PDA

View Full Version : Game Report

versa-06
10-09-2021, 03:03 PM
Hunting season for any kind of critter with a firearm has not opened here yet, other than squirrel. But the anticipation is getting the best of me. Any report of hunting success would be appreciated (photo's are good). Let us all in on your success on anything from rabbits to Rhinos. I really like taking in the story of a successful hunt that's shared. I think that the experience & memory of events is the icing on the cake.

BK7saum
10-09-2021, 05:18 PM
I dont have any successful hunts yet, but this deer is asking for trouble from my daughters.

memtb
10-09-2021, 05:43 PM
Saw a nice little bull moose a few days ago, while looking at our elk hunting area! He’s very safe for a multitude of reasons......well, except for the wolves! memtb

badguybuster
10-09-2021, 05:50 PM
I took a bear with my Win 92 in 357 mag and a mediocre buck with my bow

elk hunter
10-10-2021, 09:24 AM
The wife and I got hunt deer for two days, never saw hair. Probably wont get out again until elk season.

white eagle
10-10-2021, 09:49 AM
I just got back from a successful black bear hunt
took a large bear and am working on the hide
also had a wonderful meal of bbq bear ribs

reloader28
10-10-2021, 11:17 AM
I aint bought any tags yet but my friends have gotten antelope, elk, moose and deer so far.
I've been wanting to go chucker hunting but its been to warm whenever I get the chance

quilbilly
10-10-2021, 02:08 PM
The early deer season for muzzleloaders has come and gone here. We had a doe tag for the unit around our neighborhood so I stayed close to home for the week. I knew the deer population was depressed but when I saw more mountain lions than deer while driving logging roads and walking what used to be productive areas, the deer are in real trouble here. With the deer population crashing, the lions will no doubt do that soon due to starvation. That is how nature works. With all the frenzied logging that happened in the last 2 years, the deer will come back fast as the lions get scarce with all that food rich "edge habitat" that they like so much. Not too far from here the same thing happened to one of my other favorite areas when I saw three mountain lions (not just lion sign) working the area. It has taken the deer about 5 years to make a comeback there but it is happening.

Shawlerbrook
10-10-2021, 02:12 PM
Mrs shawlerbrook and I have been out 4 or 5 bow hunting for deer on our farm. Saw a few doe, but the weather has been extremely warm, wet and windy. Saw a fisher and a coyote which was cool.

brewer12345
10-10-2021, 03:21 PM
Last weekend we went out for pronghorn. After a gruelling day that saw us hike more than 20 miles, I spotted a buck and his harem from my spot on the cliff. I tried to put a stalk on them down in the canyon, but they kept spooking and drifting away. Finally I figured out that they were going to scoot along a little gully and that I could use the cliff edge as cover to get into position on the other side of it. I got to my spot just as the first animal crested the cliff edge right in front of me. Busted a nice doe (all we could get tags for) at 75 yards even though she was starting to move as I shot. With factory 350 legend ammo, she dropped where she was hit. The other doe and the buck then demonstrated exactly how fast they can run.

Went out for ML deer yesterday. We like to hunt an island in the river, which requires wading and keeps the other hunters out. Right around dawn a yearling doe walks toward me on the trail to about 40 yards, spooks at something across the river channel, and scoots out to about 70 yards away from me and poses broadside. A little far for my unaided eyesight, but I took the shot. While waiting the requisite 30 minutes after the shot, another doe walks by me towards where my buddy is posted up. I let her pass and stayed still until she was out of sight, then found my doe 20 yards from where she was hit and quite dead in the long grass. I take a pic, put down my pack and hear my buddy shoot. His muley doe walked to within 20 yards of him. He hit a little high and blew up a section of spine, but had to go mountain man and finish her off by slitting the throat.

A 58 round ball over 75 grains of OE 1.5F in a Zoli Zouave made short work of my small doe. In the ribs, golf ball sized hole in the heart, collateral damage to the lungs, through the far shoulder, and off to parts unknown. Would have loved to find the ball since the exit hole was about an inch in diameter.

Geezer in NH
10-10-2021, 04:02 PM
Nice bull moose walked through the house yard 3 days ago. nice sized paddle rack about 700 pounds easy. Went down the driveway crossed the road and walked through the neighbors electric sheep fence tearing it down . He was drooling all the time. Rut is on for sure.

Season opens next weekend for lucky permitees.

Jim22
10-10-2021, 05:21 PM
In our area there is a lot of complaining because of the Summer's drought. Deer are in poor shape. You can see ribs on the does. Found a dead fawn this morning. This will be a brutal winter.

Jim

Hogtamer
10-10-2021, 06:33 PM
290080Grandson had a great day opening of Youth Day. 2 shots with .243 about 70 yds.

winelover
10-11-2021, 07:05 AM
Third morning, I hunted during our length archery season, on my acreage. Wednesday, last week, took this 6 point for the freezer. Now to concentrate one with larger headgear. I only hunt in the mornings, for the first three hours or so. First day out, last Monday, had a parade of seven does, walk past my stand. Been hot and dry here. Archery season started the third weekend in September. I usually don't hunt till after October 1st.......because of the warm weather.

Winelover

ChristopherO
10-11-2021, 10:11 PM
290131 One groundhog at 30 yards with a hard cast 35 at about 1,000 fps. It jumped 2' and scooted into the old barn. Two days later something pulled it out of the hole and to the grass in front of the barn. The vultures were plentiful.

290132 The next evening I was sporting the 17HMR for the same task to clean the old barn of these floor destroying rodents. This one didn't jump, or run, it just rolled off the rock perch and twitched a bit.

