PDA

View Full Version : Anybody working with the 6mm ARC cartridge?

marlin39a
10-11-2021, 11:03 AM
I came upon some fired brass, marked - Hornady 6mm ARC. I’ve never heard of it before. From what I’ve found, it’s the latest and greatest, for the AR-15. Here’s a link to some info:
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/articles/hornady_6arc.aspx

Finster101
10-11-2021, 11:56 AM
I am really glad you ask this. I have been looking at it too. Quite a few videos if you google it. I was thinking about an AR-10 in .243 but this might change that idea.

rockrat
10-11-2021, 12:49 PM
Kind of between the 6mm PPC and the 6.5 Grendel (which I have, the Grendel, and have no desire for the ARC cartridge)

Mk42gunner
10-11-2021, 01:01 PM
It might be the best round since cartridges were introduced, but if it doesn't gain a large following quickly, it will go the way of the _(insert favorite failed cartridge here).

There have been so many rounds introduced since the late 1990's, several that are virtually indistinguishable ballistically that have already been dropped from production. WSM and RSAUM come to mind. I know they aren't AR type cartridges, but there have been several for the AR too.

I would only buy a rifle chambered for a brand new(ish) cartridge if I could get a large amount of brass for it, just in case they stop making it.

Robert

Finster101
10-11-2021, 01:48 PM
I have not done enough research to see what the parent cartridge is so brass can be formed. If it is a true one off casing then brass may definitely become an issue. On a positive note. 6mm bullets are plentiful in several varieties.

GregLaROCHE
10-11-2021, 02:18 PM
I still have a couple of 6mm Rems I used to shoot over thirty years ago. I really liked them for target shooting. I still have a bunch of brass and often think of getting a mold and trying them with cast. 6mm/243 is an interesting caliber.

Daekar
10-12-2021, 05:12 AM
Like most of the modern cartridges released lately, 6mm Arc is built around heavy-for-caliber bullets with good BCs. For someone who is shooting Prarie dogs at 250 yards, the difference between that and 223 isn't worth writing home about, but the further out things are the better it compares.

Since I don't have a snowball's chance in Satan's underwear drawer of having a shot like that present itself around here, let alone making it, it's pretty pointless to me. Long range shooting seems to be a thing for a lot of folks though, otherwise the Creedmoor cartridges wouldn't be so popular.

FWIW, I would expect barrel life to be better than some of the real velocity monsters.

rockrat
10-12-2021, 10:20 AM
You could probably make it from 6.5 grendel or 6mm ppc with a bit more work. In a pinch and more work like turning necks and fireforming, you could make it from 7.62x39

MaryB
10-12-2021, 02:35 PM
.220 Russian(necked down 7.62x39) is the parent for cartridge both the 6.5 Grendel and 6mm Arc. The ARC has a slight performance advantage over the Grendel on distance but uses lighter bullets so it is a trade off. I am debating building a 6mm arc AR for coyote hunting. Some of my shots can be well over 400 yards across open farm fields and the flatter and faster arc would be an advantage over the Grendel.

rockrat
10-12-2021, 04:46 PM
I would compare the 6mm ARC to the 243 LBC(6mm Grendel), not the 6.5G. The ARC has less case capacity than the LBC and at similar pressures, barrel twist, and bullet weights, I would expect the LBC to outperform the ARC.
I use 6mm PPC dies to load my 243 LBC. In my 6.5G, I get 3000fps with a 90 Speer HP and benchmark powder(24" bbl)

MaryB
10-13-2021, 01:16 PM
.243LBC is to much of a wildcat for my liking... as I age I reload less and less... getting lazy LOL Hornady has 6mm ARC in several different loads.

farmbif
10-13-2021, 01:38 PM
finding brass in stock might be a challenge.

rockrat
10-13-2021, 03:52 PM
If you want/need factory ammo, then the ARC is the way to go

Finster101
10-14-2021, 07:44 AM
If you want/need factory ammo, then the ARC is the way to go

Easy enough to start with factory and reload the brass. Dies are available. I like the fact that it is an AR-15 platform not an AR-10. That means a lot of us could get away with just buying an upper and correct mags. AR-10s in .243 are way pricey and scarce with not a lot of choices. I have been looking for a while and then stumbled on the 6mm ARC and thought it might be a viable alternative. Due to my location I'm not a hunter and my range only goes to 300 yards.

MaryB
10-14-2021, 01:21 PM
I had a coyote hanging 600 yards out in the field behind the house last night, right in line with the farmhouse 1/2 mile out so I couldn't shoot. It wandered towards that farm then dropped into the drainage ditch and never reappeared. If it had been 100 yards further west I would have taken a shot... they use that drainage ditch as a highway between farms.

drizler
10-14-2021, 01:51 PM
Coyotes sill do things like that . On thing for sure though. If he was there once you’ll find him there again. Keep your eyes open and you’ll get him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaryB
10-15-2021, 02:24 PM
Farmer got him last night, was mangy and solo... and got buried. Pelts are coming into prime soon but the market is really down for them. I still get a $25 bounty for a back paw...