PDA

View Full Version : finding cheap used truck -not so easy

farmbif
10-13-2021, 01:56 PM
trying to find an inexpensive used truck to get me through till insurance company figures things out is turning into a real challenge.
this dang wreck I was is in is just a nightmare that won't end. seems I might have to get a lawyer to set things right for me. the first thing the insurance company asked me.-- do you have a lawyer-- saying in a fashion that I took to mean id be a fool not to have one protecting my rights.
the insurance basically told me they will get around to things when they can, I think I got the message, loud and clear. they said they can't do anything till they speak to the person that caused the wreck, and nobody seems to know where he is. probably hiding out along with that laundrie guy.
and laying out a whole bunch of money on a rental seems like a fools errand. so I been scouring sources for even a 20 yr old truck to give me something to drive in the mean time and prices are crazy. even the new chevy 3/4 ton trucks they advertise for like about $35.000 you cannot actually find one like that, the way I like em with 4wd and no other frills. the cheapest one I can find new is $42,000.
but even finding an old beater for $2500-$5000 seems impossible . there's one on a govt auction that needs some work I've got my eye on but there's no telling how high the auction will go.
any suggestions?

Ickisrulz
10-13-2021, 02:21 PM
It would seem this is the worst time to buy a new or lightly used pickup. There aren't enough available to keep up with demand. This is most likely filtering down into the older used market.

Maybe in a few months when gas is $5+/gallon people will start letting those older trucks go for less money.

zarrinvz24
10-13-2021, 02:34 PM
This is a very bad time to buy anything. My advice would be to avoid the Govt auctions if you need something to be dependable. Sure they are maintained per schedule, but we beat the ever living snot out of those things. Best case would be to keep your eyes on Facebook marketplace, but the days of a $500 car to get you by are over.

Finster101
10-13-2021, 02:36 PM
The truck market is very hot right now because the construction market is busy. Add to that the chip shortage putting new trucks in small supply and that is not going to change any time soon. The Chevy/GMC dealership I just retired from can hardly keep any new or used trucks on the lot and that is with todays premium prices too.

No_1
10-13-2021, 02:36 PM
The lack of new vehicles has driven the price of used vehicles shy high. I wish you luck in your quest.

3584ELK
10-13-2021, 02:38 PM
Have you looked into online or farm auctions in your area?

Sounds like you need to hire a lawyer and start threatening the insurance company to get them off the stick.

zarrinvz24
10-13-2021, 02:41 PM
I think the electric vehicle experiment is looming as well. Will electric vehicles have the performance or longevity of today’s used trucks? Highly doubtful.

Winger Ed.
10-13-2021, 02:55 PM
For some insurance companies: Once you file a claim, the race is on for how bad they'll screw ya.

Get a lawyer. Look for one with a nickname like 'pitbull'.

Insurance claims almost never go to court. The ins. company defense teams can't ever find 12 people
to sit on a jury that haven't been screwed by an insurance company---- and might be looking for a little payback.
(me included)

dverna
10-13-2021, 02:57 PM
I saw an article that prices are up 25-35% from last year for used trucks.

I would try Carfax. My buddy got a decent deal on a used truck about two months ago.

Just did a search near me and found this:

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/1FTPX14506FA79357

Handloader109
10-13-2021, 02:58 PM
So, I didn't go back and look up your wreck post, but I'm assuming you were the one hit and other driver is at fault.
If so, AND you weren't hurt/or looking for the OP to pay for your injuries and all you want is a replacement truck, I would advise you to have YOUR insurance company pay for the totalled vehicle. Let your insurance company search him out and try and get any money THEY can get from him. I had a wreck back in the 80s, and so did my wife a few years ago. It was a WASTE OF TIME for me to try and get the OP's insurance company to do anything and they low balled me the first time. Tell your insurance rep to get their checkbook out and write YOU a check. And for sure, look up what the Kelly blue book value on the truck is. And then see if you can find a truck the same age and miles that is for sale. The Value of that truck should be what they pay you for your wrecked truck. NOT what they want to pay.
Waiting on the OP's insurance is a struggle in self control. Just don't

