PDA

View Full Version : Cool things where you live.

bakerjw
10-18-2021, 10:05 AM
One of the best things about an online community, and this is certainly one of the best behaved that I've ever seen, is getting perspectives from people in different regions of the country. So many things that we take for granted, others would find exceptionally cool.

I am a fan of the NHRA. No one in the organization gets political. No grandstanding or anything, they just go to race.
This weekend was the Thunder Valley Nationals at the Bristol Motor Speedway. Weather conditions brought us rain Saturday and stiff NE winds yesterday. My wife and I were moving some firewood to the front porch and cleaning up a few things in the yard and we heard a drumming BBBBRRRRRRRRRR sound for about 5 seconds. It was like OMG! That's up at the drag strip. Sure enough, they were running nitro qualifying rounds and the wind was just right for us to hear it.

So. That's our cool thing.

swingingblock2520
10-18-2021, 02:36 PM
I’m a big fan of drag racing and modified diesel teuck&tractor pulling. Other home snd property up on south mountain is about 1/8 mile from our local strip,mason dixon drag strip. During race season you can hear the cars at the track,it was a treat for a gear head like myself.

Forgot the other cool stuff lol C&O canal is located,section of the App trail is accessible off of my property,lots of fishing,hunting and loads of other outdoor activities.

Butzbach
10-18-2021, 02:46 PM
Chuck Norris and Lyle Lovett have ranches just East of here on HWY 90.

jonp
10-18-2021, 02:49 PM
Thats fun. Near us at home was a dirt track. Great racing on Saturday Night under lights and even had a "bring what you drove in" race. Lots of old Impalas, Chevelles and daily drivers guys just wanted to bomb around a track in. Only rule was a helmet and seat belt. Wreck it and you pay the tow

rondog
10-18-2021, 02:49 PM
Don't see them very often, but it's always a thrill to see mule deer in our neighborhood. Saw 5 in our front yard once about 3am, eating bird seed droppings. Saw this big boy out our patio door, browsing in the schoolyard across the street.

swingingblock2520
10-18-2021, 02:50 PM
Forgot we have a dirt track too,Hagerstown Speedway lol

bdicki
10-18-2021, 03:33 PM
https://garlits.com/

BJK
10-18-2021, 03:40 PM
Here in Maine it's nature, fishing, hunting, the coast, foodie destination. Lotsa forest, the most forested state in the nation. In the summer, hiking, App' trail northern terminus is on Mt. Katahdin. In winter skiiing, snowshoeing, and snowmobiling. Acadia national park. Lotsa micro breweries and a few distilleries.

Heck, in my backyard I've had moose, coyote, fox, whitetail deer, black bear.

I guess not too much going on up here. Mostly outdoor stuff where you make your own good time on the one day of summer that we get.

Oh, the flights of flamingos... when they come through it's just spectacular!

https://i.postimg.cc/Cdy9Nt89/Pink-Flamingos-jpg-653x0-q80-crop-smart.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

rondog
10-18-2021, 03:49 PM
https://garlits.com/

Been there, cool museum! I love museums of all kinds, I remember this was a good one.

Wayne Smith
10-18-2021, 04:01 PM
Been to Acadia many times, last time three years ago. Grew up in Palmyra Maine until I was 12, Dad took us to Acadia almost every year. Took us out of school several times to go there. Told us we would learn more there than we did one day in school, and he was actually the Truant Officer for the school as well!

Here we often hear USNavy jets fly over - that's not a problem, like to hear them.

Gator 45/70
10-18-2021, 04:28 PM
Hurricanes and rain, Lotsa rain this year, Cajun stuff, Swamps and mosquitos,

Our women we keep to ourselves. So don't come here looking for the women !

quilbilly
10-18-2021, 04:50 PM
Five minutes away is great clam digging in the spring, crabbing in the summer and winter, and mushroom hunting in the fall, plus five good bass lakes within 15 minutes drive which also have good trout fishing. Duck hunting is pretty good on the bay only five minutes away, too.

Pipefitter
10-18-2021, 06:46 PM
I have a neighbor that is into building nostalgia funny cars, his brother drives it, He as been asking me for years to come watch him race at Martin, Mi.
This year, with the kids out of the house and me not working that particular weekend we finally had time to go and watch.
Great people, fantastic hospitality, and an amazing time!!!
A few minutes before they were due to tow the racecar to the track my buddy comes up to me and says "Hey, do you want to watch this from the track? If security says anything just tell them you are my clutch mechanic."

I got to watch the race from behind the starting line!!! Nothing could compare to standing next to a 8,000+horsepower nitro methane burning funny car when it launches. 268+mph in the eighth mile,,, 7 gallons of nitro to go that far. (And yes, I did get video on my cell phone.)

bedbugbilly
10-18-2021, 08:38 PM
We have the "Brooklyn Bridge" here in Brooklyn . . . . Michigan. Does that count? ? :-)

Outside of town we have the Michigan International Speedway . . . . guess they call it there International Speedway now - should be familiar to NASCAR fans - we pretty much hibernate on race weekends due to the traffic. They also hold "Faster Horses" at the track.

bakerjw
10-18-2021, 09:04 PM
I was chatting with a friend in Washington state one evening and she told me about hearing the sea lions on the beach from her house.

tankgunner59
10-18-2021, 09:15 PM
I actually live in an area that most folks in most other parts of the country have never heard of. I lived in Georgia for a while 40 years ago and worked for a small landscaping operation. One day he asked where I am from, I said Quincy, IL. He replied, Illinois huh? Is that near Chicago? We are located 22 miles up the Mississippi river from Hannibal, MO, Mark Twains home town. Central to some of his best known novels. Everybody who's ever asked me where Quincy is, I asked them if they know where Hannibal, MO is and they said oh yeah. I said we're way up the river 22 miles. lol However, I love the turning of the leaves and our winters. I know most of you will think I'm nuts for loving winter but I do.

