PDA

View Full Version : Spotting scope for long-range work.

marlinman93
10-24-2021, 05:32 PM
Our monthly collector gun show was this morning, and I came home with a "new" spotting scope and tripod! The scope is a French Selci 36x from 1890, with perfect optics! The tripod is a British item from the same era.
The tripod will need two steel points on the end of two legs, as it's only got one. I may build three, so they all match, and look the same.

https://i.imgur.com/Xi3hUvMl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4V5grucl.jpg

Might not be quite as good as my modern Kowa, but sure will look cooler at our long-range shoots!

Butzbach
10-24-2021, 07:24 PM
So have you started on the widow's peak for your home?

marlinman93
10-24-2021, 10:21 PM
So have you started on the widow's peak for your home?

Afraid I have no idea what you're talking about.

MUSTANG
10-24-2021, 10:39 PM
Marlinman93

He's referring to a Widows Walk

Supposed origin of design was that New England Wives (and Widows) would stand on the Railed Roof looking over the Ocean for their Husband Sea Captains return.

marlinman93
10-24-2021, 11:23 PM
Marlinman93

He's referring to a Widows Walk

Supposed origin of design was that New England Wives (and Widows) would stand on the Railed Roof looking over the Ocean for their Husband Sea Captains return.

Thanks! I've heard of a "widow's walk", but a "widow's peak" is a hairline, so confused me.

uscra112
10-25-2021, 02:00 AM
Fabulous! Some guys have all the luck!

sharps4590
10-25-2021, 08:33 AM
How flippin' cool izzat!?!?!?! If someone doesn't love vintage stuff.....well, there's something morally deficient in them....lol. No, not really but, modern stuff definitely lacks the elegance and character of vintage stuff.

marlinman93
10-25-2021, 09:53 AM
Probably wont be quite as easy to use as my Kowa spotting scope, but shooting 1800's long range BP rifles just seems like a scope like this is more appropriate to use. I'm sure the guys at the gun club will enjoy seeing and using it too.

Green Frog
10-25-2021, 01:50 PM
OK Vall, now you’ve gotta lay on your back to shoot your Ballard in 44-70 with the tang sight mounted on the heel of the butts stock. Don’t forget to wax your handlebar mustache and have your derby hat freshly blocked and brushed. :mrgreen:

Froggie

marlinman93
10-25-2021, 06:48 PM
OK Vall, now you’ve gotta lay on your back to shoot your Ballard in 44-70 with the tang sight mounted on the heel of the butts stock. Don’t forget to wax your handlebar mustache and have your derby hat freshly blocked and brushed. :mrgreen:

Froggie

First I'd need to own a Ballard in .44-70 Charlie! I do own a #7 Ballard Long-Range rifle in .44-100, but it isn't set up for the heel sight position. So I'd just have to assume the back position instead.
Or I can use my original Remington Creedmoor in .44-77 SBN, which is set up with the base in the heel location!

Green Frog
10-26-2021, 11:05 AM
Whatever! We would all love to see pictures of our favorite Ballard-ista all gussied up in period clothing and contorting himself into one of the classic Creedmoor positions. I’ll print out a copy for the inside of my shooting box top! [smilie=l:

Your Phriendly Phrog

OS OK
10-26-2021, 11:33 AM
Very cool spotting scope!

https://i.imgur.com/yvKSlib.jpg

GARD72977
10-26-2021, 02:18 PM
That is a awsome piece of vintage gear. How good are the optics?

marlinman93
10-27-2021, 11:17 AM
That is a awsome piece of vintage gear. How good are the optics?

As I mentioned, they are excellent! Not as good as my modern Kowa in 45x, but I wouldn't expect that. But still plenty good to spot hits on dingers at 1000 yds. If shooting paper at the same distance, I'm not sure even my Kowa would see holes?

marlinman93
10-27-2021, 11:20 AM
Very cool spotting scope!

https://i.imgur.com/yvKSlib.jpg

Thanks!
I recently acquired a 18"x25" of that same drawing from a friend at our gun show. He also had a print of the American Creedmoor team photo, and a drawing of the American Creedmoor trophy that was designed and built by Tiffany's in New York. All in the same 18"x25" size. I need to get all three prints framed so I can hang them in my gun room.

Green Frog
10-27-2021, 11:36 AM
I’d hate to be the guy in the fore front of this picture. Shooting one of those big boomers from a regular prone position looks like cruisin’ for a bruisin’! Those period scopes show just how well you did getting yours. When you get the prints framed and hung on your gun room wall, you’ll have a great place to display the scope and stand as well.

Froggie

marlinman93
10-27-2021, 06:57 PM
I’d hate to be the guy in the fore front of this picture. Shooting one of those big boomers from a regular prone position looks like cruisin’ for a bruisin’! Those period scopes show just how well you did getting yours. When you get the prints framed and hung on your gun room wall, you’ll have a great place to display the scope and stand as well.

Froggie

I would love that Charlie, but with my safes, loading bench, gun cases, shelving, and ammo lockers; I can maybe find wall space for the pictures. But actually opening up this tripod and displaying it in the gun room can't happen.
I do have a small French table top tripod for this same scope, and they are much more rare than the scope, or the tall tripods. I use the small tripod when we have our annual collector gun show here, as part of my Creedmoor display. It can sit on the table and take up very little space.

