PDA

View Full Version : MinWax Max Velocity?

Steviesegal
10-10-2021, 07:38 PM
Hi,

New poster, new caster, but long time reloader here :mrgreen:

Several months ago I started casting .45 Auto projectiles. I'm using the non-TL Lee mold for 230gr flat points and I have a few pounds of IMR PB powder that I'm using. I'm shooting just above starting load charges and getting under 700fps velocity but perfect function and great accuracy.

I loaded and shot a few hundred rounds that I tumble lubed with a small amount of MinWax (liquefied with a hair dryer) and every round seemed to be fine and leading wasn't any worse than with commercial cast projectiles in that particular 1911.

But I'm curious if anything about this practice could cause any issues in the future and if anybody else does it like this.

Thanks!

Der Gebirgsjager
10-10-2021, 07:48 PM
i can't think of any issues, present or future. Wax, like bee's wax is pretty predicitable. At lower or low standard velocities you should be fine.

DG

Steviesegal
10-10-2021, 08:02 PM
i can't think of any issues, present or future. Wax, like bee's wax is pretty predicitable. At lower or low standard velocities you should be fine.

DG

Thanks! I'm fortunate that I was able to have the pistol function with such light loads. I tried loading and casting in 9x19 and I had to push the velocity around the 1000fps mark to get reliable functioning but the leading was quite a pain to remove.

GregLaROCHE
10-11-2021, 12:40 AM
Consider adding some Alox if you want to increase velocity and keep down leading.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-11-2021, 08:52 AM
There is lots of Minwax products. I assume you are refering to minwax paste finishing wax?
If so, according to MSDS, it's just paraffin wax and solvent.
I think JPW is better, besides having those ingredients, JPW also has some microwax as well as some Carnuba wax in the mix.

Steviesegal
10-11-2021, 09:07 PM
There is lots of Minwax products. I assume you are refering to minwax paste finishing wax?
If so, according to MSDS, it's just paraffin wax and solvent.
I think JPW is better, besides having those ingredients, JPW also has some microwax as well as some Carnuba wax in the mix.

Yes, the paste. I'm sure my can is close to 50 years old and there is barely any used I'm not sure if I will ever get to use Johnson's in my lifetime at the rate I'm using the MinWax haha

GhostHawk
10-11-2021, 09:28 PM
I agree with JonB in leaning towards JPW for the carnuba wax alone.

That stuff does great things to your bores.

And yes you can add it to thinned Lee Alox.
1-2% carnuba is all you need.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-12-2021, 09:29 AM
I agree with JonB in leaning towards JPW for the carnuba wax alone.
>>>SNIP
Microwax also has some benefits.
Paraffin goes from solid to liquid almost instantly as it's heated, But most varieties of Microwax have a plastic stage in a range of temperatures, between solid and liquid, much like Beeswax. I believe that there is benefits to having a mix of waxes in a bullet lube,,,to cover the bases, so to speak.