PDA

View Full Version : Can you use a Belding & Mull for black powder?

mikenbarb
01-12-2009, 01:49 PM
I have a few Belding & Mull powder drops and im wondering if they can be used for black powder? I would like to designate one exclusivly for BP if possible but cant find any info if their ok for it or not. Thanks in advance, Mike

wiljen
01-12-2009, 03:16 PM
I would think the old brass&Glass model should be alright. Brass is non-sparking and it shouldn't build static like plastic can.

KCSO
01-13-2009, 12:24 PM
They work just fine.

Steve
01-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Yes I have one that I sent in to have rebuilt and changed the 1/4 Lb reservoir to a 1 Lb
for BP. You can also order longer charge tubes if you need them. I have their PA. address around here someplace If you need it . Buffalo Arms also used to stock some parts. You can use it as is. Steve

JeffinNZ
01-13-2009, 04:51 PM
The BP static issue has been debunked as a myth. Basically the static if it actually existed just does not have enough "omph" to set off black powder. Swiss is shipped in plastic bottles after all.

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/sparks/sparks.html

13Echo
01-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Any model B&M will work just fine for Black powder as will most powder measures on the market. As Jeff said the static issue is a non-issue. I've even used the all plastic Lee Perfect measure with no problems. Currently I'm using the MVA version of the B&M for black powder and it is a very nice measure. I think it will accept the same measuring tubes as the B&M.

Jerry Liles

mikenbarb
01-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Jeff, I have seen 2 RCBS powder measures that caught fire and ruined because someone used BP in them and it does matter what type of material its made of and I just want to be on the safe side because my kids are reloading with me sometimes. I know the B&M I want to use is from the 50's and not many companies listed them with that type of info but knowing its got the steel parts and aluminum slide got me concerned with BP use. Thanks everyone and im gonna see how it works.:-D
Steve, I have a aftermarket 150gr BP adjustable tube that fits it. Alot of aftermarket brass BP tubes will insert into it and bottom out so it charges properly. I think mine is a Traditions that fits it good and alot cheaper than others made just for B&M's. I also have 2 others for this one that are original B&M's including a micrometer magnum one.

JeffinNZ
01-14-2009, 09:07 PM
Mike; were the owners of the measures smokers per chance?

scrapcan
01-14-2009, 11:33 PM
Steve,

I sent you a pm. I am very interested in the address you have for B&M. Is this teh revied company that started up to make the measures that Buffalo arms sold a few years ago?

Steve
01-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Mnaleyjt

PM Sent Good luck on your research.

mikenbarb
01-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Manley, I spoke to the new owner of B&M about 2-3 months ago and he said that they were considering making them after the war stops because they supply some stuff thats consuming all their time. That would be great to see them being made again.
Jeff, They werent smokers. They somehow had a static charge ignite the BP in the measure and burnt them up. They were toasted pretty bad but didnt melt the powder hopper that was pretty amazing. I will see if I can find the pics again and post them.

mazo kid
01-27-2009, 02:25 AM
Steve, I have a aftermarket 150gr BP adjustable tube that fits it. Alot of aftermarket brass BP tubes will insert into it and bottom out so it charges properly. I think mine is a Traditions that fits it good and alot cheaper than others made just for B&M's. I also have 2 others for this one that are original B&M's including a micrometer magnum one.
I had purchased a drop tube listed as a B&M from a guy and when it came, it was just a black powder measure. It works fine, though not as high tech as my micrometer adjustable ones.