PDA

View Full Version : Advice on shaving a front sight?

Butzbach
10-18-2021, 02:42 PM
I’m going to do one more range session to confirm but it looks like I can’t have a 6 o’clock hold with my new to me H&R Model 999. Covering the target with the front sight (combat hold?) works but is not my 54 year preference. The rear sight is only adjustable for elevation. Most probably because of the top break latch. The revolver hits about 2.5 inches low at 25 meters.

Any advice for shaving and rebluing (mat preferred) the front sight?

Outpost75
10-18-2021, 02:54 PM
I’m going to do one more range session to confirm but it looks like I can’t have a 6 o’clock hold with my new to me H&R Model 999. Covering the target with the front sight (combat hold?) works but is not my 54 year preference. The rear sight is only adjustable for elevation. Most probably because of the top break latch. The revolver hits about 2.5 inches low at 25 meters.

Any advice for shaving and rebluing (mat preferred) the front sight?

To determine the amount of correction needed use the expression X = RE/D where

X is the amount to be removed from the front sight

R is the sight radius

E is the elevation error

D is the target distance.

All dimensions are in INCHES

Measure the height of the front sight from the bottom radius of the barrel to the top of the front sight. You can then remove metal in small increments, repeating the measurement until you have removed exactly the right amount.

I have had good results using Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black to touch up the filed area to produce a flat black finish.

Minor windage adjustments can be made by thinning the front sight, measuring carefully the width of the blade and flat filing a wee bit off the side where you want the point of impact to move. This is easier than trying to widen the rear sight notch in the frame and trying to keep everything true and square without a milling machine.

Texas by God
10-18-2021, 09:14 PM
On my 70's? vintage H&R 999 Sportsman, the windage adjustment is in the rear sight with opposing screws and the front sight is elevation adjustable via a screw on the muzzle end of the sight.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Misery-Whip
10-18-2021, 10:07 PM
Switch to a heavier, slower load will bring your impact up.

Butzbach
10-18-2021, 10:32 PM
Switch to a heavier, slower load will bring your impact up.
Good thought but it's a .22

Butzbach
10-18-2021, 10:35 PM
To determine the amount of correction needed use the expression X = RE/D where

X is the amount to be removed from the front sight

R is the sight radius

E is the elevation error

D is the target distance.

All dimensions are in INCHES

Measure the height of the front sight from the bottom radius of the barrel to the top of the front sight. You can then remove metal in small increments, repeating the measurement until you have removed exactly the right amount.

I have had good results using Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black to touch up the filed area to produce a flat black finish.

Minor windage adjustments can be made by thinning the front sight, measuring carefully the width of the blade and flat filing a wee bit off the side where you want the point of impact to move. This is easier than trying to widen the rear sight notch in the frame and trying to keep everything true and square without a milling machine.

I've got windage handled with the rear sight. Thank you very much for the formula and the bluing tip!

Butzbach
10-18-2021, 11:02 PM
On my 70's? vintage H&R 999 Sportsman, the windage adjustment is in the rear sight with opposing screws and the front sight is elevation adjustable via a screw on the muzzle end of the sight.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Well my face is red! I thought that screw was just to remove the front sight blade. My 999 was made in 1995 and it has the screw. Looks like just a 1/4 turn makes quite an adjustment too. Thank you very much for the info!

Mk42gunner
10-19-2021, 01:50 AM
The formula still works without a file, X just equals sight movement in the case of adjustable sights.

It may not be exact in the real world, but it should get you close.

Robert

Butzbach
10-19-2021, 07:22 AM
The formula still works without a file, X just equals sight movement in the case of adjustable sights.

It may not be exact in the real world, but it should get you close.

Robert

Another good thought. Thanks!