I read that John Bodine shot just as the guy in the forefront did, and even back then observers were surprised he did shoot prone. But his last shot in the prone position, with a badly cut hand, actually won the first Creedmoor Match for the US!

John Boy
10-28-2021, 10:21 AM
Vall, it’s called Stepping Back into Time. That’s why I reload 22rf’s with black powder too
Congratulations on your new scope

marlinman93
10-28-2021, 11:32 AM
Vall, it’s called Stepping Back into Time. That’s why I reload 22rf’s with black powder too
Congratulations on your new scope

Thanks John!
I'm currently taking a step in reloading and shooting I swore I'd never take. Beginning my foray into loading BP. Of course a bad time to do so with the lack of BP available, but I have good friends who provided me a couple pounds of Old Ensford to get started.
I'm as green as anyone could be at BP, but I want to shoot my recently acquired Remington Creedmoor rifle with the same thing it was originally fired with when it was new in 1873.
So I'm gathering up wads, powder, and the most important part....information! I have a few friends who are well versed in shooting BP, and are very helpful with the last part. So soon I'll be launching my first loads down range, and hope they are accurate enough to shoot in our long range BPCR matches here.

shutinlead
10-29-2021, 12:04 PM
Vall,
I gave in and picked one of them up at the C-Springs show, took it out and tried it a week or so ago. My problem that time was the wind was howling fairly well. It's quite a sail! Gave it a good try but in the end I had to go back to the Leica on a Leofoto tripod. I'm hoping to use it soon, it did get some attention though and the glass is good for the vintage. Have fun with it.
Greg

marlinman93
10-29-2021, 12:33 PM
Vall,
I gave in and picked one of them up at the C-Springs show, took it out and tried it a week or so ago. My problem that time was the wind was howling fairly well. It's quite a sail! Gave it a good try but in the end I had to go back to the Leica on a Leofoto tripod. I'm hoping to use it soon, it did get some attention though and the glass is good for the vintage. Have fun with it.
Greg

I have had a short table top stand I got from Craig many years ago. He's tried to talk me into selling back to him the small tripod almost since he first sold it to me! He said that size tripod is far more scarce than the scopes that fit it.
I haven't found much use for the tripod as the scope is so long I can't set the tripod on my shooting bench, and not end up with the eyepiece too far behind me to look through. So the tall tripod is much easier to use at the range, but small tripod gets used for display purposes.

tnlonghunter
11-21-2021, 08:39 AM
Wow, that is seriously cool. Did you also get a good vintage case? If not, it's seriously in need of a mahogany, velvet-lined case with brass hardware. And a valet to carry everything for you.

charlie b
11-21-2021, 08:50 AM
Nice find.

I always thought an old surveyor's tripod would make a good base for a spotting scope. Once could find a nice telescope and make an adaptor to fit the mount. Or maybe even 'jam' it into an old transit mount.

marlinman93
11-21-2021, 11:54 AM
Wow, that is seriously cool. Did you also get a good vintage case? If not, it's seriously in need of a mahogany, velvet-lined case with brass hardware. And a valet to carry everything for you.

I have a newer padded zippered case I keep it in for travel. But I could use my Kowa spotting scope case too as it's a really nice hard case, with a leather or leather like covering. I'd just move my Kowa to the zipper case and use it if I want a classy case.
The tripod legs came with a white canvas slip on case they slide into, which looks pretty period. Not sure if they used cases then, or had a carry strap that the legs could be strapped to for shoulder carry?

marlinman93
11-21-2021, 11:57 AM
Nice find.

I always thought an old surveyor's tripod would make a good base for a spotting scope. Once could find a nice telescope and make an adaptor to fit the mount. Or maybe even 'jam' it into an old transit mount.

I suppose they could if you can find a set old enough? Most I've seen are far heavier than scope tripods, and would work great, but be extremely heavy. And of course their base for the transit are a big flat affair that would require a machined adapter made to fit a scope.

charlie b
11-22-2021, 12:00 AM
Yep, they are heavy. Out here where the wind blows a lot the extra weight is welcome. I've only used them for cameras. Made an adapter from a transit that had a busted scope.

samari46
11-22-2021, 12:56 AM
I have a base from an old lamp. About 3/4" thick and 6" in diameter. Brass plated with a channel on the underside for the electric cord. Soon as I get the time will make up a center piece out of brass and solder it into the brass pipe that the wires run through. Buddy of mine bought a surveyors tripod and made up the adaptor for 1/4"x20 threads for spotting scope use. All brass hardware and what looks like oak for the legs. Definitely a one of a kind tripod. Bought it from a pawn shop. A cheap stand can be made from a 4" c clamp with holes drilled for a piece of brass pipe and a stud made from a brass 1/4"x20 screw. The one I made would clamp to our clubs concrete bench top. Get the clamp from Harbor Freight about as cheap as you can find. Frank

marlinman93
11-22-2021, 11:57 AM
Although all modern scopes use the standard 1/4" mounting holes, the old scopes all used a band clamp around the scope body. If you're just going for a stable, good heavy tripod for a modern scope, a transit tripod is an excellent choice. But if you have an old scope you'll need to get brass flat bar and shape up a clamp type banded mount to make it appear period.