CLAYPOOL
10-18-2021, 09:16 PM
We have "METH HEADS". They are fun to watch. Had a early "20'S" girl come in the other night. She had on a Turkey Hunting jacket WITH A SOLID FACE cover from eyes down. She was getting something by me and "I SAID , NICE JACKET. She said your not supposed to see me. When she left i asked the kid by me , "Who's That, he said,..... MORGAN ****. What's up with the face mask Coat. Scratched face because of METH......................hiding it..

15meter
10-18-2021, 09:19 PM
Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village to start around here. Been a member for years. Just walking through the Village on an off day is a good day wasted. Weekends they have shows of all kind. But huge crowds.

Or you make your own fun:

https://youtu.be/Ln3ojlG3H10

jim147
10-18-2021, 09:38 PM
The final round was great. The first round of Top Fuel was also great. 60 pounds of boost at 52 degrees meant record run or huge blow up.

It's been many years since I've been in a shop welding up the windows in the side of the block they make on the weekends. Been a part of NHRA since the mid '80's.

The best thing around me is that my closest neighbor is over a half mile away.

swingingblock2520
10-19-2021, 01:12 AM
Jim147,I never tore up any of my race cars much more than drive lines. But I have spent many a Friday nights in to Saturday mornings tearing down 466 internationals & 12/24v Cummins that spun mains,lifted heads,broken main caps or a myriad of other things let loose from entirely too much boost(100+psi) too much fuel & rpms or tear apart and rebuild an injection pump or injectors or turbos to have a truck or tractor back running for a pull Saturday night lol

Land Owner
10-19-2021, 05:32 AM
Kennedy Space Center and Cape Canaveral Air Force Station are directly across the Indian River from me. Every space launch, hundreds of them, have been observed, good and bad, since the 60's here. It's is a hoot to round the point out of Eddie Creek in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge at 4:00 a.m. to see NASA's Pad 39B to the south all lit up, or a launch from the duck blind "that close" at 5:00 a.m.

Horizontal thrust is good and it's vibration stirs your inner meniscus (parts holding organs in place) but NOTHING rocks your soul like the vertical thrust and vibration of the Space Shuttle (Atlas V, Saturn V in its day), when windows shake and car alarms go off community wide! EVERYBODY goes outside to watch the ascent.

pworley1
10-19-2021, 07:15 AM
Shiloh, Corinth, Brice's Crossroads if you are a Civil War buff.

Randy Bohannon
10-19-2021, 07:33 AM
Buffalo WY (a.k.a. Durant ) Scene of Owen Wister’s masterpiece of American literature “ The Virginian” Johnson County War,Wagon Box fight. General Reno learned his Civil War tactics fighting the Arapaho ,Blackfeet, Shoshone,Crow,Cheyenne Indians .Jim Bridger country,Bozeman Trail,Big Horn Mountains, Jim Gatchall Mueseum all in a little town of less than 5K.

magyars4
10-19-2021, 07:59 AM
Eastern Indiana here. Stomping grounds of the Delaware and Shawnee tribes. We have a few mounds and lots of artifacts to be found in the crop fields.
Just over the line in Ohio there is Fort Recovery. Largest defeat of American troops by the tribes circa 1790.

bakerjw
10-19-2021, 08:38 AM
One day he asked where I am from, I said Quincy, IL. He replied, Illinois huh?
My mom is from Quincy. I spent MANY a summers there visiting cousins, aunts and uncles. Great bluffs overlooking the Mississippi river.

fixit
10-19-2021, 09:01 AM
Everything imaginable concerning racing. The 500, nhra, dirt track, nascar, motorcycles, I'm sure I'm missing a bunch, but you get the idea. Indianapolis has become an international foodie mecca, too, because of our considerable international community. I like that, because I love to experience culture through food!

trails4u
10-19-2021, 09:19 AM
Absolutely nothing....... Just the way I like it!

Ithaca Gunner
10-19-2021, 10:19 AM
Appalachain Trail is almost at my doorstep, Grand Canyon of PA is within driving distance, and the Gettysburg Battlefield is within an hour drive. A French and Indian War fort was just a few miles away, an Indian village existed within a quarter mile of my house, the Shawnee people had a valley less than a mile from me, and tribes of the Iroquois Nation and others roamed this area.

Mal Paso
10-19-2021, 10:34 AM
The biggest draw right here is the Big Sur coast. We also have the Laguna Seca Raceway which is also the local shooting range. Years ago some knucklehead "found" a bullet in a parking lot so the range gets shut down for events now. I've only been to the Raceway once during a race. It was the Lotus weekend which was lightly staffed and I couldn't find the parking. I finally got some direction from a gal on a scaffold. "You're ON A HOT TRACK!"

We also have the Aquarium, Carmel and 17 mile drive.

dverna
10-19-2021, 10:52 AM
Absolutely nothing....... Just the way I like it!

I am with you. I do not want to be near an "interesting" place because that attracts "idiots".

I enjoy time with my two best friends....Peace and Quite. They are good friends and will let me bring my other two friends, Smith and Wesson, whenever I want to. They only limitations I have to shooting are self imposed. I limit myself to air guns during bow and muzzleloader season if the guys are hunting at the the hunt camp next to me.

It is easy to find God here. I know He is everywhere, but I suspect He enjoys the woods and fields more than the "interesting" playgrounds where most of His unruly children spend their time.

DxieLandMan
10-19-2021, 10:57 AM
I went to Brice's Crossroads while in ROTC. Very cool and interesting place

DxieLandMan
10-19-2021, 10:59 AM
Before the interstate came through, there was a place where you, if you stopped at a red light, put the car in neutral, you would actually back up the hill. I forgot what is called but there were 2 places here that you could do that.

bdicki
10-19-2021, 11:18 AM
Been there, cool museum! I love museums of all kinds, I remember this was a good one.
I stop in just to smell.
https://i.imgur.com/K6nJ6rE.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4PAR6jE.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/6o9Smht.jpg

375supermag
10-19-2021, 12:09 PM
Hi...
South central Pennsylvania...nothing of interest around here.
Unless, of course, you are interested in s little dustup that occurred up the road about 20 miles from my house in a little town called Gettysburg...maybe some of you have heard about it. It was in all the papers at the time.
Only about an hour away from Valley Forge, Pa where George Washington spent a long winter with the Continental Army camping. Brandywine Battlefield is close by there also.
Liberty Bell over in Philadelphia is sort of famous...only a couple of hours away.
Nice train museum in Strasburg, Pa about a half hour away.

waksupi
10-19-2021, 01:20 PM
Snow. Lots and lots of snow.

