PDA

View Full Version : New reloading room build

makeurownfun
10-15-2021, 11:43 AM
Just purchased a new house, which means I get to build a new reloading room and make it even better. Which honestly, won’t take much over what I was using :veryconfu

So I measured out the room and plotted it on graph paper trying to consider as much as I can. Each square is 7.96” basically 8”. The bench will be 24” deep and probably 36-37” from the floor to the top. The only “issue” is that the walls are slanted (the light dotted lines down the sketch) starting at 58” off the floor. Which my brand new Dillons with case feeders will have to be under the full height of the ceiling. And this is the only way I have found to make this work. I have some other presses that will go along the slanted wall too

Now across from the “loading bench” that wall will have Wall Control boards on the walls to stand up some guns on and also put shelves to hold magazines and other stuff. Now under where it shows “gun storage” I will build compartments for ammo cans to slide under and then the stocks will sit on top of those and basically lean up against the wall. I have a metal door ordered with deadbolt for this room. I still have a safe in my bedroom

I will also be putting in some shelving to hold powder, primers, and other things across from the half bath.

garbler
10-15-2021, 01:33 PM
So I’ve moved seven times and built my reloading and gun room five times. You’ve got a nice space there with a ton of options and some creative installations. So just spitballing here but here are my thoughts. First if that is carpet I’d get rid of it. Carpet collects powder, primers you name it and after time you’ll curse it. If removing all is too much at least try to remove that carpet where the loading presses and case prep will take place. Cut it and lay some glue down tiles. Secondly make sure the overhead fan wash doesn’t hit your bench where scales and powder are handled. I’ve had to rooms built high near the roof peak with those kind of walls. The fan hits those angular walls and blows straight down on your bench and plays games with scales.

Shelving and bench height clearances with your presses can be easily figured to work with the sloping ceiling. As a former boat builder there were no right angles just angles and radii. We used ‘ joggle ‘ sticks which are just a stick with marks indicating measurements and elevations. So mock up your bench top depth with some cardboard or sticks and work out clearance elevation for your presses. You may need a couple more inches of bench top depth but the 58” transition climbs pretty quick so just a few inches farther out on the bench = much more clearance. One last thing typical heights for benches, tools etc runs 32-34” so unless you are very tall I’d lower the bench height. Have fun good luck

Rick

Hossfly
10-15-2021, 01:42 PM
Those case feeders can be a problem with height. One of my Dillon 650 is about 4’’ higher than my original. I’m tall so can still reach to load but not look inside without stool or ladder. Looks good new space lots of room to spread out.

GWS
10-15-2021, 04:05 PM
How tall are you? Are you planning to use loading stands to raise your presses? Are you going to build this yourself or hire it out? Are you going to do all your loading standing, sitting or some of each? Adding bullet feeders? What about tumbling? If so, in the same room or somewhere else?

Important to know the slope of the roof.....I see the 58" off the floor, how high is it off the floor 12 or 24" out? Be glad to help with scaled drawings, even 3d, but I need more measurements, with a tape, preferably not counting squares....too much chance for mistakes.

I've attached a PDF file that has a very stout yet inexpensive (material wise) way of building benchwork for you to check out and use if you like the idea. The last pictures are of my bench. I used formica for the top and used the extra piece in front instead of matching wood.....I still may remove that and replace the front piece with wood to make it look richer. ;)

Hossfly
10-15-2021, 04:49 PM
GWS what’s that pvc pipe to the left of stool air or water ? Inquiring mind needs to know.

GWS
10-15-2021, 05:17 PM
Well, that's a foot pedal to raise my Forster trimmer up and down on a case....makes it a sit down operation.

The mod will accuse me of going off topic if I show you a video of it directly so I'll give you the link to it.

https://youtu.be/HU8RBQcwf4E

makeurownfun
10-15-2021, 05:19 PM
Double post, sorry

makeurownfun
10-15-2021, 05:21 PM
Glad this post got some ideas flowing

First, it’s not carpet. If it was, it would have been removed first
Second, I am 6’1” and will have a stool to sit on but may do some loading standing.

I will be mounting my XL750s on inlinefab strong mounts. About 44” overall with case feeders. May add bullet feeders later. I should have also specified that the Dillons will go on the sides of the bench that kicks out towards the middle of the room. Not at the end, but facing each other basically

I will also be building this myself. Posses all of the skill required, if not then we are all screwed as I’m a pipe fitter and been in construction for way too long now haha.

The fan will most likely not be used while loading. This space is tied into my HVAC, and I’ll be putting a humidity/temp gauge on the wall somewhere to see if I need a dehumidifier. In the 1/2 bath I will be swapping the sink to a shop sink that is deep enough to fill and empty my Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler

@Hossfly I’m not sure what PVC you’re referring to?

Oh and I plan on attaching the benches to the wall, just FYI. I can buy sheets of Maple (yes) for $11 more than pine where I live. So that’s a no brainer for tops lol

LAH
10-15-2021, 05:22 PM
Excited for you.

pworley1
10-15-2021, 05:52 PM
Congratulations!

makeurownfun
10-15-2021, 06:45 PM
How tall are you? Are you planning to use loading stands to raise your presses? Are you going to build this yourself or hire it out? Are you going to do all your loading standing, sitting or some of each? Adding bullet feeders? What about tumbling? If so, in the same room or somewhere else?

Important to know the slope of the roof.....I see the 58" off the floor, how high is it off the floor 12 or 24" out? Be glad to help with scaled drawings, even 3d, but I need more measurements, with a tape, preferably not counting squares....too much chance for mistakes.

I've attached a PDF file that has a very stout yet inexpensive (material wise) way of building benchwork for you to check out and use if you like the idea. The last pictures are of my bench. I used formica for the top and used the extra piece in front instead of matching wood.....I still may remove that and replace the front piece with wood to make it look richer. ;)

Oh and the tumbling will be on the “brass prep” table. I had to compress the pictures and you can’t read my hand writing. But I will convert it all to a clean sheet and label every dimension.

I thought of using Formica on the top, but since I can get 3/4” maple for $70 a sheet here when sanded pine in 3/4” os $59, I’m just going to get Maple and poly it 3-4 times. I also tossed around the idea of using T-track, but since my Dillons will be on the kick outs they can really move anywhere else because of height. Plus once I route out for T-track there’s kind of no going back. And I think it would be a catch all sometimes too

GWS
10-15-2021, 08:15 PM
Oh and the tumbling will be on the “brass prep” table. I had to compress the pictures and you can’t read my hand writing. But I will convert it all to a clean sheet and label every dimension.

I thought of using Formica on the top, but since I can get 3/4” maple for $70 a sheet here when sanded pine in 3/4” os $59, I’m just going to get Maple and poly it 3-4 times. I also tossed around the idea of using T-track, but since my Dillons will be on the kick outs they can really move anywhere else because of height. Plus once I route out for T-track there’s kind of no going back. And I think it would be a catch all sometimes too

I used Formica for it's resistance to most everything I can manage to drop or spill on it, and it cleans up well even spilling solvents.....IOW's ..... I know me well. ;) One thing I plan to do sometime is raise the face up a 1/16 or more, so rolling bullets and brass don't try to run away.

You have room to have everything mounted.....that's a super great time saver and convenience! Count the blessings.....the first one is that T-Track or even Inline Fabrication's quick change mounts become a PIA only others with less room have to deal with. I enjoy everything being always ready for action. My bench was plenty big for years....then I found the Lee APP and bought a I.F. quick change mount to be able to use it. I chose to share the spot my bench primer was occupying......and it annoys me to have to change back and forth.....that will be changed.....I'll find the room somewhere. ;)

Now my bench is crowded.....two progressives, 2 single stations, the Forester trimmer (even turned vertical it takes room) and of course the Lee APP. Then I discovered 3D printing and have printed my own collators.....three and counting....and I have a wet tumbler and two dry tumblers.....it all takes room.

One thing I did that I haven't seen before is I made a horizontal rail over the bench that I can mount my collators to, and slide them the length of it if needed. Here's pictures only to maybe get ideas from.

https://i.postimg.cc/x1W5DnFJ/IMG-3615.jpg

Below: My first try at a small bullet collator sitting over the APP. If I want to process cases I move a case feeder there.

https://i.postimg.cc/PxMQwZfY/IMG-3617.jpg

Last two pictures show how I mounted two collators, a case and a bullet, to one mount on the rail.
https://i.postimg.cc/jjGrCJMf/IMG-3747.jpg

Above: the upright has a Tee.....left collator mounted to the end of the left side of the Tee.
Below: you can see a "3D printed plug" that I just push into the right side of the Tee. It rotates to any angle.

https://i.postimg.cc/k571BwM1/Feeder-mount-1.jpg

The reason I show you this is to give you some incentive to plan ahead....the future brings more tools for sure. Preferably you don't want to make it as crowded as mine if you can help it.....I never thought I'd be messing with this much stuff!

you mentioned trying to see over the tops......I'm a lot shorter than you are.....as you can see, angled mirrors was the answer.

makeurownfun
10-15-2021, 11:47 PM
I used Formica for it's resistance to most everything I can manage to drop or spill on it, and it cleans up well even spilling solvents.....IOW's ..... I know me well. ;) One thing I plan to do sometime is raise the face up a 1/16 or more, so rolling bullets and brass don't try to run away.

