PDA

View Full Version : Old Lee round tray primer tool.......

leadhead
10-16-2021, 07:34 PM
Went to a small gun show this morning and found a Lee primer tool.
I've been using them for 30 years and they do wear out sometimes.
I got it for $12 and it's almost like new. Worth the trip.
leadhead

nhyrum
10-16-2021, 08:01 PM
Not to mention the new triangle ones are pure hot garbage...

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

William Yanda
10-16-2021, 08:26 PM
You're trying to make me feel bad. I have one, want another to dedicate to small primers. Whenever I see them, they are priced higher than what I paid for the one I have.

Green Frog
10-16-2021, 08:45 PM
WY, you've just got to decide how badly you want one. If it's important enough to you, you'll pay the freight, or you'll do like me and do without until you find what you want at a price you're willing to pay. That's why the earlier type with screw in shell holders always get a close look from me, and cheap ones get a ride home to my house... I'm building up a backlog of spares. :bigsmyl2:

Froggie

Ole Joe Clarke
10-16-2021, 09:19 PM
I only use those for small primers and look at or feel each primer to make sure it is seated properly. I also put blue painters tape on the TOP of the shell holder to force it to set lower in the priming tool. I still have the original that I bought new way back in the day. I have primed many hulls with those tools.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

oldhenry
10-16-2021, 10:16 PM
I have 2: one set up for LP & one for SP. I bought them to carry on prairie dog hunts as part of my kit in the event we ran out of loaded rounds. I recognize that they have a strong following, but I prefer my RCBS bench priming tool for rifle & The 550 Dillon for handgun.

Lately I'm getting up a reloading set for a great grandson & will donate them to handle the priming. They are in "like new" condition.

centershot
10-16-2021, 11:18 PM
These are the best priming tools ever made (and yes, I've tried them all)! I have two, one for LP and one for SP, and two more in reserve in case they break down. I don't think I'll ever need to buy another priming tool in my lifetime! I hope......

Murphy
10-17-2021, 12:07 AM
This past week I with a friend at his brothers house. He was seating some Large Rifle Primers into 22-250 cases with a round tray Lee Auto-Prime. He was placing them shoulder down in the loading tray after priming. I noticed the edge of a primer shining at me and asked to see it. It was riding high, as were the vast majority of them he'd primed. Long story short, he, his brother and their aging father all used the one set-up, and have been since probably the 1980's. They're a family of hunters and it isn't that often they need centerfire rifle cartridges, and fewer handgun loads. The father was the last one to use the Lee Auto-Prime. Seems he'd managed to use the Small Primer ram with the Large Primer tray attached, easily done and wouldn't have worked vise versa. We dug around the various boxes and found the large ram. Odd, it wouldn't fully seat the primers. Inspection showed the top of the *Thing-uh-bob* that is rounded on both ends had an odd dimple in it. I'm thinking it was the small ram installed in the large primer tray that triggered that boo boo.

Anyway, being a huge fan of the Lee Auto-Prime starting back in the 80's I've no idea how long it took to wear my first one out. I panicked!!! I'd been online for several years and got on the hunt. I picked up 2 spares that were almost *NIB*. I had my friend come by the shop and gifted him one. That leaving me with the set-up (Large & Small complete) I have, and a spare. I'd gifted a nephew a complete as new one last year, he's been loading a couple of years but didn't have a have a Lee Auto-Prime. After my friend left, I looked online and sure enough, folks love their Lee Auto-Prime. I saw a few auctions that were getting pretty steep for the old round tray model (Is there a better version? NO!). Later sitting at my computer, I have a few items I haven't taken out to the shop this past year. I looked down and would you believe what I found? Yep, guilty as charged! I am a Lee Auto-Prime hoarder! The thing looks new in the box. I think that puts me at 3 full sets. Sad isn't it? :)

leadhead
10-17-2021, 08:08 AM
Yes, I have a couple sets too and have them set up for large and small primers.
I've tried all the different tools made, but keep going back to the Lee.
I to think it is the best primer tool ever made.
leadhead

lotech
10-17-2021, 09:56 AM
I used and wore out several of the original round tray versions years ago. Granted, these are good tools that work well and will last for decades if you don't prime a lot of cases. If you're doing 10,000 or more cases annually, I doubt they'll last more than a few years at best. You'll probably get additional life out of the tool if you lubricate the wear points regularly, but I couldn't remember and only lubricated the tools infrequently. If they were made of harder material they would certainly be more durable, but that might raise the price to a prohibitive level. The first sign of a worn out tool is not being able to seat primers to the necessary depth.

leadhead
10-17-2021, 12:50 PM
I believe one of mine has a steel thumb lever. I don't remember where I got it, but it's still like new.
leadhead

centershot
10-18-2021, 04:03 PM
The patent on these (if there was one) has surely expired by now. An enterprising soul could produce these with today's technology and materials and sell them at a competitive price. Another one of my (brilliant) ideas that will (probably) never come to fruition. (Sigh) :groner:

jetinteriorguy
10-19-2021, 07:55 PM
Not to mention the new triangle ones are pure hot garbage...

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
You got that right.

Baltimoreed
10-19-2021, 08:48 PM
I also have 3, one for large rifle primers, small rifle and a spare still in the box. I did repair my broken pot metal thumb handles with aluminum extensions. Have Jbweld, will travel.

slohunter
10-19-2021, 10:26 PM
$7.98 when they first came out, bought a half dozen. Glad I did, best primer I have ever used.

Driz
10-19-2021, 11:08 PM
Here’s mine . I bought it in the Munich Rod N Gun Club on Magraw Kasserne in 1980. I just primed a dish full of .38 SPC tonight. Boy time is hard on that plastic cover. Can you still buy them:violin: Mines ugly but still kickin after all These years290536