15meter
10-19-2021, 06:50 PM
Snow. Lots and lots of snow.

Wish I still had knees to enjoy it, when I had the knees, didn't have the money to ski out west. Always wanted to ski on REAL mountains.

yeahbub
10-20-2021, 12:03 PM
Less than half a state away from me is Friendship, Indiana, site of the NMLRA Walter Cline Range and the neo-rendevous primitive area across the Maxine Moss bridge over the creek to the south. During the spring and fall national competitions, there's also the adjoining big flea markets on the eats and west side of the Walter Cline range. Much food and friendly people there. About an hour to the northeast, there is Metamora, Indiana, site of the autumn Old Canal Days on the first weekend in October, with a working section of the Whitewater Canal System with a functioning lock and the only remaining example of a functioning "covered bridge" wooden aqueduct in the US, carrying the canal over Duck Creek which flows underneath. It's an interesting design with a 75' arched wooden truss. Somebody sure did their homework for that one. The railroad still runs alongside it and still in use for local historical passenger traffic for fun rides. My favorite detail there is the outdoor barbecue ribs and burnt ends various vendors set up in the town. One word of warning, though - I'm not certain that there are funnel cakes and elephant ears available, so it may not comply with the official secret unwritten/unspoken standard for what constitutes a true "festival". Theory has it that these are necessary follow-ups for the blessings of beer, burgers, brats and metts to flow freely and properly satisfy.

375supermag, I have a question about the Gettysburg battlefield and a peculiar behavior of drivers in that area which has mystified me. Several years ago, I went there for the Remembrance Day weekend and I noticed that even though the speed limit was 45mph, people were going 15-25mph for long distances in the general region of and out into the countryside beyond the battlefield area. This wasn't just one proverbial old-guy-with-a-hat barely able to drive. Mostly in-state drivers were doing this puttering along in an unusually slow manner with no visible reason to explain it. They weren't rubber-necking and there were many doing this. I thought I missed a sign or a memo something. They weren't tourists - I saw plenty of those slowing down to look over the cannons along the road, but they got back up to speed once past the point of interest. Have you noticed this? Just curious. . .

Kraschenbirn
10-20-2021, 05:07 PM
'University Town' here without much to offer...unless you're into campus bars. Does have the Spurlock Museum if you're into natural history/archeology..small but interesting...and right down the road from me is Frasca Aviation and Rudy Frasca's collection of classic and antique airplanes. Open to the public (by appointment), the collection is somewhat unique in that ALL of the aircraft are kept in flyable condition (with up-to-date licensing and annual inspections!) by a full-time maintenance staff. In years gone by, I actually logged a bit of time in the collection's Aeronca 7EC when it belonged to the University of Illinois Institute of Aviation and also worked on a couple of Rudy's restorations when I was active in EAA. Still enjoy just walking through the hangers once or twice a year.

Bill

Wayne Smith
10-20-2021, 05:15 PM
If you are interested Virginia is the third largest states to produce wine - and there are a lot of wineries and meaderies in the state - in fact the state makes a map of where they are and how to get to them. Including their hours and seasonal opening - we have a couple favorites.

Harter66
10-20-2021, 08:59 PM
I used to live about 85 miles from Reno NV . The first week of August there's more horse power on the streets than ....... Well in an afternoon I saw 3 real 428 side oiler Cobras , and a half dozen factory 327 fuely Corvettes . Ever seen a Morris Minor with a 454 in it ? Blown Hemi 32' Vicki ? One year a guy drove a Hemi 68' Challenger down from Saskatoon Saskatchewan , it had 6,800 miles on it .......

In September they have the Air Races . Yeah a 6,000 HP funny car launch is a rush but a 4,600 HP Bearcat F8F turning an 9 mile lap at 496 mph will just make a power junky melt .

The only local claim to Fame I have these days is the home base of drugs for guns is 25 miles south . Its also the home of Brodix machine , they make a few cylinder heads . Its also the world HQ of the Christian Motorcycle Club .

30 miles north is Mansfield Arkansas which features the only grave yard in North America with a federal highway passing through it .

BigAlofPa.
10-20-2021, 11:05 PM
A lot of coal history in my neck of the woods. The Centrialla mine fire has been a big tourist attraction. It's no longer burning like it used to be. Outsiders would not find where it still is burning. As far as racing. We have Numidia Dragway. And Beaver springs Dragway. And big diamond outside of Minersville. And we have great hunting and nice hiking and ATV trails.

reloader28
10-20-2021, 11:14 PM
30 minutes is the closest town which is Cody Wyo. WAY to many things here to mention. Within an hour and fifteen drive any direction you can double the sites including Yellowstone

2A-Jay
10-20-2021, 11:50 PM
I live on the Long Beach Peninsula in WA. 1/4 mile from the beach, Lots of sand. we are 20 minutes from Cape Disappointment State park (where Lewis and Clark Discovered the Columbia River. The Long Beach Peninsula (28 miles long Beach (the lonest continuous beach in the World!

imashooter2
10-21-2021, 03:24 AM
I have a neighbor that is into building nostalgia funny cars, his brother drives it, He as been asking me for years to come watch him race at Martin, Mi.
This year, with the kids out of the house and me not working that particular weekend we finally had time to go and watch.
Great people, fantastic hospitality, and an amazing time!!!
A few minutes before they were due to tow the racecar to the track my buddy comes up to me and says "Hey, do you want to watch this from the track? If security says anything just tell them you are my clutch mechanic."

