PDA

View Full Version : How not to lose that tiny part

housedad
01-13-2009, 04:00 AM
I have read on here in more that a couple of posts how folks will have a part jump out on them when they are disassembling a gun for cleaning or repair. They then speak as how they spent a long time in frustration trying to find the part.

When I started my gunsmithing shop years ago (now closed), I would have parts taking off and landing in the worst areas to get them out of, if I could find them. After a couple of years of this, I found a cure.

First off, don't tear it down on a hard surface or even a rubber surface. Parts just love to bounce off them. Find a piece of very dense open pile rug and use that as the surface of the table. Make it around 2 foot by 3 or so. Use this rug ONLY for disassembly and assembly. You don't want any stray metal filings or crap to scratch your guns. using this, I found that almost every piece that flies at the table gets caught in the rug and does not bounce away.

Second, wear a shop apron. It is amazing how many times parts will just roll off the bench or go fly, hit your chest, and then land on your apron.

Third and last, go to K-mart or Walmart and get yourself a really nice big fluffy beach towel and a smaller standard size.

When you are disassembling or assembling and find yourself in a situation that MIGHT have a part fly at you, set everything up for the procedure, and then cover the gun, your hands , and any thing else you need to with the towel. Cover your head and make a pup tent if you have to see! (just don't let your wife wind you at that moment. It could be embarassing)

So often, it is so worth it not to lose that part and then have to make another, search at numrich, or pray you can find it.

Bion Rogers

PS There is nothing wose than to work on a european shotgun and have a metric detent ball and spring fly away to neverland. Durn hard to find replacements!!!

Cap'n Morgan
01-13-2009, 11:45 AM
There is nothing wose than to work on a european shotgun and have a metric detent ball and spring fly away to neverland. Durn hard to find replacements!!!

Here's a trick I saw in an old "Popular Mechanic", should you happen to drop a tiny part on the floor: Turn off the light and use a flashlight placed flat on the floor; any object caught in the beam will cast a long shadow, making it easier to spot.

atr
01-13-2009, 12:22 PM
I second both the above posts....I always disassamble over a piece of carpet, both on the floor and on the work bench......if something does escape then I use that flashlight method, or a use a very high intensity hand held light.

cabezaverde
01-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Another idea. For working on a pistol or revolver, put your hands and the gun inside a large plastic bag - you can see and any flying parts are trapped.

Frank46
01-14-2009, 01:04 AM
I've always used the flashlight trick. And because I'm lazy I bought one of the extendable magnetic probes with the magnet at the end. Just extend it and zap there's your part. Cost about $9 at autozone. Frank

trevj
01-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Get a strip magnet from the office supply store. You can sweep along the floor, and as often as not, find your small steel parts.

I learned about the usefulness of THAT trick, while learning that a set of $40 tweezers was a really good investment, if it allowed you to securely grip a $12 each, tiny, watch screw, and not have it disappear off across the room.

A workspace with smooth vinyl floors is handy, too. After the 'tick' of parts coming loose, listen for the 'tick' of landing parts. Helps if you still have most of your hearing, and you are not habitually listening to a radio, while you should be paying attention to what you are doing.

The light trick is good! BTDT. A lot!

One soon learns to be very aware of which parts are prone to vanish....

Cheers
Trev

LIMPINGJ
01-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Like cabezaverde said, I use the free rifle size that come from the Cleaners.

twotrees
01-18-2009, 10:53 AM
cardboard box. If parts fly they are still inside the box. Sometimes still a bear to find, but keep looking, their in there. :p

Junior1942
01-18-2009, 10:57 AM
cardboard box. If parts fly they are still inside the box. Sometimes still a bear to find, but keep looking, their in there. :pYes! A beer flat!!!

Clark
01-24-2009, 01:44 AM
I took apart a Savage semi auto pistol and the spring and plunger seemed to land in a bucket of metal filings from the lathe and mill.

A year later, I found that the parts had landed in a cardboard box.
I'm going to put that pistol back together one of these days.

smokemjoe
02-10-2009, 09:47 AM
little kids work good, better eyes and closer to the floor.

John Taylor
02-10-2009, 04:09 PM
It's really fun in a machine shop, with squiggly little pieces every where, to loose a spring. Every little piece of metal on the floor looks like a spring and a magnet is not the best tool to use.
Most of the time I just make a new part rather than waist all day looking. I have found that it is a good idea to know when something is under pressure and hold you hand over the part so it doesn't "vaporize" into thin air.

Ben
02-10-2009, 05:48 PM
When I die, they will be cleaning and sweeping under my bench saying ......." Gee, I wonder that all these pins, screws, and springs fit ? "

joey02g
02-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Keep a pack of dental floss on the bench -- easy to lasso the little fliers before they launch.