PDA

View Full Version : Hunting snacks

Thumbcocker
10-09-2021, 10:20 AM
It just occurred to me that most threads on hunting never include an important item. Snacks. Here in Illinois hunting is usually ground blind or tree stand. Lots of time to contemplate life's deeper mysteries and eat snacks. So here are some of mine. What do y'all take for hunting snacks?

Apples

Chewy granola bars

And the timeless classic: frosted cherry pop tarts.

WRideout
10-09-2021, 10:29 AM
Canned Vienna Sausage and crackers.

Wayne

Hossfly
10-09-2021, 10:31 AM
When I was 16 I would always find a tree to climb and sit in a fork or limb about 6-10’ off the ground. Had a banana and a 6oz coke in my coat pocket. Ate the banana and some how got the cap off the bottle, drank the coke and dropped peeling and bottle to ground. Felt like something was looking at me, you know you just get that feeling sometimes. Sure nuff a spike buck was starring at me about 20 yards through thick brush, shot him with 12 ga. #1 buck shot. Kinda wondered what he was thinking, standing there staring, what is that kid doing in that tree eating a banana and drinking a coke.

cwtebay
10-09-2021, 12:41 PM
May be partially superstition - but we have always taken something from the land as a snack. Whether it's antelope salami or grouse jerky or elk snack sticks. Seems that out hunts always go better when fueled by the bounty of a previous harvest.
And we always make sure that the first successful hunter contributes a portion of his / her game to the group's meal that day. Nothing beats a fresh kabob from the tenderloin at mid-day with hunting companions.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

pworley1
10-09-2021, 12:52 PM
apples

Gofaaast
10-09-2021, 12:57 PM
Jerky preferably Deer
Granola bars
Kars trail mix
Small bottle of bourbon

Shawlerbrook
10-09-2021, 01:00 PM
Apples, granola bars and various different kinds of chocolate candy. Traditional for opening day of rifle season is sausage roll...dough rolled with cooked crumbled Italian sausage, 3 or 4 kinds of cheese and crumbled hard boiled eggs then baked until golden brown.

slownsteady22
10-09-2021, 01:10 PM
Starburst, Vienna sausages, or if its cold i will take a pocket stove and chilli/ stew of some kind. I keep it in a old dollar store pb jar that has a screw on cap.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Texas by God
10-09-2021, 01:14 PM
Pecan Pie Mini Muffins, jerky, chocolate, coffee and a bottle of water.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Reverend Recoil
10-09-2021, 01:16 PM
Fruit cake between Christmas and New Years Day.

444ttd
10-09-2021, 01:17 PM
coffee
hershey chocolate bar(1/week)
coffee
deer jerky
coffee
and some more coffee.

did i mention coffee?

hoodat
10-09-2021, 01:24 PM
Jerkey,--trail-mix.

Didn't know anything else was allowed. jd

Electrod47
10-09-2021, 01:57 PM
Black pepper beef jerky about a 1/2 handfull 2 mini pepsi's 4 mini snickers "bites plus Cracker Barrel peppermint stick for the finish. That'l get me from 2:30 PM til too dark to shot. Haven't got tired of it yet.

Texas by God
10-09-2021, 02:34 PM
Canned Vienna Sausage and crackers.

WayneWill. E. Landem "Fishing Guide to the Stars" considered that menu to be "Snacking with the gods"![emoji16]

versa-06
10-09-2021, 02:44 PM
I gave up on chewing tobacco several years ago & the only time I miss it is while driving or hunting. So after my 1-2 apples out comes the hard candy. Apples seem to suppress the appetite & the candy entertains the taste buds between critters. Just a word of advice, Don't take any candy that has gotten warm, it sticks to the wrapper, gets on your fingers, then every where else including your firearm.

Cast10
10-09-2021, 02:56 PM
Bottled water cheese crackers peanuts maybe an apple

sixshot
10-09-2021, 03:04 PM
I always have one of these with me, it's a little can of chicken salad with a spoon & a few crackers inside, very tasty. You can also get them in Tuna fish but I don't care for Tuna. I also carry a little elk or venison jerky & a few of the bit size snickers bars. That will last me until I get back to the jeep.
https://i.imgur.com/AJjM4fyh.jpg
Dick

white eagle
10-09-2021, 03:09 PM
this year bear sausage, water, apples and a few granola bars

MT Gianni
10-09-2021, 03:23 PM
The last few years I have hunted from a ground blind and am only there from 2-6. I take a water bottle but don't need snacks. When Elk hunting I took a lunch of granola/trail mix, water, apple and sardines. I expected to be out from first light or before to dark thirty.

BigAlofPa.
10-09-2021, 03:32 PM
I usually take a bottle of water and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Minerat
10-09-2021, 07:52 PM
In the pack go, Elk snack sticks, home made gorp with skittles and dried cranberries for taste, cheese crackers with peanut butter, water/gator aid mix & mini bites snickers.

