PDA

View Full Version : BP vs Smokeless noise levels.

HumptyDumpty
10-17-2021, 01:34 PM
To my plugged ears, black powder, whether in a muzzle loader or cartridge, sounds "softer". I did a bit of searching on the internet, but didn't find much. Is there any sound pressure level testing out there for black powder guns? I'm eventually going to do some hunting with 50-70 (duplicating the original Army loading, most likely), and my electronic hearing protection really doesn't work that well, but I always combine that with a suppressor.

country gent
10-17-2021, 02:36 PM
To my ears the BP loads from my BPCR rifles seem to be more of a dull thud or boom while the modern riles and smokeless is more of a sharp crack, same with the recoil. But then none of my modern rifles have 30-34" long barrels.

dogrunner
10-17-2021, 05:06 PM
No doubt that black has a softer 'tone'....volume is one thing, but the intensity of a hot smokeless round is truly painful.......black, at least to me not so much, but at this point my audio sensitivity is damaged enough that I take no chances with either, wish to hell someone had warned me back in the 50's.

rfd
10-17-2021, 06:03 PM
Yes, I agree - noise levels of fired off black in a long gun cartridge or muzzy appear to be somewhat deeper in tone and more muted than the sharp crack of most white cartridge rifles. Recoil is more of a push with black, and a slap with white.

country gent
10-17-2021, 06:13 PM
Its noticeably different. At the local club when I touch off the first round ( especially from the 45-90) all heads turn to see what happened, Its that much different tone. More like thunder.

But while more comfortable on the ears the actual sound level is still well above what will cause damage so you still want hearing protection

rfd
10-17-2021, 06:25 PM
Yessir, nothing like lighting off 80+ grains of Swiss 1-1/2f to send 528 grains of lead alloy down and out the tube. Music to my plug protected ears. :)

1Hawkeye
10-17-2021, 06:45 PM
Yes they do sound different even in the same rifle. To me black powder sounds like the bass is cranked up on the stereo and its report lasts longer than smokeless which to me sounds like a fast sharp crack. I think we can all agree when you shake out a bp round you got everybodys attention.

HumptyDumpty
10-17-2021, 09:33 PM
That seems to reflect my limited experience as well. I have loaded 45 Auto up with 3fg and cast boolits for a friend's transferable SMG. If properly lubricated, it actually does run reliably, but those rounds really change the way that gun feels. Unfortunately I've only ever fired it indoors, where everything seems outrageously loud. Maybe I'll need to buy a sound level meter ($$ouch$$), and post the data to this forum. Hopefully someone will chime in who has already done so, or can point me in the right direction.

Castaway
10-18-2021, 07:05 AM
Sly, of Sly and the Family Stones wrapped it up when he said, “ BOOM shaka laka.” The smokeless folks are in awe when comparing their cracks against gun powder

Froogal
10-18-2021, 09:08 AM
Black powder gives more of a BOOM instead of a bang. If you are standing within 10 yards of someone shooting black powder loads, you can not only hear it, but you can feel it.

rmark
10-19-2021, 10:54 AM
Smokeless has a sharper crack and a sharper recoil than black powder, as my trapdoor level 45-70 loads attest too.

GregLaROCHE
10-20-2021, 10:13 AM
This would be a good subject for a youtuber to test. It would be important to compare same muzzle velocities/energies. To me BP has a different, but still loud sound. The recoil is different too.

marlinman93
10-27-2021, 07:09 PM
If I'm not watching the line, I know when someone touches off a BP cartridge gun vs. the same gun with smokeless. Neither at equal velocities is like high power rifles, but there's definitely a different deeper boom to the BP loads.

MC One Shot
10-28-2021, 04:09 AM
I have a decibel meter. I just may have to take it to the range next time and find out what the db levels are between the two.

Sasquatch-1
10-28-2021, 05:45 AM
I have a decibel meter. I just may have to take it to the range next time and find out what the db levels are between the two.

I, for one, would find that very interesting.

GregLaROCHE
10-28-2021, 06:30 AM

Keep us posted with your results.

HumptyDumpty
10-28-2021, 01:51 PM
Quote Originally Posted by MC One Shot View Post

Please do. It will be some time before I can afford one.

country gent
10-29-2021, 05:22 AM
decibels are a good measure but the tone range also makes a difference.

Captain*Kirk
11-02-2021, 09:47 AM
Agree with the above posters. Black powder, whether in a ML or BPCR, is much more of a deep bassy "boom" compared to the sharp "crack" of smokeless. If you've ever had you hearing protection off for a second or two when the guy on the next bench lets fly with a smokeless round, it's actually a painful experience (well, for me, anyway).