PDA

View Full Version : Little globes of fire!!!

rockrat
10-14-2021, 07:46 PM
Finally got some Habanero peppers from the wife's garden. Only two plants and most of them came from just one plant. Plan on drying them and grinding them up, but might have to slice part of one and "test" its "heat".

Thumbcocker
10-14-2021, 08:06 PM
You are a braver man than I Ganga Din

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Butzbach
10-14-2021, 08:09 PM
Finally got some Habanero peppers from the wife's garden. Only two plants and most of them came from just one plant. Plan on drying them and grinding them up, but might have to slice part of one and "test" its "heat".

Yikes! My Marano pepper plant is like that now. It didn’t’ do well all spring and summer but is coming on strong now. Lots of peppers but not huge. Sr. Jalapeño has a few but they are small. Sr. Poblano also has a few but half the size of the summer harvest. I look forward to the results of your taste test.

Finster101
10-14-2021, 08:14 PM
A Turkish friend of mine would eat pickled habanero's out of the jar like candy. He was surprised and amazed that I could too after I tied them. Not what he was expecting I think.

Nazgul
10-14-2021, 08:30 PM
Ours are coming on now, later than I though they would.

I make my own hot sauce, use 8 different peppers. They all go into a salt water bath and get fermented for 2 weeks. Then cooked for 4 hours and blended. I adjust the heat with vinegar, pineapple and tomatoes from the garden. Strain and bottle. the family loves it.

Don

45workhorse
10-14-2021, 09:25 PM
Half one dried and cut up and cooked in some plain white rice, mighty good! Could only use half one, too hot for the better half!

Walks
10-14-2021, 11:01 PM
You are a braver man than I Ganga Din

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It's "Gunga" Din,
Or so spelled Rudyard Kipling.

Thumbcocker
10-15-2021, 10:57 AM
It's "Gunga" Din,
Or so spelled Rudyard Kipling.
Spell check hates me.

hporter
10-15-2021, 11:39 AM
Plan on drying them and grinding them up

They dry very well. I did this batch back in early summer. I put them in my food dehydrator until they were crisp, then crushed them with a mortar and pestle.

A little dab will do you. I normally just fetch out whatever will stay on the tines of a dinner fork and sprinkle that on my food.

Our pepper season is in the dormant stage, the Texas heat has beaten them back. But our habanero plants produced a huge amount of peppers this year. I have pickled some, and we put most of them in the freezer in gallon zip lock bags. The wife uses a couple each week in her bone broth and various soups she makes in the instant pot. This was the first time I have ever froze them - the frozen peppers turned out well for what we use them for.

MaryB
10-15-2021, 01:36 PM
I use dried Habs in my nuclear grade chili powder...

green mountain boy
10-15-2021, 01:57 PM
my head started sweating just reading this post !! YOU ROCKRAT ARE A SAVAGE !!

farmbif
10-15-2021, 02:04 PM
I alway thought Gunga Din was an Indian water carrier who aided British soldier
Gunga Din the water boy

fiberoptik
10-15-2021, 10:35 PM
Had a friend in Michigan who grew lots of hot peppers [emoji892]. He would dehydrate and pulverize in the blender and put it in a salt shaker. Good stuff! I had some in one over a year covered with plastic wrap and found it full of weevils! Didn’t know they were Mexican!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Butzbach
10-16-2021, 03:40 AM
I alway thought Gunga Din was an Indian water carrier who aided British soldier
Gunga Din the water boy

’E carried me away
To where a dooli lay,
An’ a bullet come an’ drilled the beggar clean.
’E put me safe inside,
An’ just before ’e died,
'I ’ope you liked your drink,’ sez Gunga Din.
So I’ll meet ’im later on
At the place where ’e is gone—
Where it’s always double drill and no canteen.
’E’ll be squattin’ on the coals
Givin’ drink to poor damned souls,
An’ I’ll get a swig in hell from Gunga Din!
Yes, Din! Din! Din!
You Lazarushian-leather Gunga Din!
Though I’ve belted you and flayed you,
By the livin’ Gawd that made you,
You’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

rockrat
10-16-2021, 10:44 AM
I carry a jar of powdered Habanero in all our vehicles and my Harley!! I really like to sprinkle it on Pizza!!! Our HOG chapter wanted to change my road name to "cast iron" for the hot stuff I eat. They were brave enough to try a sample of the pizza I was eating--ONE TIME ONLY. Boy, did their faces turn red and they started sweating!!!
I like Ghost Pepper salsa now and then, but above that its too much heat. I like flavor with the heat and I draw the line when the heat outpowers the flavor.

fiberoptik
10-16-2021, 12:20 PM
I find habaneros hot, but not very tasty. I like chile de arbol or chile pequin for heat and taste. Like chipotles for flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BJK
10-16-2021, 01:20 PM
I never had dried habaneros but fresh they have a fantastic flavor. Slice thin with a razor knife.

I'm salivating at the thought.

shootinfox2
10-16-2021, 05:54 PM
Grown, dried, ground, and eaten.

Also grow Reapers and Ghost.