PDA

View Full Version : I tried it and liked results

gtim88
01-13-2009, 10:32 AM
I went to the range Sunday with my 45/70 handi rifle. I had 30 rnds paper patched with anything from notebook paper to gift bag tissue paper. My bullet was the Lyman Hollowpoint 330gr sized to .452, patched and sized to .457, and my charge was 48gr of h4895. Every shot hit the 8.5" x 11" paper @ 100yds. All the patches except for the tissue paper were twice wrapped with approx 45degree end cuts. The tissue paper was was cut into 1" by 5.5" strips square cuts. Just rolled the bullets twisted the tails on 5 of them, tore the tail off at base on the other 5 one of these twisted tails was destroyed during seating due to some old lube in the die. The other 9 rnds gave the best group of the day. (4" with 4 rnds touching) I'll find out next Sunday if the 4 touching shots were the twisted tail. Once I find the wrap combo this rifle likes best, I'll start adding more and different types of horsepower. My ultimate goal is 1900 to 2000 ft per second for better trajectory. I want to hold on front shoulder of deer @ 150 yds and connect.

I'd never heard of PP cartridges, until I joined this site. Thanks to everyone here @ castbullets I now have a great new hobby and a much lighter wallet LOL! I'm getting PP molds and sizing dies for all of my rifles.

Tim

docone31
01-13-2009, 11:07 AM
I rolled up my sleeves, got everything, read everything, cast my brains out, gas checks, sized, then loaded up.
Went to the range, and embarassed the pants off myself! Couldn't hit my hand in front of the muzzle! Turned my rifle into a lead mine.
I read somewhere my rifle lends itself to paper patching.
I now outshoot factory jacketed loads all day long. For a little effort, I have a winner.
I now paper patch all my rifle loads. I cast about 500 castings, size them to patch. Then I sit and wrap.
I had to get my dies modified to load the paper patched loads. No biggee. I now have dies for jacketeds, and patches.
I get a lot of folks looking at my loads. When they see how they fire, there is no laughter now.