PDA

View Full Version : Altamont Grips

mattd
10-18-2021, 07:54 PM
Just got some rosewood wrap around grips for my Ruger Mark 2.

It’s not the quality I expected. They aren’t super expensive, but thought I’d check here in case I was expecting too much.

I’ll say that the company has been very Custer service oriented, and I’m sure would make it right.

Putty filling a void in the most obvious spot. It’s soft putty too so it pulls out.

Dosent meet up across the top

Dosent meet up along the seam, causing a light colored line to show up

Also the inside of the screw holes aren finished. Some of them are deep holes so it’s obvious it’s a diff color there.

ShooterAZ
10-18-2021, 08:16 PM
I have quite a few sets of Altamont's. For me, the quality has been a little bit hit and miss. I think I've sent two or three sets back because of quality control problems. They took care of it, no questions asked. They are good people to deal with, and I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.

ohen cepel
10-18-2021, 08:41 PM
Those do look bad! Did you buy them direct from Altamont? I ask as they sell a LOT of 2nds on Gunbroker and I know people who buy those up to flip them without stating that they are 2nds.

bosterr
10-18-2021, 09:03 PM
The fit was pretty poor on a set I bought for a S & W 586. I'll not buy any more Altamont.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-18-2021, 09:17 PM
I have several pairs, mostly for S&W K-frames. I've not had any problems--obviously, as I have several pairs! However, sometimes bad stuff can happen, especially with new employees. I'd send your grips back along with these photos, and I'll bet you get a new pair that fits.

DG

Sasquatch-1
10-19-2021, 08:37 AM
I bought this set several years ago when the original grips split in half. I found out then that Ruger gets their grips from ALTAMONT. At least that is what I was told. I have been very satisfied with the grips and their customer service. I lost a grip screw at the range and they sent me three sets free.

As mentioned, I would contact them and complain and request a new set.

BTW, that set of grips on the Ruger is the only thing Ruger ever wanted to charge me for.