Ickisrulz
10-13-2021, 03:38 PM
So, I didn't go back and look up your wreck post, but I'm assuming you were the one hit and other driver is at fault.
If so, AND you weren't hurt/or looking for the OP to pay for your injuries and all you want is a replacement truck, I would advise you to have YOUR insurance company pay for the totalled vehicle. Let your insurance company search him out and try and get any money THEY can get from him. I had a wreck back in the 80s, and so did my wife a few years ago. It was a WASTE OF TIME for me to try and get the OP's insurance company to do anything and they low balled me the first time. Tell your insurance rep to get their checkbook out and write YOU a check. And for sure, look up what the Kelly blue book value on the truck is. And then see if you can find a truck the same age and miles that is for sale. The Value of that truck should be what they pay you for your wrecked truck. NOT what they want to pay.
Waiting on the OP's insurance is a struggle in self control. Just don't

I agree, work through your insurance company (assuming you have full coverage). My wife and I were hit (rear-ended at a stop sign in a snow storm) in our brand new car back in 1995 by an Airman driving a government vehicle. The USAF was very difficult to deal with and we eventually left it up to our insurance company to pay for the repair and get reimbursed by the government, which they did.

country gent
10-13-2021, 03:54 PM
Since you were not at fault the rental should be part of the settlement,but rental trucks are harder to find also. You are well instructed to get a reputable lawyer. Keep in mind they also pay for the inconvenience (pain and suffering) along with damages. Some of this comes from the collision side of the policy some from the comprehensive side. A good lawyer knows this and how to work them.

Shawlerbrook
10-13-2021, 03:56 PM
Bad time to buy anything.

M-Tecs
10-13-2021, 04:01 PM
In this area used trucks are up 45% and new trucks under $80,000 most due to the chip shortage. One storage area has 11,000 Ford trucks awaiting chips.

Gator 45/70
10-13-2021, 05:45 PM
My neighbor went to the dealership the other day wanting to trade in his 1 ton dually ford for a smaller truck to run around town in.
He has 23K on it, The dealership offered him 3K more for it than he paid initially ?
I see he must of made a deal, It's gone and looks like an F-250 took its place

reddog81
10-13-2021, 05:53 PM
Good luck finding something. $5,000 is about the cutoff nowadays for something that'll most likely last at least a few years. I'm tempted to sell my old Chevy Astro because the value has jumped so much in the last year. I could almost double my money on a well used van I've had since 2007!

You should be OK with getting a rental if things start to drag on, but be extra careful because those prices have jumped exponentially. What used to be a $40 per day rental can now be a $400+ per day rental. Getting stuck with that bill would suck and you know the insurance companies will be fighting those bills if they can.

rockrat
10-13-2021, 05:57 PM
Overheard someone in McDonalds telling another guy he sold his Dodge Ram Diesel. 3 years old and 28K miles. Dealer offered him $8,500 over what he paid for it three years ago.
Was at the dealers the other day and a salesman asked if I wanted to sell my Duramax, they would buy it right now! Told them not for sale. I would just have to buy another one that they don't have.

M-Tecs
10-13-2021, 06:27 PM
In this area for a 4x4ful size ten year old truck with 200,000 miles the going rate is $30,000 to $35,000.

megasupermagnum
10-13-2021, 09:14 PM
In this area for a 4x4ful size ten year old truck with 200,000 miles the going rate is $30,000 to $35,000.

Isn't it nuts? I thought things were bad in the Obama years, but this is insane. I was watching prices come down for a few years hoping they would get back to normal, but apparently 2019 was as normal as we were going to get. Not that long ago I saw a mid 2000's F150 that someone had rolled. The cab was completely smashed in, windows gone, truck was toast. Time to go to the junk yard? Nope, guy had it for sale for $10,000!!!

It's gotten to the point where buying used trucks isn't even worth it. Cars can be had for stomachable prices, but not trucks. They are hard to get, but you can get at least a new truck of some kind for what people are asking for 10 year old used trucks. I've got a 1993 in pieces. It's time to build it this winter finally, and it will be better than this outright trash people are trying to sell. To think that a measly 10 years ago you could buy a beater truck for $1000. I bought my current truck for about that, about 10 years ago, I still have it, and it still runs. Today, I couldn't buy the same thing for $10,000. 45%? No way, used truck inflation is WAY more than that.

Hogtamer
10-13-2021, 10:45 PM
Finding a high priced new one ain’t a sure thing anymore.

