PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for Gas Check Maker

RufusBuck
10-14-2021, 01:47 PM
I have searched the internet for gas checks for 30 cal. boolits but cannot find any in stock [smilie=b:. The gas checks will be used with boolits cast from Lee 312 155 mold, and others as I add to my collection. I have given up on finding gas checks so now I'm in search of a GC maker for 30 Cal. I am asking for real life experience from those who own and use GC makers and their recommendations so that I can purchase my own.

almar
10-14-2021, 02:20 PM
I like mine from pat marlins. Does the job.

bob15
10-14-2021, 03:57 PM
If you buy from patmarlin, buyer beware that there is currently a backorder (of at least 8 months) and he doesn't give refunds, nor does he tell you where you stand in regards to your order.

There are other options out there........

BamaNapper
10-14-2021, 05:50 PM
I was looking for some online last night.

https://www.sagesoutdoors.com/30-7-62-mm-caliber-017-copper-gas-checks/

I just checked and they have them in stock (copper). $25/1000 At least their site says they have them in stock.

GBertolet
10-14-2021, 07:08 PM
Just ordered some from Sages, this week. 30 cal .017 thick copper. Same thickness as my Hornadys measure. Their on the way USPS. Almost half the price of the unavailable Hornadys. Now I will find out how good they are. If they are decent, Sages will have a regular customer.

RufusBuck
10-15-2021, 02:23 PM
I guess I was too last. Sage says not available.

Duckdog
10-16-2021, 08:08 AM
I think there's someone on facebook selling a one stroke gas check maker. Do a search and you should be able to find it.

sparky45
10-16-2021, 10:20 AM
If you buy from patmarlin, buyer beware that there is currently a backorder (of at least 8 months) and he doesn't give refunds, nor does he tell you where you stand in regards to your order.

Heed Bob's message.

dogrunner
10-16-2021, 12:50 PM
Sharpshooter is selling check makers, but only in a couple of pistol calibers last I looked.

Will say this, I ordered a percussion cap maker from them and got it in five days..........quality is great and it works as described.

crandall crank
10-16-2021, 10:24 PM
I have several sets of GC makers that were made using the plans provided by Idz. All work great and utilize inexpensive aluminum flashing coil stock. You might just want to consider making/having a set(s) made,

almar
10-16-2021, 10:31 PM
Sharpshooter is selling check makers, but only in a couple of pistol calibers last I looked.

Will say this, I ordered a percussion cap maker from them and got it in five days..........quality is great and it works as described.

yeah...but the 45 gas check maker needed some touching up on my lathe, I ordered one but by the time I got it I had already made one for an experiment with "high walled" gas checks. Maybe I was the unlucky one. Im going to making my own from now on. Its a "boring" job on the lathe.

DaveyDug
10-17-2021, 07:35 AM

I'd love to hear more about those other options for a .30 cal check maker. I need one too.

Duckdog
10-17-2021, 07:57 AM
Here's the web site for another manufacturer. A few threads below also has some photos. https://www.mattesonsmachineshop.com/shop/

MrWolf
10-17-2021, 08:10 AM
Here is a discussion thread that I believe included the Matteson machine referenced above and plans to make one. Good

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?427978-Options-for-Check-Maker

Retumbo
10-22-2021, 12:58 PM
Anything that is a single stroke

Woodcarver
10-24-2021, 08:55 PM
Here's the web site for another manufacturer. A few threads below also has some photos. https://www.mattesonsmachineshop.com/shop/

+1

He did have a backlog earlier this year. Think it took 3-4 months to get mine. Work great. Very reasonable cost.

markmars
01-05-2022, 04:28 PM
Went ahead and ordered one in .308. .223 was out of stock.

RogerDat
01-05-2022, 04:50 PM
Pat Marlins are good but he is a one man show, not a lot of free time to spend answering emails on "when will mine be done". I like his for the fact they were made to fit a O press and I have one of those already on the bench. The one stroke ones available at the time required a $60 Arbor Press from Harbor Freight. Not a big spend but bench didn't have another open spot, and to be honest the shelves were getting a little crowded too.

If you decide to cut your own strips from aluminum flashing be sure to get a soft aluminum. There is info on Pat Marlins site on what you can use from Ace Hardware and what to avoid at big box home improvement stores.

You will probably also want a paper cutter. These can cut through aluminum easily and allow setting a stop on the bench to do repeated cuts of strips in the right width. I got a cutter from Harbor Freight. It was pretty cheap. Used some wood blocks to locate it on a bench. Then screwed down a stop to slide the flashing to for cut off.

Unless one sets up with single stroke check maker and possibly air driven, as well as having the aluminum split into strips the length of the roll so you can have a continuous feed it is a lot of time and work to make gas checks. Little fiddly things that I find I would much rather buy IF and WHEN they are available!

