PDA

View Full Version : Lee 124gr TC in 380acp

copdills
01-13-2009, 01:07 PM
has anyone tried the Lee 124 gr TC in a 380 acp just wondering how good or bad it would work and what powder charge to use:holysheep

clintsfolly
01-13-2009, 01:17 PM
yes but the base is to deep in the case resizing the boollit but was fun guessing where the next one was going have fun clint

rbstern
01-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Too much bullet for too small a case. If you seat it out far enough for reasonable case volume, you probably won't be able to get them into the gun's magazine.

A better bet is the Lee 358-105 SWC. If your 380 will feed it, it's a good choice. I size them 356 for 380 and 9mm. My Bersa Thunder 380 has never balked at it. That bullet can be loaded in 380, 9mm, 38 spl, 357, 38 S&W. Great, all purpose plinker in anything with a .355 to .360 bore.

mike in co
01-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Too much boolit

EMC45
01-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Use 'em all the time in my KelTec.

mike in co
01-13-2009, 06:27 PM

sorry i dont get it...a 124 is only about 700 fps in a3" bbl....is the keltec that long ??

so why ???
i know mass counts, but i'd rather do a hor 90 xtp at 960 and have bullet design in my favor.
mike in co

rbstern
01-13-2009, 11:12 PM

What OAL and powder charge?

Any idea what velocity you get?

EMC45
01-14-2009, 06:40 AM
I am actually using the 120gr. TC with the traditional lube groove and not the TL design. I load with a WSP primer and use 2gr. Bullseye. I use mixed headstamp cases and seat to .0957. I tried lower powder charges, but the slide was very sluggish. I like to stay proficient with the KelTec as I carry it all the time. Jacketed is out of my budget. I carry ball ammo in it anyway so functionality isn't an issue. It is an accurate load (for a gun this tiny), and functions the gun and ejects cases with authority. Next time I take it out I will try to shoot over MGD45's Chronograph.

mike in co
01-14-2009, 11:46 AM
so a practice load, not a carry load...ok
( still aprox 700 fps)

jdgabbard
01-14-2009, 11:38 PM
I have loaded this up before. However, the OAL was too long. I ended up using the seater die with the seater plug adjusted all the way down and the ram from a LEE sizer to "smash the boolit down to a proper length. Then sized in the lee sizer. Actually shot very nice groups out of my Bersa Thunder. However, recoil was noticable. Ended up abandoning that load as I wanted something that was somewhat more conventional then messing up perfectly good cast boolits. The 105g SWC mentioned above might prove to be just what the caster ordered.

barnetmill
01-15-2009, 12:28 AM
Many years ago I used a purchased 125 round lead bullet intended for use in P08luger and loaded and shot them in a Mauser HsC. These were not rounded and came to a flat point. I would pick up fired .380 ACP unsized cases that would chamber in the barrel, not size them, and deprime and prime them. These bullets would lodge againt the thickened sides of the case. I would push the bullet in far enough for the cartridge to fit in the magazine and put a light crimp on to allow chambering. I used an extremely small charge of red dot that I do not exactly remember. The ammo was low velocity. A heavy powder charge or heaven help you a double load is dangerous considering the relatively small powder space. I would not use them in light weight pistols like the Keltec. I accidently fired them in a 600 astra 9mm pistol and they functioned well as a very light load. Functioned the slide but resulted in a badly bulged out case.

Astra 600's for those that do not know are a straight blow back pistol as are the hipoints. These loads will probably not work in short recoil operated pistol. Never tried so I am guessing here.

You can load heavy bullets in the .380 ACP, but it is probably not a good idea.