GregLaROCHE
10-14-2021, 03:18 AM
Unless you really need a pickup, I would look for a used car to drive temporarily. They should be a lot cheaper and it’s only temporary. You probably need a lawyer to tell you what you are entitled to. Maybe you can keep renting a car until things get straightened out and it will be all paid for.

trapper9260
10-14-2021, 04:58 AM
I just went through about the accident I got in with my pickup and needed another one and one of my sisters help me to look on line and gave me some links and then I had a friend look at was out there when I forward him the links and told me what he thinks since he knows more about it then I do and the time the insurance check clear the bank , I had 2 left to work on for what I was looking for and I went to the one closer and got them down on the price that for what the insurance gave me for the one I had the accident with I used that all and just needed to come up with just $6 and change. I drove it home. It is a hard market out there . When you do go to get one have another place as a back up to go to that is less money and then you can work on to bring them down . I did that and got it to work for me. As for the price of new pick up you can buy a house for that price. I am glad my it is over on this now . I need a pick up . 4x4 . That is why I did what I did. Do not give up and check on line for the search . Hope you find something that will work for you like I did . I know it is not easy.

Lloyd Smale
10-14-2021, 06:24 AM
my 2020 ram had to go in for a check engine light. The dealer called the day before and said they would gladly give me a quote and one id really like if i wanted to sell or trade. Told him if he had or could get a ram rebel id think on it. He laughed and said good luck. He told me though if i wanted to sell it and wait he could give me pretty much what i bought it for with 30k on it. He said they cant get trucks PERIOD. I had to pass.

Battis
10-14-2021, 06:51 AM
I have a 1998 Chevy S10 pickup - 4 cylinder, 4 speed - with 98,000 miles on it. It needs work. Anyways, thanks to the MA Lemon Law, if I sell it privately, and it doesn't pass inspection, I can be liable for the work needed, or I might even have to take it back. That's IF the buyer can prove that I was aware of the work needed. It's a messy, cluster of a situation. I'm not sure if I can sell it "as is." The local junk yard will give me under $200 for it because it's so light.
So there it sits. Starts every time. I hate to junk it. I might put some money in it and just drive it.

HATCH
10-14-2021, 07:01 AM
GOV auctions may have vehicles that are low miles for their age but you have to be very careful.
I work for the DOD on a military base.
We have vehicles that have low miles but have high engine hours.
2016 17k miles 5500 engine hrs for example.

We have a 15 pass Ford E350 with 76k miles.
They is 76k miles with the average trip being 3 miles at 20 mph.

Shop around

GasGuzzler
10-14-2021, 07:39 AM
A coworker looked at a 2005 3500 with 220K miles for asking price $18K.
The dealership I work at was giving mid $50K's for '17 and newer Duramax's with less than 100K miles.
We used to keep 200 or so new vehicles and at one point in September we had 11. We are small town yet sell about 100 per month when there is inventory.
My 2007 Sierra is worth more than I paid for it used in 2014, 70K miles later.
Glad I got my two oldest kids their vehicles right before this.

dverna
10-14-2021, 10:31 AM
And it will not get better. The push for electric vehicles will drive the price of gassers up. Nearly everyone in my rural area has a pickup truck. Not many charging stations in the middle of nowhere.

Five years ago I bought a 2001 Ram with plow for $3500. A 2006 plow truck today is $7500.

Budzilla 19
10-14-2021, 10:55 AM
Had my ‘18 Ram Diesel 4x4 at the dealership for an oil change, 40k on the odometer, I went to leave, guy walks up and offers me $55k for the truck!! I don’t know if he was serious or not, as I politely refused his offer and drove off. Neighbor down the road traded her 2018 Ford F 150 in, got, according to her, $6000 more than she paid for it! Bought a 2021, cause they had one on the lot, and said she got 0% interest. Crazy!! Good luck in finding a used truck, other than a basket case,for any kind of cheap money. And pre-emission diesels? If they are in any kind of shape, gold prices!!! I have had more old dodge diesels in my shop in the last 6 months than ever before!

waksupi
10-14-2021, 12:15 PM
Check your local Craigslist. I've found reasonable, well maintained vehicles there. You might check for government auctions in your area, too. I got a Bureau of Land Management 2010 Ram at a good price. Government vehicles are on a regular schedule for maintenance. I've had two now, and both were very nice.