The deer hunting bug hasn't bit me yet. I suspect when the weather cools I'll decide to go out with a bow until gun season arrives.

megasupermagnum
10-11-2021, 10:47 PM
I just checked the Virginia website, and it looks like your bear season is open for firearms. Most bird hunting appears open, including dove and ducks. Bobcat is open. I'm guessing Coyote is open year round. Along with that, it appears turkey opens next weekend.

I'd get out there.

762 shooter
10-12-2021, 06:20 AM
Got my first meat deer Friday.

Still too warm here.

memtb
10-12-2021, 09:44 AM
I aint bought any tags yet but my friends have gotten antelope, elk, moose and deer so far.
I've been wanting to go chucker hunting but its been to warm whenever I get the chance

That’s rapidly changing as we speak! :smile: memtb

versa-06
10-12-2021, 09:57 AM
We had an early 3-day hunt on bears Sept. 27-29. It was just too hot, if lucky the flies would be on it in no time. Archery is rolling but I've got bad shoulders & elbows. Bought 2 Excalibur X-Bows Wife used hers a few times last year mine's in the box still. Muzz. season starts Oct. 30th I'll be there if not raining. I'm a rifle hunter & don't want to use my tags using a bow.

marshall623
10-12-2021, 09:34 PM
I killed a doe this past Friday with the crossbow .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211019/995bdb1365a79900cfdcd34c9fc9ad3f.jpg

versa-06
10-16-2021, 05:22 PM
I may have to go shoot a couple of squirrels & smoke'em just to carry me to the 30th.

versa-06
10-16-2021, 05:24 PM
P.S. We've gotten a few bears in the area recently & I would REALLY like to let the air out of one this year.

Jeff Michel
10-16-2021, 05:29 PM
Antlerless opens next week in W Virginia.

sigep1764
10-18-2021, 09:49 PM

Got this doe last night at dusk. We were packing in for the night, getting gas from the farm tank for the next days ride home. Decided to leave the truck and walk the 150 yards back to the house and we saw three deer between a break in the tree line. Landowner and friend said to take it if I wanted the shot. First ever with the crossbow. Bought them in January this year and we have been practicing every time we go to the farm. Bolt went in just above the shoulder and came halfway out the the center of the opposite shoulder. We walked it off as 70 yards. This is my third one overall in the two years since I started hunting deer and this property.

sigep1764
11-18-2021, 10:18 PM

At Grandma's place for vacation which should have been a week at a friends property for firearm season here in MO. Grandma just had a shoulder replaced so I came down here instead. She said I could hunt and I've been up at 5am for the past 3 days. Plenty of deer, but no shots. Sitting on the back porch this evening about to walk out to the back of the shop and saw this guy just standing at the road about 40 yards away. I froze, we stared at each other, he turned to look behind him, and I hit him with an RCBS 270-150 cast of wheel weights lubed with Carnuba Blue with a home made check. 10 grains of Red Dot. 3rd deer with this load. Scale at the processor said 110lbs after field dress.

Orchard6
11-19-2021, 07:39 AM
https://youtu.be/JhOQ3DuUgpA

These guys are my favorite to go after! I wish I could say I’m using boolits but I’m using 90 grain Speer TNTS in my 6.5 Grendel at 2700 fps. I’ve gotten 8 around our farm this last summer!

starnbar
11-19-2021, 07:57 AM
This year I am just shooting yotes yeah I know but let me tell you my neighbor has about 100 cows in back of my place lost a calf awhile back all we found was a chewed off ear but plenty of yote tracks. I haven't had any deer tracks that I could see since mid summer so it is gonna be cleanup time I put my nv scope on the M1A and got the big tree stand ready so I will have at it.

versa-06
11-19-2021, 05:22 PM
Looks like there has been some freezer filling happening. This is the worst year in 20 for me. I've been through 2-weeks of muzzle loader & 6 days of general firearms season & have not seen 1-deer. Acorns are almost non-existant at my honey hole. Gonna have to move.

sigep1764
11-19-2021, 09:22 PM
Looks like there has been some freezer filling happening. This is the worst year in 20 for me. I've been through 2-weeks of muzzle loader & 6 days of general firearms season & have not seen 1-deer. Acorns are almost non-existant at my honey hole. Gonna have to move.

Water and woods seems to work for me!

versa-06
11-25-2021, 09:43 AM
Lots if water & woods, just no mesh to feed on. Moved a little south to the next mountain, same thing. I'm getting reports that there are plenty of deer down low in the hollers & valleys.

Jedman
11-25-2021, 11:02 AM
292173Happy Thanksgiving to everyone ! Myself and a friend spent the first 2 days of MI gun season hunting large tracts of state land in Northern MI we seen a few flashes of deer but neither of us got a shot. Came home and the next day right after daybreak there were several deer running crazy in a cut corn field behind my home. This was on 11/18 and I was surprised at the rutting activities going on as I seen 3 different bucks and even more does and the bucks were staying right with the does wherever they went. I had a a 6 point and a doe come up close to the back of my property and I shot the small buck and he took a few hops and dropped in the field.
All throughout the day there were deer coming near where I field dressed that deer and I could have taken another but I was still tired from my trip up north and didn’t feel up to taking care of 2 deer right then so I left them go. I do have another tag and have more archery and muzzleloader season to fill the other tag so I am hoping for some light snow to hunt in as it’s been to warm so far. Good luck to everyone !

Jedman

versa-06
11-26-2021, 09:21 AM
Good Shoot'n ya'll Glad to see the freezers filling & the coyote kill'n.