You have room to have everything mounted.....that's a super great time saver and convenience! Count the blessings.....the first one is that T-Track or even Inline Fabrication's quick change mounts become a PIA only others with less room have to deal with. I enjoy everything being always ready for action. My bench was plenty big for years....then I found the Lee APP and bought a I.F. quick change mount to be able to use it. I chose to share the spot my bench primer was occupying......and it annoys me to have to change back and forth.....that will be changed.....I'll find the room somewhere. ;)

Now my bench is crowded.....two progressives, 2 single stations, the Forester trimmer (even turned vertical it takes room) and of course the Lee APP. Then I discovered 3D printing and have printed my own collators.....three and counting....and I have a wet tumbler and two dry tumblers.....it all takes room.

One thing I did that I haven't seen before is I made a horizontal rail over the bench that I can mount my collators to, and slide them the length of it if needed.

The reason I show you this is to give you some incentive to plan ahead....the future brings more tools for sure.

And that is why I made this post. To get ideas from people who have experienced certain things that I will come to experience so I can try to avoid. I too have a 3D printer, APP press, 2 single stages, a lee turret and lee pro 1000 lol.

We will be discussing a lot of this soon! But for now it’s time to call it a night. Thanks for the pictures and I sight for tonight though!

Butzbach
10-16-2021, 03:29 AM

Thanks for posting your plans and pics.

I’ve always used Masonite for my surface. It’s not ideal as water and oils stain it. After looking at yours, this time I ‘m going to try Formica on the bench I am building in the garage. Vibratory cleaning and maybe casting will happen out there. Other than that it will be a bicycle repair stand and general work bench.

kevin c
10-16-2021, 03:37 AM
My reloading area is short on two inter-related things that good advance planning can help with: clear bench top workspace and accessible storage.

Since you're starting with pretty much a blank slate, I hope you put in a lot of both.

swingingblock2520
10-16-2021, 04:35 AM
I’m in the process of being evicted from my dedicated gun/reloading room/office due to my oldest daughter getting to the age she wants her own room. I told her she’s lucky she only has one sister in her room,I’m the oldest of 8. There was 5 of us boys and 3 girls lol when I was 16 and said I wanted my own room I got moved to a glorified closet lol I guess I’m actually getting an upgrade from my old shooting shack upstairs because now I’ll have the entire basement with its own head and me and the girls can shoot my old Stevens gallery gun loaded with wax cb’s down there too

makeurownfun
10-16-2021, 09:29 AM
My reloading area is short on two inter-related things that good advance planning can help with: clear bench top workspace and accessible storage.

Since you're starting with pretty much a blank slate, I hope you put in a lot of both.

Oh absolutely. That’s why I’m here. Trying to hear other ideas and more eyes on it. There will be a shelf under all of the bench space. Above the bench on the wall will be more wallcontrol metal pegboard. The blank space in front of the bathroom door will be shelving for bigger stuff

garbler
10-16-2021, 12:12 PM
Just spitballing here but often we get stuck with conventional wisdom and often end up creating more work than it’s worth. Step back, review your real estate/floor plan and think about a center island work around bench. If clearances work there are any many many advantages to this type of bench. Having 360° of working access like a woodworkers trestle bench the concept has proven itself for hundreds of years. And though it should be anchored to the deck with weight it’s not real critical so the option to move it, if needed, is a nice feature. Think about it.

Blindshooter
10-17-2021, 09:39 AM
OP, you may want to consider a docking system either store bought or home made. That will allow some flexibility to move things around and also with blank inserts you can have a clear bench top if needed. I've used the same size socket and plate since the early 90's.
Its a hoot seeing your new room pics, the first dedicated room I used was upstairs with knee walls. That's when I started using the docking system. Lost that house to evil wife #2:x
I have 4 different height benches in my current shop, one is the first one I built in the early 80's. I've modified the tops to use the same plate/socket setup.
Good luck, I'm jealous of your new space.
https://i.postimg.cc/zBdzh5R5/20180804-152034.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

David2011
10-18-2021, 03:00 AM
My new reloading room situation is similar but actually worse. The flat ceiling in the middle is about 2’ wide and 6’6” headroom. I looked at several houses that had similar rooms over the garages. Would you consider moving the presses toward the full height ceiling area? If I had your space I think I would sacrifice some of the adjacent area to get the room needed for the Dillons.

My space was squeezed out of an otherwise useless space above my workshop so I’m glad to have it but it’s tight. I’ll have to use my Dillons sitting down. I’ve never done that before. I’ve always stood for the progressive presses and sat for single stage loading. The idea of building an island in the middle makes a lot of sense without being able to look at it first hand.

Three44s
10-18-2021, 09:54 AM
With a long narrow room like the OP, I would consider multiple small islands or a docking system and fewer islands or just one.

I built a (too) large table, very sturdy out of steel and put a wood top on it and placed it the middle of my man cave. The top collects stuff.

In my former life (before my man cave) I used a portable home made stand for 35 years for my press and portable tables to put components on as I processed my ammo.

I could easily adapt to a fixed small island for the presses and portable small tables to put stuff on pertaining to the work at hand.

Three44s

makeurownfun
10-18-2021, 02:40 PM
I do like the idea of basically building a large island in the middle of the room. That would give me space on the wall to mount a TV ;)

The second picture is looking at the wall you walk through. That is to show the distance of the sloped wall as well as the ceiling height

Here is the “floor plan” in inches and I also labeled where in my head I think everything can go. Idk if I’m going to mount all of these machines, but I have them and if I have the room why not. The APP will be for cast bullet sizing only

On the right hand side along the long section of wall from the “brass prep” table to the entry door, will be sections of Wall Control panels holding guns and magazines, with ammo cans beneath it all. Across from the bathroom will be shelving for powder/primer at orange as well as brass too.
Not in a big rush, but I just want a solid plan and build it right the first time. I am tired of my bench top moving when I use the press. I want them solid

GWS
10-18-2021, 07:42 PM
The beginnings of a 2D floor plan to scale, based on your dimensions. As you can see there is one discrepancy in dimensions you posted.

Would be nice to know how high the case feeders are. and the mounted 750's. Also is your door width measurements the door itself or the door with casing. Best to measure to the door slab itself. Is your door really 6'11" high....I'm showing 6'8" (normal) and it barely fits under the angled ceiling.....

I squared of the bench by the entrance....I know you have it beveled but IME you will lose useful bench length if you do....I'll hack it off if you want.;)

If you print out the pdf it should be 1/4"= 1'-0" I will rescale the dimensions to normal for that scale (smaller) but I wanted this prelim to be easy to read.

Once the drawing is accurate, you can play with lots of options....like extending the bench even the length of the room with shorter turnouts for the presses.....I'll show you what I mean one the drawing of the room is corrected...

I bought a drafting stool that swivels and made my bench 42" high so I could have my knees go under while seated.... Even being shorter than you, I don't care for having to sit down low, ever. The stool is closer to standing height, so moving from one function to another is easier. That is especially nice as I get ancienter.

makeurownfun
10-18-2021, 09:31 PM
The beginnings of a 2D floor plan to scale, based on your dimensions. As you can see there is one discrepancy in dimensions you posted.

Would be nice to know how high the case feeders are. and the mounted 750's. Also is your door width measurements the door itself or the door with casing. Best to measure to the door slab itself. Is your door really 6'11" high....I'm showing 6'8" (normal) and it barely fits under the angled ceiling.....

I squared of the bench by the entrance....I know you have it beveled but IME you will lose useful bench length if you do....I'll hack it off if you want.;)

If you print out the pdf it should be 1/4"= 1'-0" I will rescale the dimensions to normal for that scale (smaller) but I wanted this prelim to be easy to read.

Once the drawing is accurate, you can play with lots of options....like extending the bench even the length of the room with shorter turnouts for the presses.....I'll show you what I mean one the drawing of the room is corrected...

I bought a drafting stool that swivels and made my bench 42" high so I could have my knees go under while seated.... Even being shorter than you, I don't care for having to sit down low, ever. The stool is closer to standing height, so moving from one function to another is easier. That is especially nice as I get ancienter.