MaryB
10-14-2021, 01:12 PM
A lawyer will get 25% of any money you get... but it might be the only way to get them to pay up. When I had my car accident the kid who was 100% at fault had a really shady insurance company and they tried all kinds of crap to avoid paying. Judge finally tacked on an extra 25% for malfeasance and they coughed it up or the insurance company prez was going to jail.

I sold my almost dead rust bucket 2001 F-150 for $1200. It needed a new intake(5.4 Triton cracked intake syndrome) and new plugs(have fun, 151k miles and corroded in the heads). Guy who bought it needed a work beater truck for going into farm fields to work on equipment for farmers. Mine was only 2wd and he still wanted it, only truck he could find that was cheap. Rest were $10k+++ for 20 year old rusted out MN trucks, rust free out of state trucks $20k+++

Froogal
10-14-2021, 01:33 PM
I own a 2001 K3500 dually. 68,000 miles. I do NOT need a one ton dually anymore, but I do still need a pickup truck. I would sell the one ton and buy something I want, but there is nothing to be found at a decent price.

dkonrai
10-14-2021, 03:08 PM
Had my ‘18 Ram Diesel 4x4 at the dealership for an oil change, 40k on the odometer, I went to leave, guy walks up and offers me $55k for the truck!! I don’t know if he was serious or not, as I politely refused his offer and drove off. Neighbor down the road traded her 2018 Ford F 150 in, got, according to her, $6000 more than she paid for it! Bought a 2021, cause they had one on the lot, and said she got 0% interest. Crazy!! Good luck in finding a used truck, other than a basket case,for any kind of cheap money. And pre-emission diesels? If they are in any kind of shape, gold prices!!! I have had more old dodge diesels in my shop in the last 6 months than ever before!So pre emissions diesels are worth alot?
Why are so many old trucks in your shop? Broken down or servicing?
I paid 17,500 for my 99, 24v, 98k, garaged two months ago.

Sent from my T790W using Tapatalk

imashooter2
10-14-2021, 07:03 PM
Since you were not at fault the rental should be part of the settlement,but rental trucks are harder to find also. You are well instructed to get a reputable lawyer. Keep in mind they also pay for the inconvenience (pain and suffering) along with damages. Some of this comes from the collision side of the policy some from the comprehensive side. A good lawyer knows this and how to work them.

As I understand the situation, the person that hit the OP is unable to be found. The OPs company should pay for his truck immediately minus the deductible. The OPs company won’t pay for a rental unless he has rental coverage. He could recover rental costs from the person that hit him depending on finding them, them having insurance and their insurance company agreeing that a rental was required. Even then, they would only pay for the bare bones base rental available. Lose a Raptor? Tough. Rent a Fiesta.

That’s unfair you say? Yes it is. Get a lawyer and sue if you can find one that will work for less than the money you are screwed out of.

megasupermagnum
10-14-2021, 07:22 PM
So pre emissions diesels are worth alot?

Why wouldn't the be? None of the choked down emissions junk. Less to worry about if you are in a testing state. Diesel anything is worth a ton. You paid $17,500 for a 1999 truck. That should say it all right there.

HATCH
10-14-2021, 07:45 PM
one more thing to toss out there.
GSA changes oils 12 months or 7500 miles.

Yep, went to have three vehicles dispatched today (its done monthly). And inquired about oil changes.
So regardless of how its driven or how many engine hours, its 12 months or 7500 miles. And its not even synthetic oil.

I have a 2011 Sentra that I paid fair market price in the spring. $3500
I was offered twice that to sell it to a guy that walked up to me at a car wash that I regularly attend.
I passed on the offer as I didn't think I could replace it for $7000 with something just as reliable.
I drive 60 miles a day and that vehicle has been decent with around 30 mpg average.

My suggestion is start looking in people's drive ways. You might be surprised.

Purchased a 2005 Prius. Had 230K miles.
The inside was dirty and the roof was rusty.
Bought it for $300
Yes three hundred.
Hybrid battery was 5 years old.
12v battery was dead but less then a year old.
AC needed a recharge.

