PDA

View Full Version : Equivlant to WW lead

RyanJames170
10-28-2021, 08:09 PM
what is the closest commercially made lead alloy to wheel weight lead?

Dusty Bannister
10-28-2021, 08:54 PM
Many of the isotope generator containers are 1-3-96. COWW is about .5-2.5-and the remainder lead, a partial percent of arsenic and tramp metals. Or purchase 2-6-92 and cut with pure lead.

winelover
10-29-2021, 07:05 AM
I quit with scrounging CWW, many years ago. Currently, I purchase pure lead and lino in 5# bars, from Roto Metals. Mix at a ratio of 3-1 for a close approximation of WW alloy (13-15 BHN). If I want softer alloy, its 4-1. Harder, mix 2-1.......... KISS principal.

Winelover

RyanJames170
10-29-2021, 08:13 AM
How close is WW to Lyman #2 that rotonetals sells?

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-29-2021, 08:57 AM
what is the closest commercially made lead alloy to wheel weight lead?

"commercially made"

If I were buying retail, I'd buy Hardball alloy (2/6/92) and cut it 50-50 with soft lead.
Soft Lead is easy to find, scrounging or purchasing retail.

Some say that COWW takes heat treat well and doesn't age soften, because of the low amount of Tin, so the 50% Hardball alloy would heat treat well too.

ABJ
10-29-2021, 09:03 AM
Not really a readily available mix that is close but I did a little plug and play on the alloy calculator and came up with these.
One lb on #2 to .4 lbs of pure lead = 3.5-3.5-93, little high on the tin and expensive but should shoot very well.
One lb of foundry type to 4.5 lbs of pure = 2.7-4.1-93, still a little high on tin but for a simple mix this would be my choice.
The other one is 1.75 lbs of hardball to 1 lb of pure = 1.3-3.8-95. A little low on tin for my taste, I like at least 2%. It will work for low end to mid range loads.
I have used the foundry recipe and its a very good alloy for hunting boolits and accuracy just the extra tin is pricey for plinking. Do a search for alloy calculator and down load it, a very valuable tool for casters.
Tony

fredj338
10-29-2021, 02:19 PM
There really isnt an comm alloy that mimics clip WW, but just adding lead to Lyman #2, like 50-50 mix, you will be very close. Some of you guys worry too much about alloy. Ifs size/fit that really matter for most handgun needs. I get by quite nicely with range scrap or pure lead mixed 4-1 with lino.

RogerDat
10-29-2021, 02:27 PM
How close is WW to Lyman #2 that rotonetals sells?

Not very close. Lyman #2 is 5/5/90 So it is 2.5% higher Sb (antimony) and at least 4.5% higher in expensive Sn (tin) In terms of hardness... The #2 alloy is about 15 BHN and very nice casting, makes a ductile (less prone to breaking up on impact) bullet due to the amount of tin. COWW would be around 11 - 13 but it can go higher depending on what is in the WW bucket.

COWW equivalent that Rotometal sells is antimonial lead https://www.rotometals.com/antimonial-lead-ingots-5-pounds-3-5-antimony-lead/ You would probably want a small percentage of tin to add to that for better casting, say 1% to 2% Sn and it would be pretty darn close to the WW+tin alloy that was common mix.

That little bit of arsenic in WW's can make a difference if one water drops the bullets from the mold so that the quenching yields a harder bullet. I do not do this but from reading the arsenic helps that process work "better". Better grain or harder or ....? not sure exactly but pretty good documentation on the difference it makes.

My preference for the alloy I make to have on hand is for Lyman #2 because it makes an excellent bullet, the Sb and Sn are in balance and they alloy with each other in way that makes better alloy than they two ingredients would on paper improve the alloy on their own. Can cover from over 2,000 fps bullets (5/5/90) down to pistol or plinking (2.5/2.5/95 or 3/3/94) on to very soft pistol (1.5/1.5/97) can be had by adding soft lead and soft lead is the stuff I'm most likely to find in scrap yards. It is also the least expensive lead to purchase from foundries when (not if) the ability to find and purchase from scrap yards ends.