PDA

View Full Version : Question on Grip Screws

Uncle Grinch
10-22-2021, 11:24 AM
I want to replace the grip screws on my Star BM. According to a couple of web posts they are M3-.05x6. However when I tried a replacement of this size, it was too little. So I picked up some M4-.07x6 and they feel too large as they only turn in less than one turn and get tight.

Any help will be appreciated. I know I can order from several sources, but I’m not confident I’ll get the correct size, plus shipping cost as much as the screws.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-22-2021, 12:11 PM
If you want to replace them because the slots are chewed up and unattractive you can probably get original screws from any of several parts houses. J&G Sales has been selling the pistols and parts for several years. Another place to try would be e-bay. I've replaced the screws on several obscure pistols over the years including the BM and even found stainless screws.
If not too bad, chewed up originals can be dressed down, slots recut, screws cold blued.

DG

Uncle Grinch
10-22-2021, 08:22 PM
DG, thanks, but I’m aware of these sites and a few others. I’d really like to know the thread size, pitch and length.

fc60
10-23-2021, 11:57 AM
Greetings,

To calculate the thread pitch do this.

Remove both grip panels.

Thread in one screw that is fairly undamaged.

Measure the thickness of the frame and screw combined.

Now, back off the screw exactly one turn.

Measure the distance traveled.

0.5mm = 0.0197".

If Metric, careful measuring with determine the pitch.

Cheers,

Dave