PDA

View Full Version : Full shelves

Cosmic_Charlie
10-29-2021, 10:00 AM
They opened a Costco in our area yesterday. Shelves were completely full up to the rafters. Some good prices; butter $2#, bacon 4$# Buffalo Trace whiskey $19 bottle. Never have trouble using up the butter and bacon plus it keeps great in the freezer. Good selection of seafood too. Did not check the gasoline prices. Got a nice bottle of Kirkland Napa Valley red blend for $11 - tasty with a good "nose".
Too bad they don't sell guns.....

8mmFan
10-29-2021, 10:17 AM
The bacon was $4/lb? I’d load that cart up. We do eat a lot of it...

cwtebay
10-29-2021, 10:41 AM
Bourbon, bacon and butter - all for good deals!!??? Holy moly what else do you really need!!??

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

StuBach
10-29-2021, 10:59 AM
Have yet to find some thing Kirkland branded that I didn’t like. Bacon at four dollars a pound is incredible because right now in my area it’s $18 for a pack of the pre-cooked.

Funny story, friends brother did a business case study of Kirkland private brand and if you see a Kirkland product next to a namebrand product of the same variety that’s who made the private label version. For instance, Costco only sells Duracell batteries and Kirkland batteries. Because Duracell makes Kirkland batteries. Same thing applies to their liquor, whatever brand name is next to that product that’s who makes it.

Mal Paso
10-29-2021, 11:29 AM
Costco only sells Duracell batteries and Kirkland batteries. Because Duracell makes Kirkland batteries. Same thing applies to their liquor, whatever brand name is next to that product that’s who makes it.

Hmmm I had a bunch of the kirkland AA batteries leaked Alkali in less than 5 years. I have not had that with duracell.

We finally got a gas station if I could only remember to use it.

RogerDat
10-29-2021, 12:24 PM
now if Costco would only start selling primers and brass....

We used it for a few years. Wife doesn't like shopping to fill the freezer and pantry. She is happy to shop 2 or 3 times a week depending on what she feels like cooking. Spent two years of pointing out that if one saves 10% on the purchases at Costco then one has to purchase at least $500 in goods to cover the cost of $50 membership. Not going to do that then no point. We saved a couple hundred on buying smart phones when we originally signed up for membership. Was full of excuses after that for why we couldn't go there. Sigh. I liked the cheeses.

Ironic is we use between 2 and 3 cans of coffee a month and get the majority of our income once a month. Could never figure out why we didn't go buy a month worth of coffee, butter, frozen vegetables, and some meat. Be nice to find a good tasting budget price merlot. Rockbrook is one merlot we found at the local meat store but if Costco has a good merlot THAT might encourage wife to shop there. We used to buy an IPA (ale) there and I see connection from her switching to wine from beer having a connection to loss of interest in Costco.

myg30
10-29-2021, 01:38 PM
The thing I found with Costco is the different weight of packaged items. Odd ball weight different from your typical market. You really need to know the cost per oz.
EX.) You might see a 3pk of cheese for $12, but they are 10oz each, so $12/ 30oz.
But you can buy 1 - 16oz pk for $3@ so, 48oz fer $9
I just made this up as example but you get my drift.

They do have so good deals but you just need to be aware. Big air filled bags of chips with less weight in the bags. They were 8oz now you start seeing 7 1/2oz at same or slightly higher costs.

Mike

GregLaROCHE
10-29-2021, 02:25 PM
Take advantage of the new store opening and wanting to get people in the habit of going there. Stock up your freezer. I bet prices will have inched up to normal in less than six months.

bangerjim
10-29-2021, 05:31 PM
At ours you can get all the bacon and butter you want.

BUT..........................there is no water! They cannot get enough plastic bottles from their maker to use! Thanks to the shortage of petro products that go into making plastic bottles (thanks Bidum) they cannot keep the shelves full, even at 1 per customer. I guess we can always store water and other liquids in solar-powered and wind-powered bottles?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Sad. Very sad. :violin:

At least I still have a thing called a FAUCET!!!!!!!! [smilie=b:

higgins
10-29-2021, 06:17 PM
At our Costco that opened about 3 months ago their gas has consistently been 25 to 30 cents less than the going price in town.

