PDA

View Full Version : Lee Collet Factory Crimp Die for 6.5 X 50 Japanese ??? Will other 6.5 Lee FCD work?

bedbugbilly
10-28-2021, 05:07 PM
I like to use the Lee Collet Factory Crimp Dies for a number of my bottleneck cartridges (cast boolitws) to gently remove any flare or lightly crimp the boolit in place.

I am going to be reloading some 6.5 X 50 Japanese cartridges in the future for a couple of Type 38 Arisaka rifles and am trying to gather what I need.

I don't see a Lee Collet Factory Crimp Die specifically listed for the 6.5 X 50 Japanese cartridge so have a question I am hoping that someone can answer. There are a number of 6.5 cartridges out there and of course case length and diameter vary from one to another. Can any advise me if any of the Lee Collet Factory Crimp Dies for other 6.5 cartridges will work on the 6.5 X 50 Japanese cartridge?

I am guessing that the I.D. of the die would work but am unsure if the Lee Collet FCD for any of the other 6.5 cartridges which have a tad bit longer case lengths will work and can be adjusted to work? If so . .. . which one?

Thanks

Jim

BP Dave
10-28-2021, 05:49 PM
You should be able to make a 6.5 Swede Mauser crimp die work. Because the 6.5x50 is shorter, you would have to figure a way to push the cartridge up inside the die.

I know Old West Bullet Moulds has a method for pushing short cases up into a too-long Lee crimp die using an adjustable bolt in a shell holder--you might take a look at his website to see what I'm talking about. Some of them are a little fancier and have a sort of mini-shellholder on the end of the bolt. It wouldn't have to be very long to make up the difference between 6.5x55 and 6.5x50.

Here's a capture from his website.

He might even make one for you, but I don't know--you'd have to ask him, and I suspect he may be pretty busy about now. I don't think there is enough "meat" on the bottom of the collet to simple shorten it, but if you have access to a lathe that might be a possibility as well.

frkelly74
10-28-2021, 05:53 PM
You might consider shortening the collet of a 6.5X55 Swede die about 5 mm and see if the collet will still work to remove the flare and provide a crimp. . Not really sure how that might work so maybe more is involved . 5 mm is approximately 1/5" .

frkelly74
10-28-2021, 05:54 PM
Great minds think alike.

BP Dave
10-28-2021, 10:54 PM
Indeed.

abunaitoo
10-29-2021, 02:44 AM
I've cut down may collets to fit different calibers.
You can get just the collet from Lee Precision or FM reloading.
If the collet I need is to short, I make a spacer to go around the case.
These collet dies are great.

bedbugbilly
10-29-2021, 12:03 PM
Thanks all - greatly appreciate the info.

BP Dave - As I get into this 6.5 Japanese project - the shell holder that Bernie makes (Old
West) is actually what kind of triggered my question. I use his combination adjustable shell holder and collet crimp for loading .375 heeled in 38 Colt Short/Long for use in my .36 C & B revolvers with conversion cylinders.

I'll pull a couple fo my Lee Collet FCDs that I have here in AZ and take a gander at just what would be involved in shortening one up (6.5 X 55 Swede). I didn't know if anyone had ever tried the 6.5 Japanese in one like the 6.5 Swede to see if there was enough adjustment to make it work without interference with the shell holder and the bottom of the die body. If there is a way that it will work, it would be worth the price of the die to give it a try and shorten if need be and it will work alright shortened.

A shell holder like those from Old West would be the huckleberry, but I would imagine it would be quite price to have just one made. As far as that shell holder working well - it does for my 48 Colt Short and Long loadings.

I'll see what I can come up with and when I figure it out will make a post here.

Thanks to all!

Jim