lube with enough Bore Butter to thin it down a bit according to the temperature in which it is to be used. Toss my felt sheet into a pan of the melted lube to soak up and hang it up to harden. I just cut the lube cookies out using my drill press. I don't see why Snow Seal can not be used with the right formula.

Junior lube was a bit hard for me in cool weather and I had a decent amount that I bought from him that I wanted to use up. It was good stuff for warm weather, but I would think that the right amount of Snow Seal, like Bore Butter would help soften it or other harder mixes up enough for cold weather.