I got to watch the race from behind the starting line!!! Nothing could compare to standing next to a 8,000+horsepower nitro methane burning funny car when it launches. 268+mph in the eighth mile,,, 7 gallons of nitro to go that far. (And yes, I did get video on my cell phone.)

Years ago Maple Grove Raceway would allow patrons in the crosswalk behind the starting line when the cars were running. Frankly it wasn’t a great place to watch from, but we would always try to run down there when the jets were running. It was really something getting thumped in the chest by the burner pops. Unfortunately, they shut that down and no longer allow folks into the walkway when there were jets on the line. I never confirmed it, but rumor was that one of the jets kicked up a piece of gravel and either seriously injured, or killed someone (depending on who was telling the story).

ETA: I’m in the southern suburbs of Philadelphia. Independence Mall and Valley Forge are both minutes away. Funny how the locals don’t see any big deal in the history that draws tourists.

rancher1913
10-21-2021, 05:24 AM
sorry, nothing but cows and corn around here. well we do have the missile silos up the road but you cant get close to them.

jonp
10-21-2021, 05:58 PM
Here in Maine it's nature, fishing, hunting, the coast, foodie destination. Lotsa forest, the most forested state in the nation. In the summer, hiking, App' trail northern terminus is on Mt. Katahdin. In winter skiiing, snowshoeing, and snowmobiling. Acadia national park. Lotsa micro breweries and a few distilleries.

I guess not too much going on up here. Mostly outdoor stuff where you make your own good time on the one day of summer that we get.

https://i.postimg.cc/Cdy9Nt89/Pink-Flamingos-jpg-653x0-q80-crop-smart.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

You never been to Oxford Plains

SeabeeMan
10-21-2021, 06:17 PM
I know we take them for granted, or at least aren't as amazed as out-of-towners when they're here, but bald eagles and ospreys. I'm in NW WI and eagles are just a constant. We throw deer carcasses in the back yard and will have 20 of them on them in the middle of winter. They like to snack on the road killed deer that slowly thaw out of the snowbanks along the roads in the spring and you have to watch out lest you have one fly into you if you spook it. I've had several times where a fish that doesn't revive and take off fast enough gets snatched by a bird 10 or 20 feet from the boat.

375supermag
10-21-2021, 09:18 PM
Hi...
Actually haven't noticed that except on the major highways during tourist season. During tourist season it is best to stay away from Gettysburg...traffic is bumper to bumper all day.

gwpercle
10-22-2021, 11:02 AM

What's the limit on them Pink Birds !
Gary

NEKVT
10-22-2021, 11:22 AM
Springfield Armory National Historic Site and Museum

Ithaca Gunner
10-22-2021, 12:20 PM
Hi...
Actually haven't noticed that except on the major highways during tourist season. During tourist season it is best to stay away from Gettysburg...traffic is bumper to bumper all day.

Yup, I avoid it mid May to October, and when I do go, I'm most likely to take the Tanneytown or Emmitsburg RD. exits and come in from the South avoiding the town and diamond.

BJK
10-22-2021, 12:37 PM
You never been to Oxford Plains

Correct.

BJK
10-22-2021, 12:40 PM
What's the limit on them Pink Birds !
Gary

As many as you want Gary, they're pests so Maine DF&G has no bag limits on them. Don't even need a plugged gun.

375supermag
10-23-2021, 12:17 AM
Yup, I avoid it mid May to October, and when I do go, I'm most likely to take the Tanneytown or Emmitsburg RD. exits and come in from the South avoiding the town and diamond.

Hi...
I usually roll into Gettysburg from the north on Rt.15 during tourist season. Generally only travel to Gettysburg during tourist season to visit Redding's gun shop and Redding's auction house for gun auctions.

slim1836
10-23-2021, 01:58 AM
Nothing, unless you want to count Cabela's 30 miles north of me. Haven't been there in years, too much traffic in this metro mess.

Slim

memtb
10-23-2021, 09:09 AM
Well let’s see! We have more freedom than most states. Thousands of square miles of public land to enjoy, waterfowl hunting, upland bird hunting, many species of small game, Pronghorn, 2 species of deer, elk, moose, bear, buffalo (Bison), lion, Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Goat, wolves, and many types of varmints to hunt! Several large lakes/reservoirs with a variety of fish, mountain streams having several species of trout (including Golden Trout), and pretty fair ice fishing! Many hundreds of miles of trails to hike .....some through the most remote areas of the lower 48!

We only have 2 interstates (often shut down due to weather conditions), 2 cities exceeding (barely) 50K people, and having the lowest population of our 50 states! We enjoy having one of the windiest, driest, coldest states in the union.....which hopefully, will help us maintain our lowest population status!

We have a pretty amazing history.....the early trappers, the pioneers, the Indian Wars, the Cattle Wars, The Hole in the Wall Gang (Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid) along with many other notable (Tom Horn, Big Nose George) outlaws, the Pony Express routes, The Oregon, Mormon, and California Trails as well as several alternate (called “cut offs”) routes. A few notable places of interest......the Buffalo Bill Museum, 2 beautiful National Parks, Devils Tower. And, for the Paleontologists among us.....many dig sites across the state, one of the highest recognized privately owned Dinosaur Museums in the world (Thermopolis) and Fossil Butte National Monument (Kemmerer).

Summary: a pretty nice place to visit.....but, please continue to “move along - there’s nothing to see here”! memtb

dave roelle
10-23-2021, 09:40 AM
We have. Texas. ��

Targa
10-23-2021, 09:49 AM
Apparently here in Colorado a really cool thing is dope and moron migration into the state. Looking forward to moving back to my home state of Missouri or Indiana where I grew up. I miss the times spent with dad at the Indy 500 practices and time trials.

memtb
10-23-2021, 10:10 AM
I wish the border was closed between Kolorado and Wyoming on I 25. It’s too late to save Cheyenne......so maybe close it off from the rest of Wyoming! memtb

Targa
10-23-2021, 11:18 AM
I don’t blame you. Anytime I drive into Wyoming I think my truck is going to get vandalized because of my Colorado plates….I wouldn’t blame them either lol. I go back to Indiana and Kentucky about twice a year to see family, I am constantly reminding them not to tell people what state I am visiting from, it just makes me feel embarrassed and dirty.
Of course it wasn’t always that way, up until the early 2000’s Colorado was a great state.
I’m just waiting 1 year and 9 months to retire from a 25 year career and then I am grabbing the wife and dogs and we are out.

