PDA

View Full Version : What are these - Purple Cases?

MUSTANG
10-28-2021, 01:04 PM
A few years ago I picked up a couple hundred 10MM cases that were purple with an underlying look of Chrome/Nickel. Have not seen any since; until last week. At the range I picked up about 20 (+) .223's that had that same look.

The top is a range pick up brass case, and the one below has the purple hew with Chrome/Nickel tone under it. These are definitely NOT STEEL, as a magnet will not attract. Head stamps are WIN - 17, and WIN 18.

Any ideas what they are and why they have this appearance?

RichBaxter
10-28-2021, 01:09 PM
These were sold as training ammo. I bought some but have not used it as of yet. It is my understanding that the purple tint was to indicate it was for training purposes and not self defense use.
Rich

ReloaderFred
10-28-2021, 02:00 PM
You'll find a lot of that brass from LEO ranges. As RichBaxter noted, it's intended purpose is for training. The ones I've gotten have all been Winchester brass.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Outpost75
10-28-2021, 03:32 PM
The Glidden Purple Indicator is used to identify High Pressure Test cartridges used for proofing firearms during manufacture. It is intended to ensure that the brass is scrapped for remelt and not salvaged for reloading. I would be very suspect of "practice" range ammo assembled in fired HPT brass, due to the additional stress the brass was subjected to and greater risk of failure due to loose primer pockets, etc.

ReloaderFred
10-28-2021, 03:52 PM
All the proof cases I've seen have been painted red on the base and/or headstamped "Proof". These are training rounds in the photo, and are actually pretty common. I was given a large box of them from a California Highway Patrol range last year and was told that's what the CHP uses for practice in their AR's.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Dsltech1
10-28-2021, 03:55 PM
Winchester training only. Midway sold some a few years ago from a DOD contract overrun. Link is for .40 but there were other calibers sold at the time as well.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900754723

jonp
10-28-2021, 04:41 PM
Training ammo

Taterhead
10-28-2021, 06:41 PM
Thanks again to this knowledgeable group of people on this site. I learned something today!

We have several LE agencies that train at my outdoor range, but I can't recall seeing purple tinted brass.

ReloaderFred
10-28-2021, 07:24 PM
I believe it's only the Winchester training ammo that has the tinted cases, and I've only seen them in .223. That doesn't mean it's not out there in other calibers, but that's all I personally have experience with. If your other agencies haven't bought that particular ammunition, then it won't show up on your range. The local LEO's and USCG don't use it on our range, either. A lot of agencies buy what they can get, particularly in these times.

Hope this helps.

Fred

rbuck351
10-29-2021, 12:08 AM
I found about 300 of them a few months ago and cleaned them. They look fine for reloading.

ioon44
10-30-2021, 08:07 AM
I found some of them in .40 S&W and reloaded them with out any problems.