Spent $40 on a guy who detailed the inside.
$250 on a guy that sanded and painted the roof.
Spent $50 on a recharge kit. AC took 8 ozs and was ICE cold.
$300 on a multi-function display
Charged up the 12v with a trickle charge. Tested out fine.

Sold the original Cat and had a replacement installed. Drove away with $1000 extra in my pocket after the switch.

Drove it to work for a couple weeks. Didn't like it.

Sold it for $3000
When it was all said and done, I had a $3100 profit when you factor in a months car insurance, tag and registration.

BTW hybrid cars in SC cost a extra $160 a year to register. Who knew?

frkelly74
10-14-2021, 07:48 PM
I have a nice little 2009 Hyundai with a trailer hitch on it. I can haul 1000 lbs to the scrap yard and it has helped us move to Florida and back to Michigan and made weekly trips here and there. License plates are permanent on it and I bought the plate in 92 or 94 and it is covered on the insurance at no extra cost. A truck is nice,,,, a trailer is way cheaper and does most of what I need done. It might take a couple of trips but it gets it done.

Finster101
10-14-2021, 08:20 PM
So pre emissions diesels are worth alot?

Just to venture a guess. It's worthwhile to put a fair amount of money in to truck now rather than try to replace it. If you can find a replacement. Before this mess a lot of folks would just trade it rather than fix it.

Lloyd Smale
10-15-2021, 06:49 AM
I have a nice little 2009 Hyundai with a trailer hitch on it. I can haul 1000 lbs to the scrap yard and it has helped us move to Florida and back to Michigan and made weekly trips here and there. License plates are permanent on it and I bought the plate in 92 or 94 and it is covered on the insurance at no extra cost. A truck is nice,,,, a trailer is way cheaper and does most of what I need done. It might take a couple of trips but it gets it done.

how do you get a lifetime MI plate and how do you get free insurance? Only lifetime plates ive heard of are disabled vet plates.

frkelly74
10-15-2021, 07:39 AM
Trailer plate is permanent. Trailer is insured when it's hooked up to the insured car. No free lunch on the car itself.

lightman
10-15-2021, 11:42 AM
Right now is going to be a bad time trying to find a good used vehicle. A dealer has offered me something in the high 20K range for my 2012 Super Duty with 100,000K on it. Crazy!

Lloyd Smale
10-15-2021, 12:09 PM
Trailer plate is permanent. Trailer is insured when it's hooked up to the insured car. No free lunch on the car itself.

my mistake. the way you worded it it sounded like you had a free plate and insurance on the car.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-15-2021, 12:45 PM
Five months ago, I sold my 21 yr old Chevy C2500 pickup, std cab, 8' box, 5.7ltr, that had minimal rust and fairly low miles for it's age, for $3700, to a happy water melon farmer. Maybe I under-priced it?

waksupi
10-15-2021, 01:22 PM
how do you get a lifetime MI plate and how do you get free insurance? Only lifetime plates ive heard of are disabled vet plates.

Montana has permanent plates for vehicles over ten years old. Trailer plates are also permanent.

Finster101
10-15-2021, 06:33 PM
Five months ago, I sold my 21 yr old Chevy C2500 pickup, std cab, 8' box, 5.7ltr, that had minimal rust and fairly low miles for it's age, for $3700, to a happy water melon farmer. Maybe I under-priced it?

Oh yeah you did. You should get melons for life and hunting rights.

Texas by God
10-15-2021, 07:28 PM
Five months ago, I sold my 21 yr old Chevy C2500 pickup, std cab, 8' box, 5.7ltr, that had minimal rust and fairly low miles for it's age, for $3700, to a happy water melon farmer. Maybe I under-priced it?I hear you. I just sold my 2008 Silverado 4x4 1500 to the place I've bought tires from for 25 years- $3000 279,000 miles on the original motor with yearly oil changes......

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

megasupermagnum
10-15-2021, 08:00 PM

If I had known you were selling that truck for that price, I'd have taken a day off work, and been there in few hours with cash. You could have got three times that price, but at the same time, you then have to deal with flakes. Nobody screws around when a real deal shows up.