Kevinakaq
10-23-2021, 11:31 AM
Corn, seas of corn…..when I first moved here four years ago from NH we took a ride out of town…after about thirty miles of corn, we turned back and said “just like the brochure”….

I miss my Florida swamps.

jonp
10-23-2021, 11:40 AM
Ive been in all lower 48 and most of Canada. There is always something to see if you look around even if its a walk up main street in a dusty little town in the middle of nowhere Nebraska and find a barbed wire buffalo statue

lightman
10-23-2021, 12:07 PM
After reading what everyone else has posted I realize we don't have much here. Near me is the Toltec Mounds Start Park. Its open for tours to the public. Not too far away we have Mountains and Lakes, most of which have State Parks and offer camping spots and fishing. At one time Camp Robinson (near Little Rock) and the Little Rock Air Base (near Jacksonville) were pretty much open to the public, but not anymore. And we have the Clinton Presidential Library...............!!! :grin:

snowwolfe
10-23-2021, 12:31 PM
I can reach 75% of the population of the USA within one days drive of where we live. Road trips are always a new adventure.
Gulf coast of Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida, Dallas, New Orleans, coastal areas of SC and NC, museums in DC, etc. Even NYC in a day if I were so inclined.

nvbirdman
10-23-2021, 05:13 PM
A lot of unsettled (BLM) land, our club owned shooting range (free to members) only ten miles from my door, and the National Automobile Museum in Reno. Cars from the very beginning when they used tillers instead of steering wheels, and it makes you think, where do you start designing a car if it's never been done before?. Driver on left, middle, right? Clutch brake gas, or clutch gas brake, or gas clutch brake, or ?????.

wch
10-23-2021, 06:41 PM
Raystown Lake...

foesgth
10-23-2021, 07:13 PM
We do have interesting wildlife around here...

But, we are mostly know for clowns..

hoodat
10-23-2021, 07:59 PM
You can travel around our county, and pretty much believe that you are on the set of "My Name is Earl".

Aside from that, I don't have to go more than a mile to shoot/hunt. Good camping just a few miles away. And on a cool fall evening, you can smell the marijuana being harvested. jd

beezapilot
10-23-2021, 08:20 PM
There's a hole in the ground about 7 miles south that 100,000,000 gallons of 72 degree water comes out of every day. In the winter it is chock full of manatee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Spring_State_Park

BJK
10-23-2021, 10:51 PM
There's a hole in the ground about 7 miles south that 100,000,000 gallons of 72 degree water comes out of every day. In the winter it is chock full of manatee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Spring_State_Park

I've been there! Interesting place.

1Papalote
10-24-2021, 03:34 PM
We have the ruins of Ft McKavett just up the road, an 1850s frontier fort, now a state historical park. Beyond that, on the San Saba River (and on private property) is the Ranger Camp, the base for the Ranger Company in this part of West Central Texas. Jim Gillette spoke of it to his book "Six Years With the Texas Rangers".

Cosmic_Charlie
10-24-2021, 04:31 PM
Lake Superior, literally. And also Superior Shooters Supply. Timber Wolves too.

BJK
10-24-2021, 06:05 PM
I left some things out. I was reminded by posts from others.

Maine has an interesting law. If land isn't posted it's open to non-destructive "trespass". What that means is that most of the state is open to hunting. I don't post my land.

We also have an intact fort from 150 years ago, Ft. Knox that protected the mouth of the Penobscot river with its 14" guns. One or two of which still remain. I don't think any of their guns was ever fired in anger. It's a nice place to explore on a hot summer day because it has natural A/C. Bring a flashlight. It's a nice place to watch July 4 fireworks. In the same area is the Penobscot narrows bridge with it's observatory on top of one of the towers. It overlooks Ft. Knox and what the fort was protecting.

AZ Pete
10-24-2021, 06:15 PM
Several National Forests and National Parks (the Tonto NF is in our back yard). The White Mountains, Grand Canyon, Oak Creek, the Sky Islands, Tombstone, and really nice winters. However summer is a little warm.

Nobade
10-24-2021, 08:45 PM
Thousands of acres of BLM land to play on, lots of elk to hunt, wonderful dirt biking, the nation's only public land set aside specifically for motorcycle trials, big mountains, White Sands monument, The Trinity site, Carlsbad Caverns, The blue hole, tons of breweries, numerous hot springs, and plenty of other cool stuff. Also a demoncrat run government that is running everything into the ground, junkies and homeless everywhere in the cities, terrible crime rates, awful poverty, and plenty of other bad stuff. But the weather is really nice so I'm still here for now.

tja6435
10-24-2021, 08:47 PM

We have some 14,000’ peaks across the highway from our place.