Maybe they don't carry water because their green police decided that it was a waste of plastic and not enough profit because it's so cheap anywhere else in town that sells in volume.

MrWolf
10-29-2021, 08:33 PM
Been a Costco member since around '87. If you see some you like, buy it. Do not wait as it may not be there again. I have noticed since the pandemic that a lot of items they used to sell, like skim milk, are not offered anymore. Used to be get the range, but now only whole and 2% near me. Jewelry is great. Their customer service used to be the best, but has dropped off substantially over the last 4-5 years it seems. Stock up while you can.

Mal Paso
10-29-2021, 09:15 PM
At ours you can get all the bacon and butter you want.

BUT..........................there is no water! They cannot get enough plastic bottles from their maker to use! Thanks to the shortage of petro products that go into making plastic bottles (thanks Bidum) they cannot keep the shelves full, even at 1 per customer. I guess we can always store water and other liquids in solar-powered and wind-powered bottles?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Sad. Very sad. :violin:

At least I still have a thing called a FAUCET!!!!!!!! [smilie=b:

They have 24 oz stainless vacuum bottles 2 for $16 right now. I have a RO and bottle my own.

MT Gianni
10-29-2021, 09:20 PM
Current Costco membership for an Executive member is $110. We get two rebates a year, one for about $135 and another for about $750. We put all our purchases on the card and pay it off every month. It works for us.

Catshooter
10-29-2021, 09:34 PM
They just opened the doors. I would be surprised if their shelves weren't packed, wouldn't you?

Go back in two weeks and take another look.

376Steyr
10-29-2021, 09:41 PM
They just opened the doors. I would be surprised if their shelves weren't packed, wouldn't you?

Go back in two weeks and take another look.

My Costco makes sure the spaces for missing items are always filled with some different product. Where the canned mushrooms are supposed to be, you'll find a double stock of canned beans. No baking soda? There's a pallet of flour in its place.

snowwolfe
10-30-2021, 11:02 AM
Hmmm I had a bunch of the kirkland AA batteries leaked Alkali in less than 5 years. I have not had that with duracell.

We finally got a gas station if I could only remember to use it.

Same here. If duracell does make Kirkland batteries they are not made the same. I love Costco, but I'll never buy a Kirkland battery again.

DDriller
10-30-2021, 11:09 AM
I agree the Kirkland batteries are not as good as the Duracell. Must be rejects or seconds from Duracell.

Shanghai Jack
10-30-2021, 11:50 AM
Bourbon, bacon and butter - all for good deals!!??? Holy moly what else do you really need!!??

Primers, powder, and percussion caps

centershot
10-30-2021, 12:02 PM

Guns. And ammo.

LaPoint
10-30-2021, 01:00 PM
This past May we drove a car back from Winston Salem, NC via the Outer Banks. It was right during the time that Colonial Pipeline was hacked and held hostage. Although others were reporting gasoline shortages we never had any problems getting a full tank from any of the Costco stations. We bought a new car at the end of June and saved $3500 on the purchase. Costco has some very good deals and some not so good deals.

bangerjim
10-30-2021, 02:00 PM
Like said.......If you see something you want, stock up right then, because next week it may be gone, even their own brand! A family member worked for them for about 6 hears and filled me in on the secrets of how they operate. They make their big profits on the memberships and not much on the actual stuff we buy. Most are razor-thin margins. And they move stuff around almost every week to force you to search for it and find stuff you really didn't know you ever needed!

This year we have spent ~3X the money at Sam's Club. I have corp cards for both, but Sam's has a bunch of stuff we like better. They now also offer a free MasterCard credit card that is your club membership also, so no more 2 cards needed.

Bottom line is, the 2 of us generally spend $250-350 per month at Sam's and $150-200 at Costco. And still the wife still comes home with a boot full of groceries every week or so! Gotta eat, so might as well eat what you like.

jonp
10-30-2021, 02:30 PM
The bacon was $4/lb? I’d load that cart up. We do eat a lot of it...