The 750s with case feeders are 43.75” tall with my strong mounts. Call it 44 but I’d also like to keep about 8-10” above that to be able to fill them and swap the feed plates

The door and window measurements are only door and window. The casings are 1x4s and I measure from the walls to the outside of the casing. And yes the door casing is trimmed for the angle wall like you have it on the print too
The sketch showing the size of that one wall isn’t to scale like the original I drew out to where 1 block was right at 8”

Thanks for helping me with this though! Would love all of the feedback and/or critiques too. I had never thought of doing an island in the middle, might would be ok, but we will see what it all looks like

OS OK
10-19-2021, 12:28 AM
Just spitballing here but often we get stuck with conventional wisdom and often end up creating more work than it’s worth. Step back, review your real estate/floor plan and think about a center island work around bench. If clearances work there are any many many advantages to this type of bench. Having 360° of working access like a woodworkers trestle bench the concept has proven itself for hundreds of years. And though it should be anchored to the deck with weight it’s not real critical so the option to move it, if needed, is a nice feature. Think about it.

Never knew anyone who tried such a thing...but since I do woodworking, metalworking & maintain equipment I use on the acreage + having 50 years of tool collection, I couldn't afford an entire wall of space to line up my presses and...moving presses from shelf storage to docks is out of the question. My presses are simple & without collators or bullet feeders but this simple layout might give you some incentive to ''think out of the box''. When I want to use a specific press, I want it now. I am too lame-brain to reset things for some specific loading...it's wasted time for me.
So I considered a round bench in the center of the reloading, casting, tumbling & PC'ing area...it was a crapshoot of an idea but now after many years working in this environment, I wouldn't change one thing.

https://i.imgur.com/0XI7g1z.jpg

The scales are mounted on their own shelf on a dedicated pedestal that goes through the center of this round bench, they adjust in height & adjust to whichever press you want to work from, they are not affected by bench vibrations.

https://i.imgur.com/4aFgeDN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/66r7y6f.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/IuTp2Zb.jpg

It is a heavy bench, double 3/4" plywood top on a 2x6 hexagonal frame with 3 legs...each press is mounted above a leg, there's no tipping when using the presses.
This shop could be described as having 8 pounds of stuff in a 3 pound bag. I have an extra single garage connected to this one but it is full of machinery I seldom use and is a mini-hardware store of parts-n-pieces I've collected over many years of contracting.
It's often too much stuff but I've never been able to just clean house without regretting having gotten rid of something...it's a curse.

GWS
10-19-2021, 01:02 AM
Posting one Island Idea, with a lot of extra bench for gun building and such. Just an idea to give you more ideas.

I think the drawing is pretty accurate now that I got your measuring system down.;)

makeurownfun
10-19-2021, 08:59 AM
It is a heavy bench, double 3/4" plywood top on a 2x6 hexagonal frame with 3 legs...each press is mounted above a leg, there's no tipping when using the presses.
This shop could be described as having 8 pounds of stuff in a 3 pound bag. I have an extra single garage connected to this one but it is full of machinery I seldom use and is a mini-hardware store of parts-n-pieces I've collected over many years of contracting.
It's often too much stuff but I've never been able to just clean house without regretting having gotten rid of something...it's a curse.

Yes. I had never saw a setup like that or even though of it. But it makes sense too. Simple
Is that El Dorado, AR?

Posting one Island Idea, with a lot of extra bench for gun building and such. Just an idea to give you more ideas.

I think the drawing is pretty accurate now that I got your measuring system down.;)

Ohhhh, now I do like that! It puts both Dillons with case feeders under the full height of the ceiling. Even with the shelves being moved over to the other side wouldn’t be bad either. Plus the brass cleaning directly across from the bathroom makes more sense than having to walk around the corner. Not to mention that would be a ton of bench space which is never a bad thing! Run a shelf under the top and then hang the wall control pegboards on the wall above the bench for more organizing

Ok, well what does the base of your bench look like? I’d rather it be a tad overbuilt and not flex. I was thinking 2x6 across the wall, vertical 2x4s off of that to form the “frame” of the top, 2x4 bracing every 2-3’, and I actually thought about running another 2x6 across the wall and running 2x4s at a 45 from there to the outside of the benchtop frame. But that would put all of the strain on the studs and Sheetrock alone

Oh and there was no “measuring system” lol. I had no intentions of showing anyone that. I just knew I planned on being in this house for a while and I wanted it built right. This is my first house and I can be a little OCD with things
I did a year of construction management (drafting) back around 2006 and I just wanted to plan it out so I could kind of see how much walking space I would have around the room essentially

garbler
10-19-2021, 11:17 AM
I’ve built several rooms with center island benches but never a round one. I really like OS ‘s round bench and can see several advantages to it much like a round dinner table. Better access to machines and probably easier working positions. However unless you’re a woodworker building a round table and base can be a challenge compared to right angles. I would suggest hitting used furniture stores and find a farm or family style heavy dinning table. You’ll save money and time and using it as a base you can overlay with ply and laminate, beef up the top underneath, use the leaf if necessary and modify and reinforce the base as needed.

If you were closer to Michigan I’d give you one of my nice heavy flat bench tops that I’ve kept after shutting down my furniture business. Very heavy very flat. BTW I’ve seen many shops that repurpose old heavy wood entry doors by overlaying with 3/4” ply. Lots of good stuff out there. I once bought two 12’x4’ heavy mahogany library tables I used for glue stations at about 5% of what I could build them for. Of course I had a forklift and I didn’t have to move it upstairs. One last thing try to keep your weight down on the middle of your joists. The wall perimeter should hold most weight.

OS OK
10-19-2021, 12:03 PM
Yes. I had never saw a setup like that or even though of it. But it makes sense too. Simple
Is that El Dorado, AR?

Ohhhh, now I do like that! It puts both Dillons with case feeders under the full height of the ceiling. Even with the shelves being moved over to the other side wouldn’t be bad either. Plus the brass cleaning directly across from the bathroom makes more sense than having to walk around the corner. Not to mention that would be a ton of bench space which is never a bad thing! Run a shelf under the top and then hang the wall control pegboards on the wall above the bench for more organizing

Ok, well what does the base of your bench look like? I’d rather it be a tad overbuilt and not flex. I was thinking 2x6 across the wall, vertical 2x4s off of that to form the “frame” of the top, 2x4 bracing every 2-3’, and I actually thought about running another 2x6 across the wall and running 2x4s at a 45 from there to the outside of the benchtop frame. But that would put all of the strain on the studs and Sheetrock alone

Oh and there was no “measuring system” lol. I had no intentions of showing anyone that. I just knew I planned on being in this house for a while and I wanted it built right. This is my first house and I can be a little OCD with things
I did a year of construction management (drafting) back around 2006 and I just wanted to plan it out so I could kind of see how much walking space I would have around the room essentially

"It's El Dorado -behind enemy lines- California!"

Ok, well what does the base of your bench look like? I'll see if I can give you a picture tour that makes sense...the bottom, hex frame of 2x6 & 4x4 post legs face cut to fit that 60º inside frame angle...everything 'screwed & glued' to the hilt...(I could have made the under-frame wider to give even better stability under the 48" diameter top but I wanted wide flanges under the top for miscellaneous clamping of temporary tools, that little Lee C press I use for de-capping gets moved around & when I use the brass trimmer I clamp it also.)

https://i.imgur.com/Bi58Xim.jpg

Panning down to the back view of the old industrial first aid station I use for a die storage box...that orange extension cord goes up to the ceiling outlet for the garage door opener, the other end feeds the plug strip mounted on the leg to the right...

https://i.imgur.com/4uKViYC.jpg

Looking a little farther down there's the base of the scales shelf, it's an old fire truck brake disc that weighs plenty much...

https://i.imgur.com/Mka4pT0.jpg

At the bottom of it all, there's a 5/8" x 10" (?) stove bolt for leveling, it screws into a barrel nut-(rod coupler) that hammers into the wood, the hole it goes up into just barley will allow the bolt's OD, this prevents wobble.

https://i.imgur.com/nhtN5pC.jpg

On the top-side there's the view of the shelf adjusting knob...just a pipe over a pipe and a 1/4" x 20 thd. knob-screw to tighten the shelf in place...

https://i.imgur.com/wLqccKR.jpg

Originally I had not planned for a sizing press above the die storage, but as things in the shop morph I added this press...

https://i.imgur.com/MkHTaTw.jpg

that led to adding a counter weight on the underside to prevent any tipping action from sizing hard rifle casts...these are 3 x 25 pound bricks of range lead. Would just one do? I don't know, I added the 3 and never looked back because I can size and there's no indication of any tipping towards that press...

https://i.imgur.com/lKmez3x.jpg

On the topside of the pipe shelf support I added a bench magnet from Harbor Freight...it's the place I keep all the small tools that disappear among the presses...one of the handiest 'after thoughts' I've had yet.

https://i.imgur.com/rfpMml9.jpg

That about sizes things up, if I haven't made clear something I can take more pictures if you wish.
On a side note...cabinets are great things to keep things organized. One thing is my library...I collected books about reloading, firearm take-down, load manuals from the early 60's...I can't stress enough having a special place for all that. Many other parts and pieces are associated with these presses, like repair & consumables & these type things are labeled for what they go to and kept in the cabinets. I could go on and on about cabinets but won't, I'd bore everyone to death.
Hope this inspires you to make an island too...until you actually use it you just can't imagine how handy it is to have 'all your presses' available 'all the time', we multi-task in this hobby and especially so when we are working up a load or experimenting.
Good luck with your build, I'll be following closely...I enjoy watching someone setting up a shop with 'fore-thought' & proper 'engineering & layout'.

charlie

Baltimoreed
10-19-2021, 12:56 PM
Neat idea Charlie. I used cubicle desks for my bench build that came from the habitat store. My room is 10x12 and the bench runs the length of the wall. I added a separate pedestal for another Dillon. My tall stool has wheels so I just scoot around the room when I’m reloading. I sit when I reload. Stood and walked for 40 years.

