PDA

View Full Version : Coon hunting for the first time

Wolfdog91
10-25-2021, 05:14 PM
So posted this in general before I thought lol figured it would make more sense to post in here

https://youtu.be/3mwbvzWxVNc

ShooterAZ
10-25-2021, 06:24 PM
Hunting with dogs is fun, but Raccoon hunting with an electronic caller is a real hoot too. It's to the sounds of Racoons fighting, there's a lot of Youtube videos on doing that too. They will come swarming out out of their trees in broad daylight to the call. I use an open sighted Winchester pump Model 62A 22 rifle and it's more fun than a barrel of Coons. Did ya get em? LOL

Winger Ed.
10-25-2021, 06:35 PM
If you get a predator caller or tape, all the neighborhood cats will come running.

If you're using a predator call tape, and forget to bring the player-----
Don't use the casett player in your truck.

A buddy did that: Opened the doors, played it on the truck stereo, sat in the back, and waited.
When that bobcat jumped in the back with him & his buddy and was looking for that hurt rabbit-- business really picked up.

ShooterAZ
10-25-2021, 06:46 PM
If you get a predator caller or tape, all the neighborhood cats will come running.

Yeah, it's a good idea not to do it in your neighborhood! Creek bottoms with big old trees with holes in them where limbs have broke off are good spots to call.

white eagle
10-25-2021, 07:24 PM
had my cameras set out and I got a bunch of coons on the camera
trouble is I plan on coyote trapping while bow hunting and I bet you
dollars to doughnuts I get a few in my traps
may use them for bait though so it may work out

reloader28
10-26-2021, 10:02 AM
Coon hunting is a blast. My last time was about 15-16 years ago.
I've been wanting to find someone that does it and take out the grandson. I think he would have fun

JoeJames
10-26-2021, 12:36 PM
Statute of Limitations expired about 50 years ago, but I used to Coon hunt with my uncle and his dog, Bobo, back in 1964 and 1965. We called it predator control around his 2 acre garden/truck patch in the summer of both years. Bobo was half Black and Tan, and half Beagle. After his first Coon fight, he was tough on Coons. Only problem we had doing predator control in the summer, was the bugs and briars.

ABJ
10-27-2021, 01:59 PM
"Statute of Limitations expired about 50 years ago,"
What are you saying JoeJames, too old to hike 5/10 miles in pitch black, through creeks, swamps and God knows what? I am right there with you brother, but wouldn't trade those days for anything. I would still do it if I had the energy and could stay awake past 9 PM. LOL
Tony

Txcowboy52
10-27-2021, 02:55 PM
LOL I'm right there with ya ABJ !!

Wolfdog91
10-27-2021, 05:28 PM
Ummmmm yeah it's a night time video with head lamps you seeing exactly what I'm seeing . Most coon hunting videos are like this . Don't know if you know much about racoons but their nocturnal tree climbers . Your either trapping them , calling them or using dogs. You can just spot and stalk them espically down here dude to out terrain.
And again I get that it's illegal where you live but you saying it's not hunting just because it's not legal where you live is ignorant. I don't really feel driven hunts where a bunch of guys push roe deer wild boar ect to shooters sitting in stands is really hunting but I don't live in these place nor to I know the hunting culture or the animals. Mabye that's just the best way to hunt those animals there.For me to say that wasn't hunting would be ignorant. Saw a guy the other night shoot an Impala with a .22 hornet . That's illegal here but that doesn't mean it's not hunting or automaticlly poaching even though the only people here who use a hornet on that size game are poaching usually

Edward
10-27-2021, 05:49 PM
I ran dogs for 30+yrs never used an AR anything ,climbed shook out the coon and the dogs put the hurtin on the coon survivors didnt get past the little 22 pistol (Ruger 6) for foreigners . And just for giggles anyone shooting close would get incoming (an American thing ) back in the day

Wolfdog91
10-27-2021, 05:56 PM
Hunting with dogs is fun, but Raccoon hunting with an electronic caller is a real hoot too. It's to the sounds of Racoons fighting, there's a lot of Youtube videos on doing that too. They will come swarming out out of their trees in broad daylight to the call. I use an open sighted Winchester pump Model 62A 22 rifle and it's more fun than a barrel of Coons. Did ya get em? LOL

It's actually on my list to try !! Every time I get money for a FoxPro though something else breaks down [smilie=l:

bluebird66
10-28-2021, 06:30 AM
Brings back a lot of memories, 40 some years ago I was in high school and went coon hunting almost every night. I can still hear those hounds running now.

444ttd
10-28-2021, 01:43 PM
i haven't been coon hunting since i was 11 or 12 yo. ahhhhh......the memories.

JoeJames
10-28-2021, 01:54 PM
"Statute of Limitations expired about 50 years ago,"
What are you saying JoeJames, too old to hike 5/10 miles in pitch black, through creeks, swamps and God knows what? I am right there with you brother, but wouldn't trade those days for anything. I would still do it if I had the energy and could stay awake past 9 PM. LOL
Tony

Well, age enters into it too; I am 70 now, but when we did what we called "predator control" for Coons around the garden truck patch, was in the summer time, and we ranged out a pretty good ways too. Here in the Arkansas, Coon hunting season is legally done in the winter time.

BTW my mother's family was from Walker County, GA, but lit out from there to Arkansas in 1868.

dale2242
10-29-2021, 08:18 AM
When I was a young man, I am 80 now, I got to hunt cougar and bear with hound dogs.
The dogs belonged to neighbor.
Now that the bleeding hearts got hunting bear and cougar with dogs stopped we are getting over ran with them.
You can still hunt bobcat, fox and raccoon with dogs.
A fur bearer license is required for taking bobcat and fox.

waksupi
10-29-2021, 01:13 PM
I remember back when we were getting $80 per hide. It sure made it worthwhile!

woody1
10-29-2021, 05:21 PM
When I was a young man, I am 80 now, I got to hunt cougar and bear with hound dogs.
The dogs belonged to neighbor.
Now that the bleeding hearts got hunting bear and cougar with dogs stopped we are getting over ran with them.
You can still hunt bobcat, fox and raccoon with dogs.
A fur bearer license is required for taking bobcat and fox.

If you check the regulations I believe one needs a furbearer license for racoon also. That is in Oregon.

Three44s
10-30-2021, 09:32 AM
Great video!

I thank you again Wolfdog91, you always bring a degree of “jazz” and interest to Boolits!

The video also underscores the true nature of hound hunting. Those that look down their nose at it need to understand that you don’t sick a bunch of dogs out and instantly kill everything in sight. Be it far from it, there is a lot of science, art and HARD WORK associated with it. The opportunity to harvest your intended prey does not “grow on trees”! (pun intended)

Best regards

Three44s

Wolfdog91
10-30-2021, 08:33 PM
Really glad to hear how much everyone enjoyed it ! Actually probably going to be going out again in a few hours!

Forty Rod Ray
10-30-2021, 08:52 PM
When I was a little feller,I would ride on my Dad’s shoulders. Sometimes the rocking motion of following the dogs would put me to sleep.

As I grew older the chorus of the pack became the most exciting thing you heard.

Now I’m on the edge 80 hunting seasons. All those hunters are long in heaven and no one can remember which hound had the best nose or could “tree” the fastest or whose song told volumes about his prey… the dim past is often relit with the nudge of a simple word…

I haven’t thought about those wonderful nights in decades.

Thanks for the memories….

Ray in Alabumma

Really glad to hear how much everyone enjoyed it ! Actually probably going to be going out again in a few hours!