You ain't lying. I held up a package of Black Label Bacon for my wife to check out. $13.99lb

jonp
10-30-2021, 02:32 PM
Like said.......If you see something you want, stock up right then, because next week it may be gone, even their own brand! A family member worked for them for about 6 hears and filled me in on the secrets of how they operate. They make their big profits on the memberships and not much on the actual stuff we buy. Most are razor-thin margins. And they move stuff around almost every week to force you to search for it and find stuff you really didn't know you ever needed!

This year we have spent ~3X the money at Sam's Club. I have corp cards for both, but Sam's has a bunch of stuff we like better. They now also offer a free MasterCard credit card that is your club membership also, so no more 2 cards needed.

Bottom line is, the 2 of us generally spend $250-350 per month at Sam's and $150-200 at Costco. And still the wife still comes home with a boot full of groceries every week or so! Gotta eat, so might as well eat what you like.

The only reason we shopped at Sam's Club was a free membership we got and the scan app that allows you to scan the items as you put them into your cart and pay with a CC then bypass the checkouts and go straight to the door. That is a genius idea but the stuff wasn't any cheaper than we could find on sale different places and sometimes more.

bangerjim
10-30-2021, 03:32 PM
The Costco near me tried that scan app thing a few years ago using a resident scanner (not your phone) in each cart. They lost so much money in a year from stolen items, they scrapped the whole test project for the entire USA.

I might be able to find the odd item someday somewhere for a few pennies less, but I am of the type - when I want something, I want it now - and pay whatever the price is without a 2nd thought. Many years ago, we were coupon hoarders for the grocery stores. Now we don't even subscribe to magazines or newspapers! (Like the old S&G song says; "I get all the news I need from the weather report.") Haven't used a coupon to buy stuff with in over 6 years.

jonp
10-30-2021, 06:04 PM
Have yet to find some thing Kirkland branded that I didn’t like. Bacon at four dollars a pound is incredible because right now in my area it’s $18 for a pack of the pre-cooked.

Funny story, friends brother did a business case study of Kirkland private brand and if you see a Kirkland product next to a namebrand product of the same variety that’s who made the private label version. For instance, Costco only sells Duracell batteries and Kirkland batteries. Because Duracell makes Kirkland batteries. Same thing applies to their liquor, whatever brand name is next to that product that’s who makes it.

I haul pickles. I can tell you that besides their name brand they make pickles for everyone from Dollar General to Trader Joes.

Cosmic_Charlie
10-30-2021, 06:15 PM
I was just surprised they were able to fully stock the store.

legend 550
10-30-2021, 07:51 PM
Give their hearing aids a look Kirkland brand are made by Siemens $1900. Or go across the road to Miracle ear( also made by Siemens ) and pay as much as $5000 for the Identical set.

Burnt Fingers
10-31-2021, 01:54 PM
I've been a Costco member since the mid 80's.

We buy all our meat there, as well as butter, milk, coffee, and a few other items.

Most of our grocery shopping takes place at HEB.

Patrick L
11-01-2021, 09:22 PM
We don't have Costco in my area. Sounds intriguing.

kevin c
11-02-2021, 02:10 PM
Costco’s cheap and fairly convenient (I pass one one the way to the range). Good deals, especially when I don’t mind buying in bulk and don’t care about brand.

It is annoying, though, to not find my sizes or products that I try out and like but that they drop.

No Sam’s Clubs nearby.

Bmi48219
11-02-2021, 10:16 PM
now if Costco would only start selling primers and brass....
Be nice to find a good tasting budget price merlot. Rockbrook is one merlot we found at the local meat store but if Costco has a good merlot THAT might encourage wife to shop there.

RodgerDat, look for FRONTERA Concha Y Toro brand Merlot. 1.5 liter bottle. We don’t shop at Costco. It isn’t a store brand, I’ve seen it at Krogers. BJ’s Warehouse club carries it down here as does my favorite store: Total Wine. It’s from Chile, typically $8 / for 1.5 liter bottle and smooth. Frontera has won dozens of awards over the past 15 years. Their other varieties are also ++ good.