OS OK
10-19-2021, 01:33 PM
Neat idea Charlie. I used cubicle desks for my bench build that came from the habitat store. My room is 10x12 and the bench runs the length of the wall. I added a separate pedestal for another Dillon. My tall stool has wheels so I just scoot around the room when I’m reloading. I sit when I reload. Stood and walked for 40 years.

In my last shop I built a 20' bench thinking that would be the 'cat's meow'...just line up all this equipment and I'll have it made! NOT TO BE...I liked the bench space but, being such a pack-rat and leaving tools from one end to the other I was always searching through the debris and parts-n-pieces that found their way to the back of the bench next to the wall. I started out well organized but that didn't last very long at all.
I have to compromise with my way of leaving stuff around...having the round bench I treat it as an assembly center (I can reach across and grab the calipers or something I left at another press without taking a trip down the bench)...I am bringing the parts-n-pieces I need for loading and being diligent about leaving any extra stuff laying around in the way. (In other words...pick up & put away stuff when I'm done, I keep saying this to myself...it's partially working now)
Still, it looks cluttered but it's workable & lost tools and such is a thing of the past now.
I used a roll-around stool for the longest & loved it and it finally broke at the bottom where it's a cast aluminum assembly...I need to buy another stool like the old one but can't find one so I'm on non moveable stools at the moment.
I like your setup.

GWS
10-19-2021, 05:48 PM

The base? That's in my first post in the plans, and pictures of the thing. But I use a triple 2x4 torsion beam.....meaning it's heavy enough the press handle can't twist it. The top is just a single layer of 3/4" plywood which is screwed to a 2X4 cleat lagged into each stud.....so you don't see any flex. There's a gazillion ways to beef of a bench, but that torsion beam does it with the least amount of material....any more would be wasted....but I bolt my presses directly through the beam with 5" long bolts through the press, top, and beam, then a fender washer then a nut. No press stands for me, at 42" high I don't need or want them. I added drawer stacks and shelf underneath as needed. My legs are built up for mass and looks, glued and screwed with counter sunk and filled trim screws.

https://i.postimg.cc/8C0hSxxm/Bench-Support.png

That said .... how you built it is a personal thing....there is no wrong way unless it flexes or breaks under load. But tough and inexpensive are not of necessity, mutually exclusive.

I don't have an island, but if I wanted one, I'd probably build that with beams all around to add weight....and cross pieces every 12 to 16 inches.....my against the wall 2' wide benches don't need cross pieces except at ends. I mean you have 24" minus 4-1/2" at the beam, and 1-1/2" at the wall, leaving only 18" in between....and with 3/4" plywood it really doesn't need any more cross pieces....already stiff as hell.

makeurownfun
10-22-2021, 09:37 PM
I don't have an island, but if I wanted one, I'd probably build that with beams all around to add weight....and cross pieces every 12 to 16 inches.....my against the wall 2' wide benches don't need cross pieces except at ends. I mean you have 24" minus 4-1/2" at the beam, and 1-1/2" at the wall, leaving only 18" in between....and with 3/4" plywood it really doesn't need any more cross pieces....already stiff as hell.

Now Im really contemplating doing an island... I really like the full bench all the way down the wall. Brass prep right across from the bathroom/sink, plenty of room for gun building and cleaning, not to mention just that much more work surface. Then the island I could do a "Dillon Island" sort of lol. I think ill tape it off on the floor and see what it looks like as far as space and walking room around there. Plus being able to mount a smaller TV on the wall beside the door this way is also a bonus.

Could build a shelf under all of these tops as well for even more storage

Baltimoreed
10-22-2021, 11:12 PM
I would also suggest installing those desk lights with the 4 parallel arms with swivel heads. I have 4 where I can put multiple lights right where I’m working. Just grab them and point ‘em where needed. I mounted them to shelving and wall mounts. You can never have too much light or shelves. And don’t forget your stereo or 8 Track. Gotta have tunes. My pix is old as that end of it has been rebuilt.

GWS
10-22-2021, 11:14 PM
Could build a shelf under all of these tops as well for even more storage

Yes, easy. A drawer stack or two would really add storage too.....know a carpenter? ;) If not maybe buy something?

Baltimoreed's comment is indeed important.....light.....you need way more than you have. I would buy a bunch more can lights and if you supply them with LED bulbs, you and add a lot, since they use a fraction of the wattage incandescent lighting uses. No florescents though...they cause drift on electronic scales....as does heat vents moving air, so deflect those away from your scales too.

Good luck with your project! Pictures....when you get her done!

makeurownfun
10-23-2021, 12:33 AM
Yes, easy. A drawer stack or two would really add storage too.....know a carpenter? ;) If not maybe buy something?

Baltimoreed's comment is indeed important.....light.....you need way more than you have. I would buy a bunch more can lights and if you supply them with LED bulbs, you and add a lot, since they use a fraction of the wattage incandescent lighting uses. No florescents though...they cause drift on electronic scales....as does heat vents moving air, so deflect those away from your scales too.

Good luck with your project! Pictures....when you get her done!

Oh yeah, already planned on bench lights somewhere. I do like that leg design you posted and ill probably utilize that. Thought about adding crossbraces laid on their side (2x4) to add some thickness under the bench top for the Dillons to bolt through as well. Excited to get this build started regardless!

Now to decide on an island or not. IF I dont, I will still need to get one of the Dillons towards the center of the room, and without a kickout, idk how to achieve that. Maybe the island idea is the way. What size is that island in the second drawing you posted?

CLAYPOOL
10-23-2021, 01:24 AM
My oldest is now 38 . One of her "Fondest" memory's is loading shells for my Prairie Dog hunting trips. I told her each shell has to be 100 % right for your dad's safety and the guy with me... She all ways smiles talking about me letting here load... :wink:

GWS
10-23-2021, 02:59 AM
Now to decide on an island or not. IF I dont, I will still need to get one of the Dillons towards the center of the room, and without a kickout, idk how to achieve that. Maybe the island idea is the way. What size is that island in the second drawing you posted?

I added dimensions to that drawing....take another look. ;)

The island is 66x36, but the drawing also now has measurements from everything around it.

makeurownfun
10-30-2021, 11:44 AM
I added dimensions to that drawing....take another look. ;)

The island is 66x36, but the drawing also now has measurements from everything around it.

Started on the bench. About to add the 2x4s across the front then go back and add onto the legs for the “tortion” part (idk how else to describe it)

You do add a 2x4 between the legs and sandwiched between the 2 2x4s across the legs too? I thought about leaving the middle 2x4 out incase that’s where some mounting bolts go. I guess I could drill through them as well, just have to use like a 6” bolt to mount the presses down

GWS
10-30-2021, 05:19 PM
I used the 6" bolts ..... the 2X4's for the beam need to be screwed and glued together. I used 3" long deck screws....try not to put screws where you plan to drill for vertical bolts. As you can see in post 32, I didn't add 2x4's in the back of the legs, but you can, obviously wherever you wish. Being that the leg is stout as it is you could just screw a couple of vertical blocks flush at the back then add a full high 2x4 at the back and quarter-round molding at the back two corners too.....I didn't go that far. On the island where you can walk all the way around you might want to for looks.

But the horizontal torsion beam needs to be 3 solid 2x4's glued and screwed to resist twisting when you crank the presses. Not much stronger than 6" bolts through the whole thing.....

Looks like you are well on the way.....i wish you success!

makeurownfun
10-30-2021, 05:38 PM
Makes sense. I went ahead and added the middle 2x4 and put on the front 2x4 as well. Those pieces are glued and screwed together. I didn’t put as many screws in those pieces as the glue is strong and I didn’t want to take a chance in one of the screws being in the way of a press. But it does have screws in it
Then I ran out of 2x4s again lol. Now I’m headed to get some more and frame out the shelf below this, then it’s maple plywood time.