Lloyd Smale
10-16-2021, 05:15 AM
Montana has permanent plates for vehicles over ten years old. Trailer plates are also permanent.

man that would be nice. We do have permanant trailer plates but cars have to be i believe over 25 years old to qualify for an antique plate.

farmbif
10-16-2021, 09:00 AM
I'm looking at a 98 chevy 2500 4x4, 170000 miles, real clean looking, $3500, won't start, has to be either gas pump or filter, cap and rotor or ECM., another option is a ford 2007 f350 dually with 80000miles. $9500, rode hard and hung up wet aint too pretty . problem is I can't hardly get in and out my driveway or to the barns without a tractor or 4x4 if its at all wet. my wrecked truck sure is in limbo, I'm going to try and get local chevy dealer that has a body shop to take a look at my wrecked 2500hd at the impound lot where its was towed to and get me fair evaluation. lesson learned to be sure and have top rate insurance.

beemer
10-16-2021, 09:03 AM
About 10-11 years I got T-boned by a guy without a drivers license driving a borrowed car, the car was insured. The other car was fixed and on the road before they even looked at mine. The insurance co refused to even answer calls, it had been about three weeks since the accident. My wife got the insurance commissioner's name and number and called the insurance rep and left a message. She received a call about very shortly after. The rep was snotty but my wife was MAD, things went downhill fast. I'll leave it at that but things started to happen. A very nice adjuster came the next day, he was a private contractor and knew nothing about the situation. He gave us a fair price for the car and gave extra for our trouble plus paid for the registration for a replacement car. I add a little and bought a used car that I still drive today.

Alstep
10-16-2021, 10:22 AM
A friend ordered a Ford pickup in January, still hasn't gotten it.
My wife got a call from the Honda dealer, they offered her $3000 more than she paid for it 4 years ago.
Older farm tractors in nice shape are going for premium prices. Especially the ones built before all the EPA regs. Try getting parts. All scarce.
Crazy times!

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-16-2021, 10:50 AM
If I had known you were selling that truck for that price, I'd have taken a day off work, and been there in few hours with cash. You could have got three times that price, but at the same time, you then have to deal with flakes. Nobody screws around when a real deal shows up.

Well, three times that price "IF" it had 4x4 and extended cab. I told a bunch of local people about the truck (one is a CB member) Everyone looking at it for $4k passed as soon as they realized it was Std cab and 2x4. And being a 2000 with old body style (Classic), meaning it was a fleet truck with hand crank windows and manual door locks (no FOB) and such didn't help any either...But it sure did run nice and always started on cold frosty Minnesota winter mornings.

Gator 45/70
10-16-2021, 04:21 PM
Lots here for sale mostly GM's for some reason,They seen to out number fords 10 to 1 ?

rockrat
10-16-2021, 04:27 PM
You could try and spray some carb cleaner into the engine and see if it starts. If so, then that might narrow down what is wrong.

samari46
10-16-2021, 11:27 PM
I drove my 2007 GMC Sierra to auto zone to get some filters. Guy comes up and asks if I wanted to sell it. Only has 28,000 miles on it. Told him not interested in selling as it's been paid off for years. Frank

jonp
10-17-2021, 12:11 PM
I just looked at the following in a small dealer.

2016 F350 Laredo
4x4
Crew Cab
6.7 Powerstroke B20 Diesel
White with black interior and clean
142,505 miles
$46,595

I was thinking about it but that seems like alot of miles for the year. I'm really looking for a 3/4 ton diesel to pull a camper.

webfoot10
10-17-2021, 08:00 PM
Hi farmbif, My neighbor passed away and left his daughter his 2012 Chevrolet Silverado
crewcab pickup, It's a 4x4 with 90000 miles on it with tow package. Not sure what that
includes, It's just been inspected and has had the airbag callback fixed at the dealer.
Truck is in nice shape as he only used it for like a car. She has it for sale at $32.000
which I thought was kind of high. I checked at some of the used truck dealers and see
that she is not off on her pricing. At most of the dealers, trucks with 200.000 miles are
selling for 32-35.000 on the lot and they are selling. Seems they can't keep them in
stock. If you think you might be interested shoot me a PM and I'll get you her E-mail
address and you can contact her. I think you could talk her down on the price, The
dealers offered her $25.000. So she might talk. The only catch is she has to wait for
it to go through probate court, hope fully by the end of this month. This truck is in
Rhode Island Not sure where you are located, but might entail some traveling.
webfoot