PDA

View Full Version : Propane / Butane Gas stove

pastime
10-21-2021, 09:00 PM
As I posted earlier I am in the process of building a small time lead casting set up. As recommend by some I purchased a Lyman ten pound cast iron pot and a Lyman casting dipper. Now I am looking for a heat source. I want something that does not need electricity to function. I have been looking at the Gas One propane or butane GS-3400 stove. (see image below). It is rated at 8,000 BTU. Is 8,000 BTU enough to melt lead in a timely and usable manner? I read that it is but I wanted to ask the experts. What is your opinion on using this stove (see link below) for a small time casting set up? I will mainly be casting buckshot and slugs and possibly handgun boolits at some point. Any other suggestions are welcome.
To add: I found a calculator / https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/latent-heat-melting-solids-d_96.html / that stated it takes 23 BTU to melt one pound of lead. If that is the case then using ten lbs as a base it would take 230 BTU to melt ten pounds of lead?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HQRD8EO/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

centershot
10-21-2021, 11:04 PM
If you're considering propane as a fuel, you're going to want to use 20# tanks for economy's sake. I cast a lot of boolits on a Coleman single burner camp stove when I started out, you can run those on pump gas. The stove you indicate will work but you need to consider that you only have a ten pound pot, so you will need to refill often. That drops your melt temp and time to reach casting temp may be a factor. 8000 BTU might be sufficient, I'm not sure.

tunnug
10-21-2021, 11:15 PM
The stove shown uses butane canisters, I've never seen propane in those type canisters ( shaped like a spray paint can).

Edit; Never mind, I clicked on the link and saw the conversion hose.

pastime
10-22-2021, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the responses. I was not planning on using the butane. I had in mind to get an adapter that ties in with the original propane gas line that comes with the stove. It allows a connection to a 20 lb propane tank. Runs around sixteen dollars. My plan is to use this setup as a backup type of thing. It has gotten kind of tight with the price and availability of shot shells for the last year. I am not looking to make a ton of castings. I just want to have it available if needed. I am retired and have all day to pick and choose what I want to do. If I really want to start going at it I suppose I could expand the operation but I really do not see that happening

Stewbaby
10-22-2021, 05:58 AM
You really need about 15,000 btu per 10 lbs to melt it in a reasonable time if outside with variable conditions and topping of pot as you go.

georgerkahn
10-22-2021, 06:37 AM
I have a couple of these at camp -- "Super-great-plus!!!" when used as cookstoves -- e.g., for making/heating soup with one; the coffee pot with the 2nd. However, I would personally NOT recommend their use for casting for two reasons: 1st, they use specialized butane cans to work; these are NOT available anywhere local in my area, and vis mail-order are quite costly. 2nd, while they are AWESOME as cooking appliances, one of their features is their being very light weight -- hence, I'm not too comfortable putting a cast iron pan on to fry bacon -- a pot with lead? Imho, toooo heavy for SAFE use! A 3rd factor, too, which may not be germane to your usage is last hunting season on a near 0*C day, with the regulator on HIGHEST, the flame was really quite teeny. This makes kind of a challenge, as one would wish to ONLY melt lead/alloy outdoors... but if it's really cold out... You get the idea, I hope.
Just my experience with these -- again GREAT!!! -- for cooking (only!) stoves!
geo

Wayne Smith
10-22-2021, 08:29 AM
Yup, way to light. If you are gonna use propane go to Northern and get a gas burner - they come relatively cheap and in many configurations, including one at waist hight and with two burners. You are not getting this for backpacking or for car camping, you are getting this for a relatively stable installation - get something that will last.

GregLaROCHE
10-22-2021, 09:48 AM
Don’t rule out a wood fire if you have wood available. With the price of energy going up, I may try a wood fire for melting range scrap before I get my propane bottle filled again.

DanLee
10-22-2021, 11:32 AM
I use a Coleman two-burner white gasoline stove to deal with smelting range lead. A small cast iron plumber's pot goes on top. Cheap, sturdy, and pretty quick once everything's up to speed.

pastime
10-22-2021, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. They all make good sense. I was looking at the wood stoves last night an they are a definite option as I have ten acres of woods in my backyard. FYI to georgerkahn. Your stove may or may not have this but the stove I pictured above comes with an adapter that allows it to be connected to a one pound propane bottle. If not you can purchase one. Thanks for the post though. I am in no hurry. For me researching this stuff is almost as enjoyable as the doing. Plus I learn a lot in the process. Thanks again. I am still open for suggestions?

georgerkahn
10-23-2021, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. They all make good sense. I was looking at the wood stoves last night an they are a definite option as I have ten acres of woods in my backyard. FYI to georgerkahn. Your stove may or may not have this but the stove I pictured above comes with an adapter that allows it to be connected to a one pound propane bottle. If not you can purchase one. Thanks for the post though. I am in no hurry. For me researching this stuff is almost as enjoyable as the doing. Plus I learn a lot in the process. Thanks again. I am still open for suggestions?

Thanks for adapter info... I may look into it. On the other hand, I had to buy a six-pack of Butane cans, and at the time thought perhaps purchasing two units? However, much to my pleasant surprise, using one stove primarily to heat coffee pot and/or soup; the other for frying bacon/eggs, hot dogs, burgers, and other "fast food at camp" I am, quite frankly, more than impressed as to how long one butane cylinder seems to last!
Re your needs/want -- it surely appears you have a good head on your shoulders -- BEST!!!
geo

pastime
10-23-2021, 10:50 PM
Take this for what it is worth. From what I read researching, the propane lasts longer and produces more heat. Keep in mind this is what I read on the net. Right now I am looking at wood stoves.

Hitnmiss
10-24-2021, 03:26 AM
Do you have natural gas line to your house? If so, it burns hotter then propane. You might be able to find an old 2 burner stove and use that for melting range scrap.

45-70 fan
10-24-2021, 11:40 AM
I had my daughter make me a rocket stove. It works great and doesn't cost me a thing to use it other than the scraps I have left over in my garage from wood working. I don't have a picture of it but it is very similar to this one.

pressonregardless
10-24-2021, 07:32 PM
^^^^^

Now that is cool !! We need some pics of this bad boy in action !!

pastime
10-25-2021, 03:50 AM
Hitmiss>
I do not have natural gas at my place.

45-70 fan>
How big is the stove your daughter made for you? Most of the ones like that I have run across are pretty small. Does it get hot enough for production or do you just use it for melting ingots?

Any body use charcoal as a fuel for melting lead? An old stand up grill might work if it gets hot enough? I have a bunch of simple to make ideas for a heat source. The simplest would be a fire pit with a good grate over it. I could heat up the mold and keep it warm while a I am melting the lead.