The island will be next, that one will look as good as I can make it since you can see every side of it. This bench is level and straight, and for sure stout enough

Updates as soon as I get more 2x4s

lightman
10-30-2021, 07:15 PM
Thats a nice looking space. I'm sure you will spend many happy hours there. Please continue with the pictures of your progress.

David2011
10-30-2021, 11:20 PM
If you don’t have lights yet, I highly recommend the Barrina LEDs from Amazon. I put two of the 8 footers in my reloading room and they provide tons of light. I put 8 of the 8 footers in the general shop which about the size of a two car garage and have 4 times as much light as a school classroom by actual measurement with a good light meter. They’re priced very economically.

garbler
10-31-2021, 10:21 AM
“ are glued and screwed together. “

As a former wood boat builder and furniture maker I appreciate the need for proper glue joints but I also understand the hard way that once glued you can’t take it apart you have to TEAR it apart. Think of your project as a prototype and that some tweaking will almost always be necessary down the road. This type of wall bench is fine with good screw fasteners ( not nails ) on the framing joinerwork since once the top is installed and fastened and a shelve fitted below it will stiffen right up. Not to get into an argument here but all this talk about torsional press loads on the legs makes little sense to me. A heavy ply top well supported underneath will spread any press loads out into the bench framing.
Good luck

Rick

oley55
10-31-2021, 10:45 AM

As a former wood boat builder and furniture maker I appreciate the need for proper glue joints but I also understand the hard way that once glued you can’t take it apart you have to TEAR it apart. Think of your project as a prototype and that some tweaking will almost always be necessary down the road. This type of wall bench is fine with good screw fasteners ( not nails ) on the framing joinerwork since once the top is installed and fastened and a shelve fitted below it will stiffen right up. Not to get into an argument here but all this talk about torsional press loads on the legs makes little sense to me. A heavy ply top well supported underneath will spread any press loads out into the bench framing.
Good luck

Rick

some good points. As ole Dad used to say, "the screws are mostly just to hold everything together until the glue sets." End grain connections not withstanding of course.

Three44s
10-31-2021, 11:55 AM
When I suggested an island, I was thinking just an island.

Since you are already constructing a bench, maybe you need to reconsider adding an island as well.

Three44s

OS OK
10-31-2021, 01:00 PM

Good luck

Rick

Most all of our presses have a small footprint that doesn't allow us to take advantage of that thick plywood top...I put plates under my presses and they do not rock at the end of the stroke.

https://i.imgur.com/t1bLcI3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RgTznlN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0xEdn9D.jpg

garbler
10-31-2021, 03:28 PM
My comments regarding the plywood top are to point out that a stiff multi-directional laminate top will transfer loads in every direction. If you need doubler pads or foundation plates to extend the footprint of your press it makes no difference as the hold down fasteners still transfer the loads to the top. All of my cantilever presses use such pads or plates for various reasons, strength, access to nuts underneath, etc.

Rick

GWS
10-31-2021, 04:17 PM

Good luck

Rick

I think you are misunderstanding. It's only the torsion beam.....3-2X4's he's gluing. That's to make them them act together as one....a stronger beam that a timber that size. Everything else you can take apart. Only long 3" deck screws for the support, 1 5/8" for the top. Look into "trim" screws for that....the heads are small enough to fill and hide, since he is using Maple plywood to be stained and not covered with formica. Trim screws are way stronger fasteners than finish nails. They either use a star bit or a square bit screwdriver to insert them. Trim screws with square bit heads are cheaper and imo less likely to strip.

https://i.postimg.cc/yY4QxKFx/trim.jpg

BTW, with the leg design, it's not hard to hide an el bracket inside and fasten the back leg parts to hide them with trim screws you can remove. (thinking here about the Island.....depends on whether he wants it anchored)

I've built no boats, just 50 buildings and a hundred homes....but I understand the need for a reloading bench to be able to be taken apart. ;)

garbler
10-31-2021, 04:29 PM
“ But I use a triple 2x4 torsion beam.....meaning it's heavy enough the press handle can't twist it. “

So maybe this comment of yours is what got me thinking this way. Oh well one way or the other I am positive this man will end up with a great reloading room to the envy of most.

Rick

GWS
10-31-2021, 04:51 PM
Yup.....I'm already jealous.....I wish I had that much room just for reloading! But on the other hand....I may be too old to adequately enjoy such a facility.

OS OK
10-31-2021, 04:57 PM
If your using screws with full shank threads (pictured above with GWS)...
I suggest using a counter sink bit to drill the larger frame members, say your drilling through a 2x4 and going to screw into another 2x4...use a bit that's the same diameter as the shank of the screw, don't drill into the other 2x4 you are mounting into.
This way the screw uses all its grab ability to pull the 2 - 2x4 together for a super tight joint.

https://i.imgur.com/n37b0NX.jpg

I've used screws that have an inch to an inch & one half of un-threaded shank next to the head end, those don't need to be pre-drilled.

https://i.imgur.com/h5G8Kg4.jpg

garbler
10-31-2021, 05:32 PM
Yup.....I'm already jealous.....I wish I had that much room just for reloading! But on the other hand....I may be too old to adequately enjoy such a facility.

Yea me too.

GWS
10-31-2021, 07:34 PM
OS OK: The picture was the first trim screw I found on Google, some do have recessed shanks. But with trim screws I just drill a small hole through the 3/4" top first, with a regular drill, just so the screw will go in tight. That makes it so you can screw it "set" under the surface enough to fill it flush with putty....it pulls the top tight. Keep in mind this is going into soft wood. For hardwood kitchen cabinet framework all those goodies you pictured are fine tools and necessary for fine work. But I still use finish nail guns on this type of project when fastening a hardwood maple face.....which faces, I assume the OP may want to use in front of his Maple top.....You can also fasten them with trim screws, but even predrilled holes followed by hand nailed finish nails, isn't hard to do.....just have a countersink tool handy.;)

For the 3" deck screws, going into soft 2x4's I don't bother....but of course 3" deck screws do have a recessed shank below the head. The heads can countersink just fine without any special countersink drilling bits. That said, pre-drilling with shank diameter regular drill bits is helpful and requires less experience when the screws follow the holes.

makeurownfun
11-01-2021, 07:47 PM
The only pieces that were glued, were the front “beam”. Everything else can be disassembled no problem.
I am using 3”, 2.5”, and 1.5” screws. The 3” screws went into the wall into the studs. The 2.5” are used to screw 2x4s to 2x4s through pocket holes. The 1.5” screws will be used to screw 1x1 onto the underside of the “frame” and then screw screws from the bottom into the top plywood for no screw heads or anything to be seen from the top. I did my fathers bench this way for his wood working shop and I liked how it came out

I am using “good” screws IMO. I do predrill a really small hole if I am close to the end of a board to prevent it splitting.

Next will be to paint everything you’d see black and then pickup the maple to finish the top and start the poly or stain or whatever I’m going to do. The bottom shelf will get a 1/2” plywood, maybe birch or something since it isn’t that much more in the grand scheme of things (considering prices during this insane time)

I’d like to get the bench done completely and then build the island. Always open to ideas and/or critiques. The shelf on the bottom wasn’t super planned out, but it won’t hold all that much weight probably. The open spot is for the mini fridge and who knows what else

GWS
11-01-2021, 11:22 PM
You got a great start! Lucky you!;) May it go fast so you can reload soon!

Blindshooter
11-02-2021, 06:10 PM
OP, thanks for taking the time to post your new room build.

It reminds me so much of one I did in the early 90's.

I'd still have it if not for evil wife #2.

Wish I'd thought about an island back then. Also wish I'd never give that woman access to my money/credit.:smile:

makeurownfun
11-02-2021, 06:56 PM
You got a great start! Lucky you!;) May it go fast so you can reload soon!

Thank you! Looking to buy the maple Friday and hopefully have the bench painted by Thursday. Will of course post updates along the way. Thinking of adding the Wall Control metal pegboard above the bench along the wall for modular storage options. But definitely want to build some shallow shelves for things like die boxes and such

makeurownfun
11-02-2021, 06:58 PM
OP, thanks for taking the time to post your new room build.

It reminds me so much of one I did in the early 90's.

I'd still have it if not for evil wife #2.

Wish I'd thought about an island back then. Also wish I'd never give that woman access to my money/credit.:smile:

Hahah. I hate to hear that man. Hopefully my pictures take you back to the better times at least

I had never thought of doing an island before either, but that’s why I made a post asking for ideas and I am glad I did. It makes sense for this room. If the walls weren’t shaped this way I probably wouldn’t do it, but needing the height for the Dillons, they needed to be in the middle of the room somehow

And I have never been married. Maybe that’s selfish, but I like to think of myself more as cautious;)

OS OK
11-02-2021, 07:26 PM
Hahah. I hate to hear that man. Hopefully my pictures take you back to the better times at least

I had never thought of doing an island before either, but that’s why I made a post asking for ideas and I am glad I did. It makes sense for this room. If the walls weren’t shaped this way I probably wouldn’t do it, but needing the height for the Dillons, they needed to be in the middle of the room somehow

And I have never been married. Maybe that’s selfish, but I like to think of myself more as cautious;)

A word of wisdom from an old'Fart married 3 times. This 3'rd time was the charm...43 years and still ticking!

