PDA

View Full Version : jpw failure

44mag1
01-13-2009, 02:43 PM
I lubed some 200 grain lee .44 wadcutters with jpw. loaded 6 grains of titegroup behind them. After 12 rounds I had severe leading. Never had any leading with this load conventionaly lubed with 50-50. dont know if I should reduce the charge or just lube normal?:-?

GSM
01-13-2009, 03:12 PM
If all else was the same except for the lube, then the lube was the failure.

waksupi
01-13-2009, 03:12 PM
I've not tried the JPW myself, but have wondered. DO you suppose that climatic conditions are a big factor in varying results? I know some swear by Bore Butter in thier muzzle loaders, whereas in my area, it creates terrible fouling. Also, there is White Lightning lube some really liked, and I had terrible leading and accuracy. I was going to try JPW in my .357 mag., but have been a bit shy about trying it.

Black Jaque Janaviac
01-13-2009, 03:40 PM
What problem are you hoping to solve by going with JPW?

Whatever you're trying to develop with your load will have to govern how important it is to stick with a particular lube.

I have all sorts of various loads for various purposes. What is important in a good plinking load is A) cheap B)easy to load C)pleasant to shoot D)minute-of-beer-can accuracy E)potent enough to humanely kill a beer-can with one shot.

I'm not going to spend oodles of money that could be spent generating beer-can targets on lube and lubing equipment. Nor am I going to spend 1 hour lubing bullets for 10 minutes of shooting fun. Tumble lubing is the way to go for me for those loads. However, I find that JPW and Lee Liquid Alox is a horse apiece.

For a little more potent plinker I want about all the same qualifications, however I want it to be potent enough to humanely kill a milk jug filled with water. For those loads I don't mind spending the time pan-lubing. However, when I'm out I usually shoot more cans than I do milk jugs, so a few more minutes spent loading won't necessarily be wasted.

For a hunting load, well I shoot at deer no where near as often as I shoot at milk jugs and cans. So I don't mind wrapping boolits in paper or even spending the cash on copper-clads.

Kuato
01-13-2009, 03:55 PM
JPW hasn't worked for me in 357Mag. 6gr Bullseye with LEE 158gr RNFP, leaded after 3 rounds. Same load, same boolit with LLA, NO problems. Same with my homebrew lube. No lead.

I'll just use JPW as an additive to my lubes, not as a straight lube..

Boerrancher
01-13-2009, 04:12 PM
I have never had a problem with JPW as a lube. I am shooting well over 2100 fps with it out of my 30-30 and right at 2500 fps with my 06. I use two heavy coats. I do not warm my boolits they go in to the JPW at room temp, and after they are tumbled and covered with a heavy coat of slime, I sit them base down on wax paper to dry, usually 24 to 36 hours. After they are dry I do it again. If you didn't have heavy dark brown lines running down in all directions when they were dry you didn't have enough. I lube my pistol boolits the same way when I use JPW. If I am just going to load and shoot them in a pistol they get one coat. If they are going in a rifle they get two.

I tried the heating the boolits up and adding the JPW swirling them around and removing them to dry. I loaded a few and started to notice leading in my Blackhawk 45LC. I pulled the few remaining I had loaded, tossed those in the pot, and started putting a heavy coat on them. This solved my problem.

As far as weather conditions I don't see how that could be a factor, considering in the summer it hits the upper 90's and low 100's and in the winter it can get as cold as 20 below. I have used JPW at temps as high as 98 and as cold as -3 so far and have not had any issues.

The only advice I can give is use a heavier coat, and if you don't think it is heavy enough use two. If your lube does not resemble that of a 22 L.R. with a heavy enough coat that you can scratch off with your finger nail, it isn't heavy enough.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

missionary5155
01-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Good afternoon
Leading can be caused by other factors.
Exactly where is the leading occuring ?
Is the boolit the right size for the cylinders ? If it is to small you have problems...
Are the cylinder throats larger or smaller than the barrel. ? Hopefully the throats are larger. But if smaller you are going to have leading problems.
Are the Boolits Rock hard?
Are the bolit bases filled out and square ?
Those are some possibilities that are probably more the problem than JPW.

leftiye
01-13-2009, 07:09 PM
I'm not a jpw, nor a LLA fan, but FWIW, LLA should be virtually capable of equaling 50/50 alox Beeswax as it is Alox (and solvent), and beeswax isn't much more than a carrier, so you wouldn't lose much there. JPW amounts to carnauba and parraffin with lots of solvent. The two if mixed together might really be sumpthin'.

44mag1
01-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Im trying to save time with the tumble lube. Ill put some more on and try it. Ive used LLA with varying success but hate the stickiness. these bullets arent very hard, there range scrap. the leading covered the entire bore. Good thing is that it was fairly easy to scrub out.

kamikaze1a
01-13-2009, 10:09 PM
It sounds like you used the same boolit and same load, just different lube? If so, try first coat LLA and finish with the JPW... I am having great results with LLA. One light coat, size and then second light coat but with 40S&W, 45acp and 9mm. Loaded to about 1k fps except for the 45...

I wonder if the barrel gap has something to do with the leading? Perhaps blowing or scraping the lube off?

Boerrancher
01-14-2009, 08:48 AM
This should give you a good idea of how heavy to apply the JPW. Here is one of my 30-06 boolits that I shoot around 2500 fps. This is a single coat that has dried. Notice the dark brown lines, this is the best indication of a heavy enough coat.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/101_0205.jpg

Black Jaque Janaviac
01-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Im trying to save time with the tumble lube. Ill put some more on and try it. Ive used LLA with varying success but hate the stickiness. these bullets arent very hard, there range scrap. the leading covered the entire bore. Good thing is that it was fairly easy to scrub out.

OK so you're trying to save time and would like to avoid LLA. In a sense, only you can answer your original question. That's because you're the only one who can deem whether it's worth a lot of experimentation trying to make JPW work. I'm a believer that just about any load variable can be made to work by changing other variables.

I tried a max load of .38 spl using a Lee tumble lube bullet, over Unique. Switched to HP-38 and problem solved.