PDA

View Full Version : general purpose small batch alloy scale options

oley55
10-25-2021, 02:12 PM
Was wondering what type of inexpensive scale folks are using for your 'going into the casting pot' weighing use. I have been using a cheapo electronic mail scale, but it goes into error mode at or above three pounds and many of my muffin pan ingots are over three pounds. I use a Goodwill procured analog bathroom scale for larger smelting pot purposes, but it is useless for the small casting pot alloy batches.

Most of the bench scales I've seen are crazy expensive for my purposes.

It's not a huge issue, but I am stingy with my tin/pewter supply and try not to exceed 2% if I can. Yea, I'm being anal again.

Mk42gunner
10-25-2021, 08:07 PM
I personally use the old 25 lb Hanson scale that my Grandpa bought in the late 1940's to weigh butter with. It has been close enough for me the uses I put have.

I may upgrade to the 30 lb digital that my Mom and stepdad used in their restaurant, but the old Hanson doesn't need electricity.

Robert

Hossfly
10-25-2021, 08:51 PM
A good kitchen scale, electronic would be good for the range we need for alloying the pot. I use old refrigerant scale measures in oz and goes to about 30-50#

JimB..
10-25-2021, 09:24 PM
I have a postal scale that goes to 8 lbs. cheap, staples I think.

kevin c
10-26-2021, 04:29 AM
Electric kitchen scale from Wally World. It weighs up to 11# in pounds and ounces down to a tenth of an ounce (when doing calculations I convert everything into ounces).

Actually, I rarely mix alloy in pot sized batches. Mostly I use premade alloy prepared in my processing pot that'll do ~250#. Weighing ingredient metals for that I use a digital postal scale that'll go up to 110#.

Yeah, both pots will hold about double the scales' capacities, but I just go around twice per full pot's worth.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-26-2021, 10:17 AM
I use a vintage analog Kitchen scale 0 to 25 lbs.

ulav8r
10-26-2021, 10:55 PM
I have one similar to this one, but a 60 pound capacity. https://www.amazon.com/ACCUTECK-W-8250-50bs-Digital-Adapter-Silver/dp/B00SMHWZ42/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=digital+postal+scale&qid=1635303186&sr=8-2

Keyman
10-26-2021, 11:33 PM
This will work for your scale if it has a TARE button. Weigh any thing that will not go over 3 pounds on your scale. Write down weights, put them on scale and hit tare button, and scale will say "0" then add your item. Add weight of item that was removed, and the current weight.:happy dance:

gwpercle
10-27-2021, 04:04 PM
One part tin to twenty parts lead .
One part tin to sixteen parts lead .
One part tin to ten parts lead .
One part COWW to one part soft lead .

What is there to weigh ... Parts is Parts ...

Old school casters don't need no scales ... how much does a part weigh ?
If you must ...steal the one your wife weighs herself on ... then claim ignorance and lie about it's where abouts ...
...ALiens came down and Took It away !
Gary

Winger Ed.
10-27-2021, 04:08 PM
The few times I've wanted to use a scale for heavy stuff,
I didn't need accuracy down to .0001, so I just borrowed the bathroom scale.

oley55
10-27-2021, 05:40 PM
This will work for your scale if it has a TARE button. Weigh any thing that will not go over 3 pounds on your scale. Write down weights, put them on scale and hit tare button, and scale will say "0" then add your item. Add weight of item that was removed, and the current weight.:happy dance:

I tried that and it went to error.

Walter Laich
10-27-2021, 07:52 PM
I have one similar to this one, but a 60 pound capacity. https://www.amazon.com/ACCUTECK-W-8250-50bs-Digital-Adapter-Silver/dp/B00SMHWZ42/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=digital+postal+scale&qid=1635303186&sr=8-2

was showing this to my wife and she said order it! Then I found out she plans to use it when she ships packages.

A Win-Win for both of us

Walter Laich
10-27-2021, 07:55 PM
I have a very scientific way to mix my alloys: when the pot is low I add whatever I have laying around to fill it back up

shooting cowboys loads at mouse-fart speeds with powder coated bullets doesn't require rocket-scientist alloy mixes :grin:

samari46
10-27-2021, 11:33 PM
I have an old scale I bought years back for weighing items to be sent by either Fedex or UPS. Would have to look for it as I haven;t seen it recently. My plastic shelving collapsed so my den/reloading room has stuff stacked all over the place.
Frank

Wheelguns 1961
10-28-2021, 12:04 AM
I have an electronic mail scale. I think it weighs to 15 pounds. It measures pounds/ounces. It is just a cheap walmart job, but it has held up so far. I am on the second or third battery, and it automatically shuts itself off. It is going on four or five years, and it lives a rough life.

gwpercle
10-28-2021, 01:39 PM
I have a very scientific way to mix my alloys: when the pot is low I add whatever I have laying around to fill it back up

shooting cowboys loads at mouse-fart speeds with powder coated bullets doesn't require rocket-scientist alloy mixes :grin:

I like the way you think ...

Great minds think alike :drinks:
Gary

murf205
10-28-2021, 02:43 PM
I bought a 0-40;b ACCUTECK scale from Amazon 8 yrs ago with the 110 volt adapter. It does ounces as easily as it does pounds. Good deal for $20. I use it to weigh tin also when I am making up a big batch of ingots.