PDA

View Full Version : AA#11FS and 450BM

railhunter
10-26-2021, 11:23 PM
Looking to start reloading for my 450 soon. would be using the Lee 300gr boolit mold. I have a few lbs of H110, and a lb of lil gun. I know those are a few of the preferred powders for the 450 but finding it local for me sucks. My question is has anyone found out anymore info on using AA11FS in the 450? I read a thread on here where a member had received an email from western powders stating that it was close enough to 110/296 to use that info. I found a good supply of the 11FS here locally and am wanting to try it. Info on the web is scarce at best or recent either. the thread I mentioned was last used in 17.

10-27-2021, 07:02 AM
I would use it….with some caution, but I would use it. I read an article about it and it stated that FS11 was just a slight variation of 296 with an added flash suppressant.

railhunter
10-27-2021, 12:37 PM
Is there any chance you recall the article so I might be able to look it up and read it? I have some time before I start as I am out of town with work. So I want to get as much info under my belt before hand as I can. I should add too that I am not looking to max out the reloads. It will be for an AR so I know the strength isnt there for full bore loads. looking to make mid range stuff just to shoot more and some hogs a few times a year.

cwlongshot
10-27-2021, 01:23 PM
The bullet requires quite deep seating and I abandoned that bullet. I like it allot but the ojive is a issue.

Love the 450!

Also my fav powders are AA#9 and 5744 for cast.

Good luck

CW

railhunter
10-27-2021, 01:28 PM
Good to know on the boolit issue. Do you still use cast and what did you decide on for a boolit if so? I'm not stuck on the 300, thats the mold that was available when I went to pick up my dies and such. Its a bit much for just plicking, but had it in mind for hogs.

gwpercle
10-27-2021, 02:07 PM
Looking through Western's Reloading and Load Data Guide ... I see plenty of data for the 450 Bushmaster ... but it shows :
Accurate #9
Ramshot Enforcer
Accurate 4100
Accurate 5744
Accurate 1680

And that's it ... maybe this edition 6.0 isn't up to date .
I did some poking around on the net and found a very little loading data but not much and None for 450 BM .
From the looks of it the stuff is a slow burner ... maybe in the league of 2400 and H110 but that doesn't tell you Doodly-Squat . Must be more info out there ... my powers of the Force are weak .
Gary

railhunter
10-27-2021, 06:49 PM
Looking through Western's Reloading and Load Data Guide ... I see plenty of data for the 450 Bushmaster ... but it shows :
Accurate #9
Ramshot Enforcer
Accurate 4100
Accurate 5744
Accurate 1680

And that's it ... maybe this edition 6.0 isn't up to date .
I did some poking around on the net and found a very little loading data but not much and None for 450 BM .
From the looks of it the stuff is a slow burner ... maybe in the league of 2400 and H110 but that doesn't tell you Doodly-Squat . Must be more info out there ... my powers of the Force are weak .
Gary

There is definitely very little info on it. I can only go off what I have read so far. a guy in this group back in 2019 had responded to a post that western had responded to him that while they had not tested 11fs yet in 450, it was close enough in burn rate and all to follow 296 loadings. while of course starting at the min and working up. But this is why I am asking while researching to find out all I can. while I have some 296 and lil gun its no where near enough. just a pound or 2. If this powder will work then it just adds another level of available and usable powder instead of being limited to just 1 type. If it works, great. if it doesnt, then great. no harm done but some fun reloading research.

cwlongshot
10-27-2021, 08:28 PM
Good to know on the boolit issue. Do you still use cast and what did you decide on for a boolit if so? I'm not stuck on the 300, thats the mold that was available when I went to pick up my dies and such. Its a bit much for just plicking, but had it in mind for hogs.
My Lyman Gould HP mold is a favorite!! I cast in COWW and shoot @ 1600 fps under 2" 10 shot groups. Its 330g so goodly mass too.

CW

railhunter
10-27-2021, 09:51 PM
My Lyman Gould HP mold is a favorite!! I cast in COWW and shoot @ 1600 fps under 2" 10 shot groups. Its 330g so goodly mass too.

CW

Man that looks like a very nice boolit!!

doulos
11-10-2021, 11:00 AM
Looking to start reloading for my 450 soon. would be using the Lee 300gr boolit mold. I have a few lbs of H110, and a lb of lil gun. I know those are a few of the preferred powders for the 450 but finding it local for me sucks. My question is has anyone found out anymore info on using AA11FS in the 450? I read a thread on here where a member had received an email from western powders stating that it was close enough to 110/296 to use that info. I found a good supply of the 11FS here locally and am wanting to try it. Info on the web is scarce at best or recent either. the thread I mentioned was last used in 17.

I have used 11FS for .44mag. It is not listed in the reloading Data as a grain for grain replacement for H110. Accurate Reloading (8.0 version) info states a load range of 180grain xtp 25.4 -29.9. Compare that to Hodgdon load range data for the same bullet is 29-31.5. The charge weights arent the same for the exact same bullet. So that should be a warning.
Also Accurate lists 11FS data as 19.2-22.6 with a Sierra 240 JHC. Hodgdon H110 data for a similar bullet the Nosler 240JHP H110 23-24 grains It does not seem like a direct replacement to me. The burning characteristics might be similar. But I WOULD NOT use H110 load data. That said, I really like it in my Henry rifle. And I also dont see any .450 Bushmaster load data in their latest data. I would call or email them.