PDA

View Full Version : How To Lube the Lee APP Press

Liberty1776
10-19-2021, 09:45 PM
I set up my Lee APP press today.

What a dream machine to 1) decap and 2) remove the factory crimp from 9mm.

Haven't tried other calibers yet.

Set it up with the 4-up case feed tube system and the case collator. Loads shells in seconds.

Did a bit of custom contrivance to mount an Akro-Mils bin sideways, using a simple right-angle bracket I had in my Angle Brackets Department. Works really well to receive the processed brass.

The APP makes depriming almost fun. :-)

But here's my question:

I read the owner's manual completely, looked through the Lee website, and looked on YouTube, but found nothing on recommendations for lubrication.

The press has metal-on-metal and metal-on-plastic parts. Some say to use mineral oil on the plastic parts. Some say Balistol. I tried some silicon that I use on PVC valves and other pool fittings, but I don't particularly like how it's performing.

Dillon says to use only 30W motor oil on metal-to-metal. Can't really argue with that.

But what about the sliding plastic parts? What's best to lube them?

Any ideas on lubrication schedule for the Lee APP?

Valley-Shooter
10-20-2021, 02:56 AM
I use spray on furniture polish on the plastic parts. Keeps them moving smoothly.

The 2 vertical steel rods, I use red grease. It's easy to wipe off when it's dirty. I don't like to use oil that's going to run off and soak into my bench.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

GWS
10-20-2021, 09:45 AM
My lube of choice for plastic slider....(and door latches and padalocks for years). It never gums up or turns into varnish. Fine Graphite powder from an automotive parts store. I burnish into the plastic with some paper towel and it works for a long time.

JimB..
10-20-2021, 10:10 AM
Best I’ve found for the sliders is paste wax.