Edit: apparently we live in China

BJK
10-24-2021, 11:34 PM
Too funny tja6435! And no snow issues since it falls down and away from the peaks.

rrob692326
10-25-2021, 08:10 AM
I live in Volcano Hawaii a little more than 2 miles from the edge of Halemaumau crater, now filled with over a thousand foot deep lake of molten lava in the world's most active volcano Kilauea. Last eruption in 2018 we had over 50,000 earthquakes in a 72 hour period, was not even worth standing up as you would be on the ground in a minute anyway. If you are on the highway the asphalt looks like a giant black ribbon being shaken as you see many huge waves in the road. Interesting to watch a 10,000 gallon water catchment tank do the hula and then toss its lid 20 feet away along with a 1000 or so gallons out the hole! Still not something you see or experience everyday and definitely awe inspiring as you see Madame Pele in all her glory. Sorry unable to post pics

Thin Man
10-25-2021, 08:15 AM
bakerjw got my attention when he mentioned Thunder Valley. Back in the 70's SWMBO and I were in the stands at Thunder Valley watching a series of competitions in drag racing, everything from mild to wild vehicle descriptions. Stock class, modified, funny cars, rail jobs, everything. One rail job came to the line with the new (to me) design of a rear-mounted engine (before that time all rails had front-mounted engines). That ride had to be push-started by a pickup truck. The truck made 2 attempts to get the rail's engine running and the third push did the job. The rail's driver had the gas pedal on the floor so when the engine fired up the rear tires spun really fast. The rail wasn't moving forward, just slowly crawling forward and smoking the pavement. However the push truck kept moving forward and caught up with it. The rail's expanded rear tires hooked onto the truck's front bumper and launched the truck up and forward and completely on top of the rail. None of the truck's tires were touching the pavement. Now the rail, with the truck on top, was slowly drifting down the track. The driver shut down the rail's engine and the crowd was screaming that the driver must be crushed under the weight of the truck on the rail. Two wreckers hurried onto the track and hooked onto the truck and lifted it off of the rail - and the driver hopped out of the rail and waved to all the spectators to show that he was OK. And the crowd went WILD. Everyone at the track was shouting and screaming with joy. The cage that was built over the driver's cockpit had done its job of saving him. This a memory that lingers with me even after all the years since it happened. Long live Thunder Valley.

Wayne Smith
10-25-2021, 08:22 AM
I left some things out. I was reminded by posts from others.

Maine has an interesting law. If land isn't posted it's open to non-destructive "trespass". What that means is that most of the state is open to hunting. I don't post my land.

We also have an intact fort from 150 years ago, Ft. Knox that protected the mouth of the Penobscot river with its 14" guns. One or two of which still remain. I don't think any of their guns was ever fired in anger. It's a nice place to explore on a hot summer day because it has natural A/C. Bring a flashlight. It's a nice place to watch July 4 fireworks. In the same area is the Penobscot narrows bridge with it's observatory on top of one of the towers. It overlooks Ft. Knox and what the fort was protecting.

Thank you - I was trying to remember the name of Ft. Knox. I remember as a kid visiting and I could climb completely inside the muzzle of one of those guns. That was a long time ago - I doubt they are as accessable now as they were then.

jonp
10-25-2021, 02:45 PM

Implied Consent was a thing in Vermont, too. I think that was a North East deal but maybe not. As long as you were respectful, didn't do anything stupid and took your garbage and shell casings no-one batted an eyelash.

jonp
10-25-2021, 03:17 PM
Let's see if I remember a couple of odd things.

Maine: That lighthouse at West Quoddy Point is pretty cool. Had a girlfriend over in Calais once.

New Hampshire: Cog Railway is neat. Try and build that one now. Hike or drive to the top of Mt Washington and look at those chains holding down the buildings. They are not kidding with those, either. 231MPH. Only place in the world 3 jet streams converge.

Colorado: Sand Dunes in the middle of Colorado? Yup, I picked up potato's near there once destined for Newark, NJ and our troops overseas. Ever heard of Eisenhower Tunnel on I70 west of Denver? 11,000 ft and is pretty cool but if your over height with a semi you get to use Loveland which is 12,000ft. Not for the faint of heart. The Million Dollar Highway was one I ran on a number of occasions. Delivered hardware supplies on a flatbed into Telluride once. Off loaded in the street and if I remember right I could see a waterfall at the other end of the canyon. What a beautiful place but until I win the Powerball not for me and if SHTF a boxend canyon up high doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Oregon: I remember crossing through where Chief Joseph and Nez Perce was and the truck scales being left on 24/7 so you could weigh when no-one was there and the ride down the river on I84 when a young lady in cut offs and a tank top passed me in a car with an Oregon Beavers bumper sticker and a license plate that said "TooWet". No comment on that but I still remember the most awesome lemon meringue pie in that truck stop over in Bend.

Montana: Custer National is not to be missed. Markers where all the soldiers were found so you can recreate the battle while walking along. I delivered insulation once north of Whitefish. Got to the designated area and there was a phone on a tree. Picked it up and told them I was here. Turned out it was a Gucci heir that had an island in the lake and they sent over a barge to float the entire truck over and off load. Guys told me the people had underground tunnels and all kinds of weird stuff going on. The rich really are different from us.

South Dakota: No, not lighting Mt Rushmore up at night or the caverns under it. The Mitchell Corn Palace is interesting and where is Wall Drugs?

North Dakota: And a 1 and a 2....Lawrence Welk's birthplace in Strasburg. I was once on the way back from Winnipeg, MB (Winterpeg) and had time to kill so went sideways to a little border crossing. Sat in the Customs Crossing for a couple of hours talking to the US Customs guy who was just glad to see anyone.

Wyoming: I altered a trip a little just to see Independence Rock and the carvings on the face. Little America is kinda strange. I know the American outpost in Antarctica but what's with the penguin statues? Want to avoid a little traffic and see Yellowstone? Come from the north over Bear Tooth. Nice ride.

Arizona: Too much to list but me and a buddy found a trail on the Res that led down to the Colorado river right below the Glen Canyon Dam and spent an afternoon on a sandbar drinking beer and throwing 18in rainbow back as fast as we could catch them. If you know where to look, there is a hot spring below Hoover Dam where you can soak and look for Desert Bighorn. Found it while doing a survey for AZ Game and Fish. Also found a ledge on the North Rim of The Grand Canyon that was full of fossils. Don't tell anyone I kept one of a sea shell.

Arkansas: No, didn't get any diamonds.

Mississippi: Ever visit Elvis's House he grew up in?