"Just make sure when you do fall in Love, that it's Love and not Lust!" :bigsmyl2:

GWS
11-02-2021, 07:51 PM
I was lucky....one time 50 years next year. I think my success there was due to marrying a rancher's daughter. They had only enough money to live, so she was used to being frugal and low maintenance....Heck she was better with my money than I was.....still is....so I deliver the whole paycheck without a care in the world. Trust is a wonderful thing ..... and it goes both ways. There are some really good girls out there.....find one to spend your waning years with if you want real happiness....and be what you want her to be. ;)

OS OK
11-02-2021, 08:01 PM
I was lucky....one time 50 years next year. I think my success there was due to marrying a rancher's daughter. They had only enough money to live, so she was used to being frugal and low maintenance....Heck she was better with my money than I was.....still is....so I deliver the whole paycheck without a care in the world. Trust is a wonderful thing ..... and it goes both ways. There are some really good girls out there.....find one to spend your waning years with if you want real happiness....and be what you want her to be. ;)

Same story here...she helped me start my contracting business in 1978, took care of all the $'s incoming and outgoing business & home.
That quality alone in a woman makes for peace of mind on earth!

Blindshooter
11-03-2021, 07:27 AM

No worries! I'm a water under the bridge kind of guy.

I have a (almost) dedicated 20x20 building for reloading, gun projects and tool storage.

OS OK, I'm on #3 now! First one up and died on me, evil #2 robbed me and I believe #3 is perfect.

makeurownfun
11-03-2021, 08:16 PM
3 coats of satin “black magic” paint
Ready for the maple this weekend! Not to polyurethane? Varnish? Oil? Stain? Leaning towards poly because it will hold up better for longer. But again, open to suggestions

garbler
11-03-2021, 09:53 PM
You can save some headaches down the road by forgetting coatings like polyurethane, varnishes or any similar coating systems. All are easily damaged or broken down by many of standard gun cleaning or solvents used in gun rooms. The easiest option but a tad pricey is seven lam 3/4” UV one side maple ply. This stuff has an epoxy coating which will be impervious to the solvents and chemicals previously noted. You’ll have to find a real full service supplier dealing in a full spread of cabinet and marine plywood. Otherwise I’d say overlay with a laminate ( Formica ) or flood coat with epoxy resin or perhaps polyester resin, either can be tinted if you like.

Good luck
Rick

makeurownfun
11-04-2021, 09:22 PM
Well I gave the bench a couple days off. So I moved just over half of my lead stash. Still trying to find some milk crates to be a little more organized with it. But for now this takes up the least space in the garage lol

GWS
11-05-2021, 11:51 AM
And a forklift? ;) And a chemistry set? You'd really have something it you could turn lead to gold!

makeurownfun
11-06-2021, 12:04 AM
And a forklift? ;) And a chemistry set? You'd really have something it you could turn lead to gold!

Haha, no forklift. Just back problems in a couple years lol.
I wish I could turn that into gold! I have probably 1000 more pounds to move and 90% of it will be in one location finally

Today I ripped the maple down and got it sitting in place. I’ve been attaching the 1.5x1.5 strips underneath to attach the maple from the bottom to the bench. But now I’m going to slightly round over the outer edge and polyurethane them 3-4 times. Also the bottom shelf will be 1/2” sanded plywood that I will also paint black
On the bench you can see a section of the Wall Control, I think it’s going to work out well

GWS
11-06-2021, 01:11 AM
Looking better every day! How tall did you decide to make your benchwork? I really like my drawer stack.....maybe you can get a prebuilt one to slide in somewhere.

You may influence me yet to built a little more bench on the other side of my room....it's looking good enough to cause some jealous thoughts! ;)

Baltimoreed
11-06-2021, 10:09 AM
Looks like you’ll be standing to work your presses. I built my bench so I could sit in a tall wheeled stool. I also made the bench front support legs angled back to the wall rather than square to the floor. Less footprint. Yours looks good. Don’t forget dedicated shelving, narrow shallow shelves for die boxes and bullet boxes, tall deep ones for books.

makeurownfun
11-06-2021, 10:12 AM
Looking better every day! How tall did you decide to make your benchwork? I really like my drawer stack.....maybe you can get a prebuilt one to slide in somewhere.

You may influence me yet to built a little more bench on the other side of my room....it's looking good enough to cause some jealous thoughts! ;)

They are 40” to the top of the maple. Being 6’1 this height seemed more comfortable to be able to stand and work the presses. I will also have tool “bar stools” at some point and will be able to sit and work the presses as well
Yes I am going to figure out some type of drawer system somewhere for sure. Thinking of getting something to go beside where the mini fridge will go possibly

makeurownfun
11-06-2021, 10:13 AM
Looks like you’ll be standing to work your presses. I built my bench so I could sit in a tall wheeled stool. I also made the bench front support legs angled back to the wall rather than square to the floor. Less footprint. Yours looks good. Don’t forget dedicated shelving, narrow shallow shelves for die boxes and bullet boxes, tall deep ones for books.

Oh I will definitely have shelving and racks for storage. The pegboard wall I’m putting up, I have shelves that go on them and I plan on building small narrow shelves for parts of the bench for die storage and other things as well

Baltimoreed
11-06-2021, 10:19 AM
My benches are only 33” tall. I’m 6’4”. Don’t need a fridge as I’m off right my kitchen. Never messed with any drawers. I leave my clutter out in the open.

oley55
11-06-2021, 11:59 AM
Have you locked-in on your press mounting method yet. I saw where you were considering using Tee channel and wondered if you had rethought that or not. I studied long and hard at that option but finally decided against it. My reloading bench is also my workbench and I just couldn't get around the reality of forever loosing small pieces, primers n powder down in there (and the cost). Although there are push in slot covers to keep stuff out, there went the flat work surface. Or the likelihood the 3/4" plywood is not thick enough to accommodate the routered slots and still have enough backing material for the Tee track's mounting screws to bite into.

I ultimately went with the blind Tee nuts and countersunk the top so that I could maintain a flat work surface with no place for stuff to fall through or into. If my mounting location landed over one of the top frame supports, I just used longer bolts. It is amazing just how strong those Tee nuts are, especially if you are using plates to spread out the push n pull forces.

https://www.amazon.com/RuiLing-Pronged-Furniture-Inserts-Prongs/dp/B0746FTJT2
The link is merely for pic purposes, They are available with longer/shorter shoulders depending on the material you are going into/through. Also in stainless or uncoated steel. I also found that you can counter sink into the steel threads without screwing up the threads. If something goes wrong you just drive them out with appropriately sized threaded bolt.

Since I used (10) 9"X10.5"X3/8" aluminum mounting plates, 1/4" (bolts) have proven to be more than adequate. All of my plates are identical with identical mounting holes which allow any plate/tool to be relocated into any set of installed Tee-nuts. My plates all mirror the modified hole locations I drilled into a medium sized In-Line fab riser. All bolts are flat headed counter sunk hex bolts.

My method is no better or worse than other options, but it works for me. If you want more info or pics PM me so we can exchanged phone numbers. My allotted forum space for pics is always teetering on full, texting pics doesn't eat up forum space.

Edit note: 11/20, I forgot to mention I had modified my in-line fab mount to accept all of my 3/8" flat plates. So I can use any of my presses/tools at workbench height or on the in-line fab mount.

David2011
11-08-2021, 04:23 PM
Oley55, your mounting system is very much like mine except that I made a stupid overkill decision. My plates were originally 6”x12”x1/2” steel. I could have gotten by with 1/4” easily. The reason for going 1/2” was because I was drilling and tapping for the presses but 1/4” would have had plenty of threads.

I later made additional 6x6 and 6x12 plates of 1/2” aircraft plywood for powder measures, case trimmers and similar low stress tools. Baltic ply would work just as well and is less expensive than aircraft ply but I used what I already had. Hobby Lobby is one source of plywood that has lots of plies. It’s plenty good for that use.

makeurownfun
11-10-2021, 10:50 PM
Oley55, I decided to not use the T-track. I can see where it can be somewhat convenient, but I can also see the PITA it would be more often than not with dropping stuff into it. Also only using a single sheet of 3/4” for the top, I’m not sure it would have been thick enough for it. I do like what you did for your mounting, my Dillons do have inlinefab mounts for them, just waiting to finish the top before I start “permanently” mounting things. Certainly taking my time and planning it all out before drilling holes

Work this week and let has been kind of hectic. Not much time at all spent in the room, but I was able to finish putting in the last bit of 1.5”x1.5” around the inside of the frame to mount the bench top. Plus I was able to cut out that last piece of top for the end where the “brass prep” will be. Oh, and houses do not have a SINGLE straight wall in them… have to pickup some chamfer strip to cover some gaps

gnappi
11-11-2021, 12:25 PM
WOW!!! You're either not married or have the BEST wife on the planet!

