PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas for homemade snake rounds

tayous1
10-10-2021, 01:50 AM
So looking for information on making my own snake rounds in different calibers. Can you make rifle rounds also?

Mostly looking at wheel gun rounds but would like to know if you can do it for 45 ACP.

I was told there are ways to make your own and would like to know ideas. From making snake shot to #4 shot.

What's best to use for the overshot cap and nitro cap. Do you seal your shot and of so with what? Please teach me thanks!

GhostHawk
10-10-2021, 08:48 AM
You need to learn to use the search function here.

Yes .45acp works, yes there are recipes.

Some use gas checks for overshot. Others use other things.
You can punch out thin cardboard for overpowder wads.

Minerat
10-10-2021, 04:55 PM
Try this

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?253-Shot-Shell-Loads-For-Pistols

May have the info you are looking for.:cool:

Ole Joe Clarke
10-11-2021, 02:13 PM
I posted to a thread here several years ago on (.38 special) this subject. If you can't find what you are looking for I can repost if necessary.

They work.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Electrod47
10-11-2021, 05:47 PM
Go to the home page. There's a whole section for threads on "Shotshell for Pistol"

Minerat
10-11-2021, 07:17 PM
Look up this post is not in the "Shotshell for Pistol section" Some other Mod did that for us.[smilie=w:

Adam Helmer
10-12-2021, 01:51 PM
So looking for information on making my own snake rounds in different calibers. Can you make rifle rounds also?

Mostly looking at wheel gun rounds but would like to know if you can do it for 45 ACP.

I was told there are ways to make your own and would like to know ideas. From making snake shot to #4 shot.

What's best to use for the overshot cap and nitro cap. Do you seal your shot and of so with what? Please teach me thanks!

tayous1,

In what state do you live and what snakes are the problem? You state you prefer wheelguns and that is good as semi-autos have issues hard to make work, in my experience. Further, #4 is a poor choice for handgun snake loads. Here in rattler and Copperhead country, I find #6 or 7.5 will do the job.

Revolvers of .38,.357 and .44 will do well with #6 or #7.5 and gas checks as bottom and top wads. I prefer Unique powder and the snakes tie themselves in knots when I shoot them. Revolvers are much more reliable than any automatic pistols and snake loads in my 30 year farm experience.

Rifled arms SCATTER shot loads dismally! Any rifled arm disperses all shot loads before any long range is attained.
Adam

Mk42gunner
10-12-2021, 03:08 PM
For revolvers read this: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?77286-Revolver-shot-loads-that-WORK!

For the .45 ACP, there are numerous ways to form a bottle necked case from one from the .308 Win family and get it to work.

Shot loads from any rifled arm are a very short range proposition. I prefer to use #12 shot for pattern density. A ten pound bag of shot will last most people three lifetimes, even with playing around developing loads.

Robert

gnappi
10-23-2021, 11:38 PM
I live in one of the "snakiest" places in the U.S, South Florida. I've shot AT snakes with .357 and 44 mag revolvers with shot capsules, A TC Contender in .44 mag with the old snake capsules (after screwing in the choke) and never killed a snake from any distance, and I mean 3-5 feet away. OTOH a straight .44 mag dispatches them instantly every time.

The "patterns" on handguns are ridiculously wide and scattered. I've read that some have killed dozens of snakes, I'd have to see the powder burns on the skin to believe it.

Mk42gunner
10-24-2021, 06:45 PM
Gary,
I've only killed one snake with a CCI .38 special shot load. I was not impressed. For years I thought they were loaded with #7˝ shot, but now all I can find is #9.

I have killed or at least stopped dozens with the CCI .22 LR shot shell. It is loaded with #12 shot and seems to me to do a better job. It really doesn't take much damage to get a snake to curl up into a ball, giving you time to get another shot at it, or to load a standard round for a shot at a semi stationary target. Most snakes were 1˝" diameter or smaller.

Consequently, all my home brewed loads use #12 shot. I have not seen a snake while carrying one of my loads, I got a bunch of cats that take care of them around the house.

Once you get up to a ˝oz payload, (2˝" .410 or bigger) most fine shot from #6 on down seems to work.

Truthfully, my Grandma's garden hoe worked just as well, but I don't like getting that close to a venomous snake that is still lively.

Robert

JimB..
10-24-2021, 09:33 PM
I have all the stuff to make them, just need time. In the meantime a suppressed 22lr is as effective as a 44mag for anything native to my area. You guys in FL may need a 45-70 or a 12gauge with a slug to deal with the invasive species.

triggerhappy243
11-10-2021, 12:07 AM

LOOK FOR THIS THREAD..............Stretching that 44 mag case.

jmorris
11-10-2021, 12:47 PM

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?235886-Homemade-45-acp-shotshell-die

Alferd Packer
02-13-2022, 05:14 AM
If you say you can't kill snakes or rats with a pistol shell, 38, or 44, 45 caliber, then you are plainly loading them too dang HOT.
It will blow your pattern and never hit anything with shot.
First try 2 grains of bullseye under any shot load.
Then 2.5 grains, then 3.0 grains of Bullseye.
Try 3.0 grains of unique under a shotload.
Using an over powder wad and fine shot, you will shred the target.

The only shotshells that I have found #12 shot loaded in were RIO brand in one and one and one eighth 12 ga. loads.
One box of these will give you enough shot to load pistol shells for a lifetime of snake or rat shooting.
Graf and Sons used to sell RIO shotshells.