Utah: Found a spot on the Dixie National Forest while cruising timber to sit and have lunch that I could see Zion and Capitol Reef at the same time. Also cored a Blue Spruce on the edge of a park and aged it to 1492! Camped most of a summer there and saw a UFO. Both me and Matt were sitting around the fire and watched it over Zion. No idea what it was but it sure was unidentifed by us with the dips, backtracks and random movements.
I also was going to deliver some shelving for a new Distribution Center in Cedar City and turned out the load was a few weeks early. Stopped at a small restaurant and asked if I could park the trailer for a week in the dirt behind the place. No problem so went in for lunch. Young lady said the hamburger was fresh so ordered up a burger and fries. Yup, sure was fresh. They slaughtered and ground it up on site and I picked a course cow hair out of the burger and it was one of the best tasting burgers I ever got anywhere. A stray hair don't bother me none.

Kansas: Hmm..Ever visit Liberal and see Dorthy's House from the Wizard of Oz? BTW a truck stop not far from there had a giant bowl of Cream of Wheat for $1

Ohio: Ever visit Dayton and see The Wright Brothers Museum at their old bike shop? No, North Carolina is still "First In Flight" so sorry, OH.

Tennessee: Lookout Mountain is not to be missed

Missouri: Scratching my head...The Topper Truck Stop with the giant Top out front was interesting. Oh, I know, I ended up in Hannibal once and looked around Tom Sawyers places.

Texas:..there is a whole lot of Texas but...Grand Canyon of Texas? Big Texan and that 72oz Steak Challenge? Oh, I know for us casters. You can visit Adobe Walls National Historic Monument and stand in the spot Billy Dixon made that historic shot.

Virginia: Much to see but you can walk around Patrick Henry's place in Brookneal. In the summer they have an old home thing where they fire up the forge and such. Out of the way but on a river so you can see how rivers were the lifeblood of travel in our history. Near one and you could ship products and live about anywhere.

New York: Big state and lot's to see but you can actually visit the Brooklyn Navy Yard where our ships that helped win WW2 were laid down. USS North Carolina, USS Iowa and the Mighty Mo, The USS Missouri.

North Carolina: Well, lot's in our adopted states but I hope this year they start the Bentonville Civil War Reenactment back up. Pretty cool stuff to see the actors in period clothes.

Idaho: How about Malad Falls? Route 12 from Lewiston to Missoula is a great ride but the time I remember most is when I was cruising timber on a 50,000 acre ranch on the Snake north of McCall. Sat on a dock one evening and caught giant catfish of some type with one of the caretakers and his Greyhound. Stopped at a summer cabin and told a guy, his wife and several kids where we saw a herd of his K Standing C cattle were in a small canyon off the beaten track. When we walked into the cabin the first thing his wife said was "can I get you boys some coffee"? Hospitality is not dead in the West.

marlin39a
10-25-2021, 04:36 PM
Cool things here? I’ve got several ghosts towns with much to explore. Route 66 north of me. Indian ruins up in the hills. Lots to keep me busy.

jonp
10-25-2021, 05:03 PM
Wife grew up in VT, KS then VA where her father was Old Guard and then Panama. Despite that she hasn't been far in the US. She want's a camper and truck to see what is here after we retire. Sounds good to me, let's travel.

SeabeeMan
10-26-2021, 10:14 AM
Lake Superior, literally. And also Superior Shooters Supply. Timber Wolves too.

Yes, Superior Shooters Supply is awesome! They suffer from the same shortages everybody else does, but I've never seen as good a reloading/casting section at a store. Heck, they even have parts bins you can dig through for the one washer you need for a random MEC loader.

Idaho45guy
10-26-2021, 03:53 PM
We have a giant cedar tree that I never went to see until last summer. It's pretty impressive in real life...

BJK
10-26-2021, 04:56 PM
Thank you - I was trying to remember the name of Ft. Knox. I remember as a kid visiting and I could climb completely inside the muzzle of one of those guns. That was a long time ago - I doubt they are as accessable now as they were then.

It took me awhile to remember the name too. I don't think much has changed there. It's still a pretty interesting place with close to full access. Last time I was there the cannon weren't off limits. I would have loved to see it when it was fully armed with cannon. It's close to being full access. Just a few places folks can look into but not go into. One place, the powder magazine, that was completely closed.

https://www.fortknoxmaine.com/

Idaho45guy
10-27-2021, 03:54 PM
The Grizzly Bear Research Lab at WSU is cool and always a hit with visitors...

But the coolest thing is just the natural beauty of the woods...

David2011
10-27-2021, 10:25 PM
We have something for most interests near our home. Houston Raceway Park is within earshot of the house when Pro Stock, Funny Car and Top Fuel are running. My cousin and I have tickets for the 2022 Springnationals. Unfortunately that will mark the last race at that drag strip where so many records have been set. It will be replaced with warehouses.

The site where Sam Houston defeated Santa Ana for Texas’s independence from Mexico is a few minutes away. The Lone Star Flight Museum, Johnson Space Center and the new spaceport are close. There’s fresh water all around and tons of salt water from Galveston Bay to the Gulf of Mexico. Beyond that there’s just a big city with all of the problems of all progressive cities.

Wayne Smith
11-04-2021, 06:06 PM
Norfolk, VA - the Battleship Wisconsin is here, the Winterfest starts in December, over 600,000 light bulbs on the ship to celebrate Winterfest. It was on the local news tonite. The Wisconsin is here permanently, this is just the Winterfest celebration.

We may go look at it ourselves, although we have been there several times. All donations go to support the ship. There is usually no cost to go to the ship, but Winterfest may have some cost, but all the money goes to support the ship.

MT Gianni
11-09-2021, 11:47 AM
Lewis & Clark Caverns is actually pretty cool, 55 F year round so take a jacket. Couple hours N of Yellowstone so we get too many tourists and while they call it "tourist Season" there aren't any bag limits. There is an area close by with boulders that have a pitch to them and ring like a bell. They don't ring if moved but if left on the pile and hit with a hammer they have a tone like church bells. I have heard families play songs. Plenty of mines, and Butte boasts about lots of stuff including "The World Museum of Mining". I have seen whitetail, mule deer, antelope, elk, small game and fox and coyotes within 2 miles of the house. The neatest was a pair of Rough Legged Hawks that wintered here one year. They killed plenty of rabbits and huns but they were a joy to watch in the air.