In my first three houses my allowable reloading space was negotiated with my ex. I now have an "ex" so I spread out all I need in the air conditioned (AC is a necessity in south Florida unless suffering is part of the sport) garage :-)

makeurownfun
11-11-2021, 06:12 PM
WOW!!! You're either not married or have the BEST wife on the planet!

In my first three houses my allowable reloading space was negotiated with my ex. I now have an "ex" so I spread out all I need in the air conditioned (AC is a necessity in south Florida unless suffering is part of the sport) garage :-)

No sir, not married :D

Baltimoreed
11-11-2021, 07:42 PM
I used 3/8” furniture nuts and allen head cap screws to mount my presses. The only ones that I switch around are a 12 and a 20 gauge Bair/Pacific shotgun press depending on what I’m building. Both have the same footprint. My other presses are permanently in place. I had experimented with their location using C clamps until I decided where I wanted them. Your bench looks good and you’re not married too. Plenty of time for hobbies. I’m also single now but was married for 42 years. Found a good one.

makeurownfun
11-15-2021, 11:54 AM
I used 3/8” furniture nuts and allen head cap screws to mount my presses. The only ones that I switch around are a 12 and a 20 gauge Bair/Pacific shotgun press depending on what I’m building. Both have the same footprint. My other presses are permanently in place. I had experimented with their location using C clamps until I decided where I wanted them. Your bench looks good and you’re not married too. Plenty of time for hobbies. I’m also single now but was married for 42 years. Found a good one.

That’s a good idea also. I can mount them with clamps first and try it out for a few weeks and see if I’d like to relocate anything. That’s a good idea

Also, I think once I get the tops coated and mounted permanently, I’m going to assemble one of the Dillons completely, set it on the bench and see how close the the ceiling it is. Maybe set one of them directly on the bench and not the string mount just to see. Who knows, we will see how it looks/works

makeurownfun
11-16-2021, 02:43 PM
Got off work a little early for once. So I decided to start the tops. Pulled them downstairs, sanded to 320, took the top leading edge off, sanded the end grain, and decided to make a wipe on poly for a finish. This way I should get a much more even coat without brush strokes. Oil based satin clear polyurethane mixed with mineral spirits. One coat applied waiting for it to fully cure then to sand it again with 320 or I’m going to try this 0000 steel wool “sanding” and see if that is any better. We shall see

makeurownfun
11-19-2021, 04:20 PM
Tops have been attached. Working on cutting the bottom shelf now. Also managed to moved the last “bit” of ingots today. Roughly around 835 ingots, that average 3lb 10oz each

Rapier
11-19-2021, 04:43 PM
Very nice quarters for the new reloading room. I built my new room three years ago. Watch the possibility of water in the basement, water table, fire and all.

garbler
11-20-2021, 12:16 PM
That overhead fan should be interesting with your scales

makeurownfun
11-22-2021, 12:44 AM
Very nice quarters for the new reloading room. I built my new room three years ago. Watch the possibility of water in the basement, water table, fire and all.

No basements in Louisiana. This is above the garage

That fan was here when I moved in. Will probably be changed out before it’s finished

dale2242
11-22-2021, 09:59 AM
The last word in building a loading room.
"You can never have never have too much lighting or shelves."

The Dar
11-22-2021, 09:52 PM
The last word in building a loading room.
"You can never have never have too much lighting or shelves."

Or outlets, your new reloading room looks wonderful. But I've wondered from day one why you didn't install more outlets.

oley55
11-23-2021, 04:13 PM
Or outlets, your new reloading room looks wonderful. But I've wondered from day one why you didn't install more outlets.

Better late than never...

makeurownfun
11-24-2021, 04:14 PM

The outlets have been bought and will be going in after Thanksgiving. They’re not hard to add in after the fact

Jim22
11-24-2021, 07:42 PM
I am envious. My first dedicated reoading room was a space under the upper stairs in a tri-level house. Because of the width of the steps my bench was less than six feet long. It also had a sloping ceiling but shallower than yours because of the stairs.

Today my loading/casting area is whatever space I can borrow from an eight foot long by two foot wide bench in my garage. It's cluttered with things from my other interests - wood working, electronics, general repair, and welding. Reloading has to be put away when casting , making guitar amps, working on instruments, or casting boolits.

Take your time. Think a small area through at a time, and build it well.

Jim

Baltimoreed
11-25-2021, 11:44 AM
Also don’t see a back splash. Outlets on or inlet into the backsplash?

makeurownfun
11-25-2021, 09:39 PM
Thank you for the kind words @Jim22. Definitely trying to take my time and plan it out

Also don’t see a back splash. Outlets on or inlet into the backsplash?

Backsplash? I am putting in outlets above the bench right now. Above and beside the outlets I will have some Wall Control metal pegboard panels, which will have shelves and all types of other things on them as well

Baltimoreed
11-25-2021, 10:21 PM
A bench with a backsplash looks more finished to me if you are leaving bare wall behind the bench. If you’re going to run pegboard or paneling from bench to ceiling then no. Neither of these are mine.

oley55
12-22-2021, 12:11 PM
makeurownfun,

how about an update?

Finster101
12-23-2021, 06:58 PM

I see no problem with the fan. I assume it has an off switch.

makeurownfun
12-24-2021, 11:49 PM
MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!!!

Ran 24/7 it felt like at work since the last update. Even worked 10 hours today
BUT, I started mocking things up. I need to buy the bullet tray mount from Inline Fabrication still, but being that I built my bench top for my height and to be able to stand and work or sit on a tall barstool. I think I need to move them to the right maybe an once to give just a touch more room on the left side of the left one. But these are just clamped down, no holes yet

Ban
12-24-2021, 11:58 PM
That looks real nice.

Baltimoreed
12-25-2021, 01:22 AM
Looks good. Big machines. Use clamps to experiment with your press locations. Allow enough room between them for any extra bullet blocks, boxes, trays etc. Don’t forget your angled ceiling on the left. Is there going to be anything on the long edge of the bench that when you are working at the left press [closest to the corner] that you are going to interfere with?

makeurownfun
12-25-2021, 01:49 AM
Looks good. Big machines. Use clamps to experiment with your press locations. Allow enough room between them for any extra bullet blocks, boxes, trays etc. Don’t forget your angled ceiling on the left. Is there going to be anything on the long edge of the bench that when you are working at the left press [closest to the corner] that you are going to interfere with?

Not that I have planned, mostly storage in that corner. The corners always seem to be a bit of a “waste” but I will have the metal Wall Control pegboard going down the long side of the bench. So that will allow me to have storage on the wall also. That corner I may stack up dies or something.

I am thinking of getting some of the wall mount from inline for Dillon quick changes. I think that would work well there

I am not 100% sure yet, but if I can get the Dillons to fit on the long side of the bench (under the angled ceiling) I think it’s going to be super close, but if one of them will, I would definitely opt for that option being I would have much more room around them. I also have a few other presses that will go on the bench. Want to have a dedicated gun cleaning/building spot and at the end across from the bathroom will be my tumblers and frankfort Arsenal wet tumbler

Three44s
12-25-2021, 11:11 AM
The French cleat system and a way to lock the units:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=French+Cleat+Wall+System&&view=detail&mid=7CDE2D9F8176EE4F47EE7CDE2D9F8176EE4F47EE&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DFrench%2BCleat%2BWall% 2BSystem%26Form%3DVDRSCL%26%3D0

I have not done this system but it’s interesting.

Three44s

Blindshooter
12-26-2021, 09:35 AM
Not that I have planned, mostly storage in that corner. The corners always seem to be a bit of a “waste” but I will have the metal Wall Control pegboard going down the long side of the bench. So that will allow me to have storage on the wall also. That corner I may stack up dies or something.

I am thinking of getting some of the wall mount from inline for Dillon quick changes. I think that would work well there

I am not 100% sure yet, but if I can get the Dillons to fit on the long side of the bench (under the angled ceiling) I think it’s going to be super close, but if one of them will, I would definitely opt for that option being I would have much more room around them. I also have a few other presses that will go on the bench. Want to have a dedicated gun cleaning/building spot and at the end across from the bathroom will be my tumblers and frankfort Arsenal wet tumbler

Lazy susan for that corner?