Check maker is for me an insurance policy. Instead of having to stock checks like primers by the thousands I'm able to make my own when circumstances require it. I put up with the slow production and my always dropping the things because it provides me some independence. I would still pay for them before making them unless prices were higher or what I need isn't available. Making checks is what can make trimming brass seem like a rocking good time.

Be aware punching aluminum with a check maker can really shake a small bench. Take that into account when planning where to work.

Bfb
01-06-2022, 01:25 PM
After my shoulder surgery I found the lee hand press lightly clamped in vice upside down and a light rap on hand lever popped them right out with way less shaking and stress, bonus as well is checks fell right into container I put underneath. Used regular press then for setting/sizing.

Petander
01-08-2022, 09:59 AM
Check maker is for me an insurance policy. Instead of having to stock checks like primers by the thousands I'm able to make my own when circumstances require it. I put up with the slow production and my always dropping the things because it provides me some independence. I would still pay for them before making them unless prices were higher or what I need isn't available. Making checks is what can make trimming brass seem like a rocking good time.

Be aware punching aluminum with a check maker can really shake a small bench. Take that into account when planning where to work.

Yep,copper is even harder.

I got 30 and 44 makers. The whole room shakes and things fall from the shelves, I also broke a CH press right away. I'm thinking makers as emergency tools, I have a Rock Chucker and Redding Big Boss... I'm sacrificing Rock Chucker for checks now. It will loosen up very soon with all that force needed.

But I'm getting the best checks with a bit thicker copper...

longbow
01-08-2022, 03:50 PM
That's the reason I went with the Ed Smith single stroke check maker. It can be used with a press, a mallet or arbor press. So far I am using a mallet to make checks from ~ 0.019" old aluminum gutter. I made the check maker to suit 0.014" material so I knew I would be drawing deeper cups and figured it would be hard on a press so decided to go with the mallet for now and maybe buy an arbor press later.

So far I have made check makers for .30 cal. and .44 cal., both work well.

The IDZ design is also a good one but is for press only unless the design is altered.

Both these are "Do it yourself" or hire a machinist though. Complete plans for both are on this site so no problem there, just how you get it made is an issue if you don't have a lathe or don't know anyone with a lathe who will make one for you. If there is enough interest maybe a group buy would get some made?

Longbow

Fitz
01-08-2022, 04:13 PM
I have three from Pat Marlins only one of the three cut a smooth disk the other two aren't worth the money and waited over 8 months to get them .would not buy another from him , his customer service sucks as well . buyer beware

markmars
01-10-2022, 09:47 AM
I got an update on my order from Pat Marlins ,22 and .30 gas check maker is suppose to be here tomorrow. I ordered a .30 cal gas check maker from Mattersons last week. Looking forward to making gas checks.

dogrunner
01-10-2022, 10:49 AM
I got an update on my order from Pat Marlins ,22 and .30 gas check maker is suppose to be here tomorrow. I ordered a .30 cal gas check maker from Mattersons last week. Looking forward to making gas checks.

Curious 'bout how long it took.......had a .30 on order since 01 August.......??

DME72
01-10-2022, 08:02 PM
i have built 4 check makers. all ed smith design single stroke.built a 22 caliber, 243, 270, and 30 caliber check makers. i make mine so the check is a snug fit on the shank of the bullet.

markmars
01-12-2022, 05:33 PM
Curious 'bout how long it took.......had a .30 on order since 01 August.......??

March of last year USPS still has mine and states there is a delay.

Retumbo
01-13-2022, 04:39 PM
I have three from Pat Marlins only one of the three cut a smooth disk the other two aren't worth the money and waited over 8 months to get them .would not buy another from him , his customer service sucks as well . buyer beware

yup

dogrunner
01-16-2022, 10:22 AM
March of last year USPS still has mine and states there is a delay.

Well I got my shipping notice from PM yesterday........five and a half months to the day from the order date!..............I'll post on how it turned out.

Harles Dawson
01-22-2022, 02:28 PM
I have searched the internet for gas checks for 30 cal. boolits but cannot find any in stock [smilie=b:. The gas checks will be used with boolits cast from Lee 312 155 mold, and others as I add to my collection. I have given up on finding gas checks so now I'm in search of a GC maker for 30 Cal. I am asking for real life experience from those who own and use GC makers and their recommendations so that I can purchase my own.
I’ve found gas checks available at Sage’s outdoors every time I’ve looked. Both copper and aluminum. I’m still gonna get checkmakers for the calibers I use, just in case. Harles
Just refreshed my memory! Check out, Mattesons gas check maker. Haven’t tried him yet, but I plan to soon. Harles