It is all changing fast. Our library in a town of 1200 2010 census has given out 50 new library cards a month for the last 18 months. Covid has people thinking they can work from home so they can work anywhere. Neighbor bought next to me and paid the ungodly price of $450 K for a house on 3 acres. They were from Chicago and she said she had seen tough winters. Six months later, as soon as tax returns were in he quit his job and spent his time finishing the basement. They have moved now and sold their place for $650 K. Kid bought the lot kitty corner from us and put a log house on it. 1200 st ft and he finished it nice. It sod for $400 K and I would be shocked if he has 200 K into it. Nice wages for 6 months work. The other side of that coin is many employers are figuring out the work from home'ers average less than 3 hours a day and the output shows. Interesting times.

Idaho45guy
11-10-2021, 04:36 AM
Lewis & Clark Caverns is actually pretty cool, 55 F year round so take a jacket. Couple hours N of Yellowstone so we get too many tourists and while they call it "tourist Season" there aren't any bag limits. There is an area close by with boulders that have a pitch to them and ring like a bell. They don't ring if moved but if left on the pile and hit with a hammer they have a tone like church bells. I have heard families play songs. Plenty of mines, and Butte boasts about lots of stuff including "The World Museum of Mining". I have seen whitetail, mule deer, antelope, elk, small game and fox and coyotes within 2 miles of the house. The neatest was a pair of Rough Legged Hawks that wintered here one year. They killed plenty of rabbits and huns but they were a joy to watch in the air.

It is all changing fast. Our library in a town of 1200 2010 census has given out 50 new library cards a month for the last 18 months. Covid has people thinking they can work from home so they can work anywhere. Neighbor bought next to me and paid the ungodly price of $450 K for a house on 3 acres. They were from Chicago and she said she had seen tough winters. Six months later, as soon as tax returns were in he quit his job and spent his time finishing the basement. They have moved now and sold their place for $650 K. Kid bought the lot kitty corner from us and put a log house on it. 1200 st ft and he finished it nice. It sod for $400 K and I would be shocked if he has 200 K into it. Nice wages for 6 months work. The other side of that coin is many employers are figuring out the work from home'ers average less than 3 hours a day and the output shows. Interesting times.

Same here. My brother is a local Detective and he said all sorts of unsavory types are moving in and crime is going up. I saw a guy at the LGS the other day with a triple man-bun trying to buy a Hi-Point. I just shook my head.

My dad has 10 acres out in the country but right off Highway 95. Old barn, old house falling apart, and an old archery factory of 14k sq. ft. that he lives in where the offices used to be. He said a Californian stopped by a couple of weeks ago and offered him $600k for the place. I told him he should have taken it and bought a small place in town. He said he'd die before he moved to town.

Land more than 20 miles from the nearest decent-sized town you couldn't hardly give away a few years ago is now going for $10k an acre, with no well or power. Figure another $50k for that. Crazy.

Riverpigusmc
11-10-2021, 09:22 AM
Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings house where she wrote " The Yearling" and "Cross Creek" is right down from my property a few miles. We launch our boat into Orange Lake there and fish for speck and cruise up Cross Creek. They also filmed The Yearling movie there with Gregory Peck. You can tour the house and servants residence, along with her orange grove

rbuck351
11-10-2021, 12:07 PM
Nothing close here to see or do which is why I live here. The Border is mostly closed so we don't get the few tourists traveling to or from Canada going to somewhere there is something to see. Quite a few folks moving in to the area and building new houses. They must like being left alone as much as I do. Oh, one thing, 4 of my 8 neighbors and I have shooting ranges in our yards.

MT Gianni
11-10-2021, 12:29 PM
My dad has 10 acres out in the country but right off Highway 95. Old barn, old house falling apart, and an old archery factory of 14k sq. ft. that he lives in where the offices used to be. He said a Californian stopped by a couple of weeks ago and offered him $600k for the place. I told him he should have taken it and bought a small place in town. He said he'd die before he moved to town.

I am not ancient but at 67 I would probably die if I had to move to town, pre rest home.

Bmi48219
11-12-2021, 01:48 AM
There’s the US Navy SEALS and UDT museum in Fort Pierce, extensive equipment displays from the wars and conflicts they were in. Small theatre showing films of the history and training. Several assault and clandestine vessels. They usually have a raffle going. Latest prize was a custom AR-15 with SEALS engraving and artwork (bought a ticket for SIL, He didn’t win). Good place to spend a couple hours.
This time of year the surf fishing starts to pick up. Great way to enjoy the beach & (hopefully) bring home dinner.

Keyman
11-16-2021, 04:58 AM
We watch 3 major winter sports along the Iditarod Trail. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iditarod_Trail> First run, ski. or bike 350 miles or 1000 miles in a race called Iditarod Trail Invitational <https://www.iditarodtrailinvitational.com/> Next a 1000 mile snow machine race called The Iron Dog <https://www.irondog.org/> and last the Dog Sled Race called The Iditarod <https://iditarod.com/#> These races start in different road accessible areas and wind there way to McGrath, and Nome.

Petander
11-16-2021, 01:54 PM
I live in the woods. Born here. You can often walk in the forest all day without seeing another person.

Wife came home one afternoon last week, saying casually "oh,I saw a wolf again,crossing the road" half a mile from my house.

On the other hand, I only have a one hour drive to a relatively big city. Well,big and big, I have lived in NYC and Rio De Janeiro and it was fun 30 years ago. And the wolves were different.

Peace and (the illusion of) freedom are good for now.

Maven
11-16-2021, 02:10 PM
Cool things are too numerous to mention, but here's a link to some photos of them: https://ulstercountyny.gov