Thanks for taking time to post the pics!

makeurownfun
12-26-2021, 11:00 PM
Next up is some shelving around the external corner on the opposite wall. From the bathroom door, wrapped around the corner to the wall with the air ducts. This will be for powder and primers, mainly. I’m sure other junk will also make its way there too

This is the powder that I inherited from my Pappaw and his brother (my uncle) when they passed. The 2lb of 4350 was stuff I got. I also got a couple 8lbers of clays and titegroup. Plus all the powder I have bought, can’t wait to get all the primers out and organized so I can count it all, because it is A LOT (thankfully)

makeurownfun
12-29-2021, 03:19 PM
Today I started the shelves. I wasn’t too sure on exactly how I was going to do them, but this is what happened. And I ran out of 2x4s… Again

Finster101
12-30-2021, 09:43 AM
Looks like it is going to be a really nice setup.

Three44s
12-30-2021, 11:09 AM
The OP will be “stuffin’ rounds in no time now!

Three44s

makeurownfun
12-31-2021, 04:57 PM
Paint. I know I at least need to add the two legs at the corners, but I may add 2 more at the ends. This way if I somehow have extra room, I can stack some brass on it ;)

GWS
12-31-2021, 10:14 PM
Looks like you are a very busy bee! Looks Great, and it looks like you don't need the island anyway.....would probably make moving around too tight. Merry Christmas....have a fun New Year! Now you just need a Thumbler's Tumbler! ;)

https://i.postimg.cc/vZTX4sbV/IMG_3945.jpg

One 2 hour batch of .357 :)

Baltimoreed
12-31-2021, 10:49 PM
Really like your creative black corner shelves. Artsy fartsy. Need some legs on the bottom shelf to strengthen it to support your lead projectiles unless you have another place you’re planning to store it. I store mine in heavy duty shelving I built in my pantry.

makeurownfun
12-31-2021, 11:05 PM
Really like your creative black corner shelves. Artsy fartsy. Need some legs on the bottom shelf to strengthen it to support your lead projectiles unless you have another place you’re planning to store it. I store mine in heavy duty shelving I built in my pantry.

Got ya covered 😬

makeurownfun
12-31-2021, 11:07 PM
Looks like you are a very busy bee! Looks Great, and it looks like you don't need the island anyway.....would probably make moving around too tight. Merry Christmas....have a fun New Year! Now you just need a Thumbler's Tumbler! ;)

https://i.postimg.cc/vZTX4sbV/IMG_3945.jpg

One 2 hour batch of .357 :)

Awesome! Looks like I’m not the only busy bee. I have the big FART wet tumbler and a Frankfort Arsenal media tumbler. Tonight will be inventorying primers and powder on the shelves. Then organizing brass maybe under the bench somewhere

makeurownfun
01-01-2022, 05:35 PM
Well, seems I may need to build some more shelving somewhere lol

I need to count and inventory what I have and what I need. Certainly need more SRP, but who doesnt

makeurownfun
01-07-2022, 06:48 PM
Wall control installed and Inline Fab mounts bolts down finally

makeurownfun
01-09-2022, 11:15 PM
Started on the “backsplash” this evening. Home Depot would have to order Maple 1x2, so I opted for “select pine”, it matches really well. It is just sitting in place, tomorrow I will finish nail them down

GWS
01-09-2022, 11:31 PM
Looking good! Now if it was mine, I'd use the same stuff and nail a face to that plywood......raise it 1/8" higher than the top......then nothing will roll off. ;) I didn't do that with mine....sorry I didn't, too lazy now to redo it. I may yet. I also like the possibility of making a bracket for reloading bins that I could slide the length of the bench and hook a bin. May have to 3d print one to try out.

Three44s
01-10-2022, 12:33 AM
When I first laid eyes on the photos and drawings of the OP’s room I thought it would benefit from a island for work space, use a docking system for presses and have the walls have the storage.

I agree with GWS that an island and a bench system would choke up movement around the OP’s space.

All in all I like what makeurownfun has done here!

Three44s

Finster101
01-10-2022, 07:39 AM
Well, seems I may need to build some more shelving somewhere lol

I need to count and inventory what I have and what I need. Certainly need more SRP, but who doesnt

Are you sure you are not opening a store? LOL. That's more stuff than I have seen on the shelves locally for months.

sparky45
01-10-2022, 10:00 AM
You know; you have more powder than Powder Valley. Good looking setup.

makeurownfun
01-11-2022, 10:59 AM
Are you sure you are not opening a store? LOL. That's more stuff than I have seen on the shelves locally for months.

You know; you have more powder than Powder Valley. Good looking setup.

Haha, no no. No store
Just getting out of a few other hobbies and trying to make reloading my main hobby. So just preparing, especially with how everything is going today
You just don’t know what’s going to happen

But thank you! Everyone for chiming in and helping me plan this out. Still not done, will post more as I get more done

makeurownfun
01-19-2022, 02:30 PM
Latest Inline Fabrication order finally arrived. Got the bullet trays mounted and setup my APP press on the 7.5” mount. It’s going to be used for sizing bullets only. I think I’m almost ready to setup the Dillon on the right for some 223 loading. Never used a Dillon before (honest 🤣)

Ready to get this room cleaned up and straightened. It’s also about time to start casting some 458 bullets!

makeurownfun
03-02-2022, 12:56 PM
No updates sadly. Have been out of town working. Was able to source 300+ pieces of once fired 6.5 Creedmoor brass. Never thought I would be buying brass, but picking it up a couple at a time from the range is taking forever.

Hope to have some updates soon now, have to clean it all up now

makeurownfun
03-05-2022, 01:20 AM
I saw your post about 3D printers and making bullet feeders. I was trying to get a picture of my printer. I bought one about 3 years ago, mainly for reloading goodies. So I will have some questions about the feeders for sure! At least I’m pretty sure it was a post by you, but it seems to be gone now :/

GWS
03-05-2022, 03:01 PM
I decided it was off topic, so deleted it. I'm not wanting to step on toes. But really glad to help anywhere I can.

With your 210mmX210mm printing bed you are limited to only the small Ammo Mike style of bullet collator. The Ender 3's are 220mm x220mm x250mm and will barely print TylerR's bigger collator. But your's still great for printing most other things. I use a Creality CR10 version 2 which has a 300x300x400 mm bed. It prints the larger 300 collator in TylerR's creations. He also has what he calls a "Mondo" version that requires a printer with a 350mm sq. bed. (as big as Dillon's case collator.)

If you catch the bug, you'll have to evaluate how far you will go....but I wouldn't sell what you got....two is better than one. Iow's to be able to have two prints going at once is better than what I have........they aren't exactly fast at printing.;)

Heres a link to the Castboolits bullet feeder thread. It's only 141 pages long and going. First 50 pages are more on Ammo Mike's small jewel bullet feeder.....the rest got bigger. Last third is on bigger prints and even Lee APP magic.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?354324-Making-that-Bullet-Collator

makeurownfun
03-05-2022, 03:06 PM
Oh I’ve been looking into Creality Enders anyway. I got this one to tinker with to see how I liked it

Are the bullet feeders finicky at all to set up and run consistently? I would like to print a small bullet feeder for my Lee App for bullet sizing

GWS
03-05-2022, 09:05 PM
Oh I’ve been looking into Creality Enders anyway. I got this one to tinker with to see how I liked it

Are the bullet feeders finicky at all to set up and run consistently? I would like to print a small bullet feeder for my Lee App for bullet sizing

The following YouTube video was made by Beetmagnet before I even bought my 3d printer:

https://youtu.be/O8tJx9JCrcU
s
That's an AmmoMike style little one (made by karl Bibbs) getting the workout along with the poor Lee APP getting the worst of it. Man that guy is brutal on such a light press. :)

The collators are reliable once the learning curve finished and the right parts are printed and setup. Lot's of help on the thread too. People there freely give. Ask your questions there and me and smarter people than me will answer.

TylerR's posts all have a link at the bottom where you can download all the parts to print....except AmmoMike's stuff, message me on his.

BTW, the following video is my AmmoMike style loading nose down without a ramp....or two holes.

https://youtu.be/hYQbHhBwRGI

makeurownfun
03-09-2022, 11:23 PM
I did pickup 2 sets of these drawer systems from IKEA as the dimensions fit perfectly under my bench. I did have to remove the 1/2” plywood from the bottom and add a few 2x4s under the drawers, and cut the plywood out from under it, but it fits great. Just more storage. Going to add the other one somewhere under the bench too.

And I will definitely PM you GWS. I do want to run one for sizing bullets on my APP. It’s the only reason I bought it lol. Plan to run it with my NOE push through sizer as well with their adaptor

makeurownfun
07-31-2022, 10:16 PM
Little update. Trying to figure out the best placement and spacing for my other 3 mounts. The Lee App will probably stay on the 7” elevated base for sizing bullets