PDA

View Full Version : Yard sale score

FISH4BUGS
10-25-2021, 08:01 AM
Our LGS (Renaissance Arms, Barrington, NH) held its yard sale on Friday.
Tons of crap that someone, somewhere I am sure could use.
I was poking through all the junk and came across TWO full boxes of Remington and Winchester 86 gr SP 25-20 rounds in the original boxes.
$10 out the door.
SCORE!

myg30
10-25-2021, 08:11 AM
You sure hit the jackpot there. I’m sure you can put those to good use. If not,
A member over on the high road is looking for factory 25/20, guess he’s not a reloader and would probably pay dearly for those since he just got a rifle out of lay away.

Mike

FISH4BUGS
10-25-2021, 09:09 AM
You sure hit the jackpot there. I’m sure you can put those to good use. If not,
A member over on the high road is looking for factory 25/20, guess he’s not a reloader and would probably pay dearly for those since he just got a rifle out of lay away.
Mike

I feel for him, but how am I going to feed my own 2 25/20's?
Savage Sporter and Win 92?
I DO cast and reload for these, however.

hoodat
10-25-2021, 09:09 AM
After you shoot those, send me the brass, and I'll give ya your ten bucks back.8-) jd

cwtebay
10-25-2021, 10:29 AM
That's a heck of a good score!! Well done!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

gwpercle
10-25-2021, 11:12 AM
I just love yard sales ...
A while back I bought a Lyman All-American Turret press with a set of 38/357 mag and a set of 30-06 Lyman A-A Dies complete with shell holders and Lyman primer pocket tools, bucket of brass a few thousand primers and a few boxes of those sweet .357" Speer half-jacket bullets all for $75.00 ...
I bought everything except one item on the table ... a measure
As we are walking to the car the Lady holding the sale runs up and hands me the Lyman 55 Powder Measure ... I told her I had one and hadn't paid for the measure ... She say's ..."No you take it ...what the heck am I going to do with that silly thing !" ... Free Lyman 55 and I did find plenty use for it ... I Love Yard Sales !!!

Score and Extra Points :drinks:
Gary

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-25-2021, 02:31 PM
WARNING Thread Drift, but still a yard sale score.

For some time, I've been on the lookout for a replacement engine for my tiller.
Saturday, I had some time to kill and drove around looking for some garage sales, I stumbled on a few and one of them had a bunch of lawn and garden equipment spread all over the yard. There was a Honda pressure sprayer that looked to have seen better days. Nothing was marked at this sale, so I asked about it. He said the engine did run fine, but pump was shot. He didn't plan on selling it, he planned on fixing it. I asked how much? He said $50. He tried to get it started, never fired while he was pulling and spraying starting fluid in carb and directly into cylinder. He said it's probably the points. I thought to myself, there ain't no stinking points in that newer looking 6.5hp GX200 engine. I offer him $20 as he couldn't get it started. He said how about $25 and if I didn't want the Pump, He'd give me $5 back if I remove the pump and bring it back to him.
DONE DEAL !

I get it home and unplug the wire going to the ON - OFF switch and it fires right up. I shut it down right away, cuz the oil looked real dark. Then I drained the gas, added fresh gas and then changed oil (twice). Rans like NEW, it didn't even need the carb cleaned.

Winger Ed.
10-25-2021, 04:38 PM
I feel for him, but how am I going to feed my own 2 25/20's?

Good score, and yeah,,,,, grab & scratch for all of 'em you can get.
It's every man for himself on those!

FISH4BUGS
10-26-2021, 12:54 PM
Good score, and yeah,,,,, grab & scratch for all of 'em you can get.
It's every man for himself on those!

I bought 300 25-20 here formed from 32-20 from a gentleman that recently passed.
Plenty of brass but hey - how can you pass?

Shawlerbrook
10-26-2021, 01:24 PM
Nothing like a good yard/garage sale. Congratulations !!

Isaac
10-28-2021, 07:38 AM
Yard sales, flea markets and junk yards = treasure hunting! I have found so my useful things to use in the loading room and/or garage at these places. Always worth a look see!

Isaac

Ithaca Gunner
10-28-2021, 09:30 AM
Around here we have a sportsman's flea market four times a year, run by a Mennonite fellow. He rents tables like a gun show, but it's just guys selling stuff they no longer want or need, no dealers. The bargains I've gotten there!..and a few projects too for better or worse.

Idaho45guy
10-28-2021, 03:43 PM
Not many gems up in my current area, but when I lived in Iowa, the estate sales and auctions were amazing. I bought antiques at incredibly low prices. Bought a Duncan Phyfe dining room set with claw feet legs and 8 matching chairs in perfect condition for $55.

When I moved to Arizona, I found the yard sales to be incredible treasure hunts. Go to the rich neighborhoods and they sell stuff for nothing.

My ex-wife went to one yard sale and found 30 sets of brand new Fiestaware dinner sets. $50. Each set was worth around $100. When we divorced, she listed them at the top of list of things she got, lol.

Ithaca Gunner
10-29-2021, 08:37 AM
Best treasure I got at a yard sale was a 120Lb. anvil with, ''U.S.N. 1896'' cast on it for $35.00!

Winger Ed.
10-29-2021, 03:55 PM
My ex-wife went to one yard sale and found 30 sets of brand new Fiestaware dinner sets. $50. Each set was worth around $100. .

Middle age women will kill for that stuff.

Mrs. Winger has a couple of sets of it, and awhile back I broke a plate.
Whew! I thought she was going to shoot me in my sleep over that.

RogerDat
10-29-2021, 04:12 PM
Most of the garage sales around here have not yielded the sort of treasures you guys speak of. I find an odd piece of pewter that isn't prices as solid silver if not gold. Some rolls of solder here and there. Plus the assorted item I hope to get to shop or shed without it being noticed by better half.

Have only gone to a few estate sales, about the same. Did have a friend find in a local sale a 44 mag Handi rifle for around $150 but that guy has the luck that would let him fall into an outhouse pit and come out with a valuable diamond ring with a big reward stuck to him.

Maybe when I retire I'll do estate and garage sales instead of gun shows. I'm down $7 and maybe parking just to walk in the door of a show. That would cover 50 miles of driving around to sales.

Winger Ed.
10-29-2021, 04:16 PM
Maybe when I retire I'll do estate and garage sales instead of gun shows.

I've only seen a handful of stuff at DFW gun shows here that wasn't at least 'full retail plus 30%', or it was just trash.
Garage sales aren't much better. Here, if there is any bargains to be had, it'll be at Estate sales.

David2011
10-30-2021, 10:28 PM
My best gun related yard sale find was two rolls of solder. One was nice electronic Multi-Core and the other was a one pound roll of Brownells High Force 44 that sells for over $100. Set me back a buck each.

Best kitchen related score was an espresso machine for $10 and matching bean grinder for $5. Retail on the espresso machine was $800 and the grinder was $150. No, I wouldn’t pay that kind of money for them either.