Thumbcocker
10-09-2021, 07:54 PM
What, no hardtack?

ShooterAZ
10-09-2021, 07:58 PM
Apples, granola bars, sardines & saltines, and beef or elk jerky are my normal snacks on a hunt.

NEKVT
10-09-2021, 10:32 PM
You'll find two customary snacks in my pack during deer season - a bag of a simple trail mix consisting of peanuts (unsalted don't want any rusty fingerprints on my rifles), raisins and chocolate chips and some brownies. Not just any brownies but Benoit brownies - Larry Benoit's wife's extra rich recipe from his 1975 book. Been making these for more than 35 yrs and the family loves them too. About 20 years ago I went with a friend to Larry's house in VT so the friend could buy one of his knives. While the friend was with Larry I chatted with Iris at the kitchen table and told her I had been making her brownies for 15 yrs. She was quite amused by that.

I have a Johnson Wool backpack and one night I left a bag of trail mix in the back outside compartment. In the morning there was a hole chewed in it which ticked me off. When I went to put on my Muck boots that were across the room there was a pile of peanuts in one...and the mouse. That was the last of his peanut stealing days!

CastingFool
10-09-2021, 10:39 PM
I have taken peanut butter sandwiches before, but lately, I've only been taking coffee.

gumbo333
10-10-2021, 11:47 AM
Finally castjngfool mentioned PBJ, and don't forget fried egg sandwich, esp on a bagel. Plus all the above!

Tripplebeards
10-10-2021, 12:07 PM
Nothing so I sit all day without having a bowl movement.

fastdadio
10-10-2021, 12:39 PM
In my pack goes home made jerky. If it don't have any venison left over, I buy a london broil and jerk that up. Home mixed trail mix; 1 can cashews, 1 bag M&M's, dried cherries, rasins. Hard candies, I like spearmint Life savors, they last for years floating around in the pack. Oatmeal cookies. Fastlady makes me a batch for hunting using 50% more oatmeal than the recipe calls for. This makes them a bit more dry and crumbly so not as fatty, with walnuts and rasins. Canteen of water. I leave the thermos of coffee or a beer in the truck for when I get back out of the woods.
Don't forget to save a 1/4 roll of tp in a zip lock bag, just in case......

slohunter
10-10-2021, 12:58 PM
Vienna Sausage & Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam!

cwtebay
10-10-2021, 01:21 PM
Historically, I have killed a whitetail doe with my bow on opening day for jerky for the rest of the hunting season. That task has passed to one of my sons the past few years. My 14 year old got a calf elk in August on a damage hunt so we are well stocked on jerky and some homemade summer sausage (made with in from that. The calf was about the size of a mule deer doe and was in his first year, grazing the best alfalfa and oats - gotta say, I haven't had better jerky in my life.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

beezapilot
10-10-2021, 01:23 PM
I usually take a bottle of water and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Big Al and I are cut from the same cloth, every significant adventure I've had in the last 60 years has been fueled by PB&J.

Geezer in NH
10-10-2021, 04:07 PM
Large size Snickers bars!! Meatloaf sandwich or baked bean sandwich and Pumpkin Woopie pie. Thermos of black coffee.

Camba
10-10-2021, 04:51 PM
Apple, banana, and chocolate snickers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dale2242
10-11-2021, 08:47 AM
Vienna sausage, smoked oysters and clams, kipper snacks, and the ever present salted in the shell peanuts to make a mess in the pickup coming and going to hunting areas.

r80rt
10-11-2021, 09:31 AM
I don't take anything, I hunt better when I'm hungry.

-D-
10-11-2021, 12:45 PM
Left over Halloween candy. I always make sure I have some left over.

centershot
10-11-2021, 01:02 PM
Jerky preferably Deer
Granola bars
Kars trail mix
Small bottle of bourbon

BOURBON!? :shock:

For me, a PBJ and a bottle of water. Maybe some granola.

GregLaROCHE
10-11-2021, 02:44 PM
I always liked summer sausage and sharp cheddar cheese. Fresh homemade bread to go with it, if I could get it.

JoeJames
10-11-2021, 02:53 PM
Crackers, summer sausage, and one of those tubes of Kraft garlic cheese.

fivegunner
10-11-2021, 03:59 PM
For me at one time all the above, but from now on HOT WINGS!!!

Mark Daiute
10-11-2021, 06:03 PM
couple of apples and maybe water, oranges if I have 'em.

slim1836
10-11-2021, 06:07 PM
Corn, lots of corn.

Slim

megasupermagnum
10-11-2021, 06:34 PM
I bring 2 drinks and 2 sandwiches for lunch. My classics are Powerade, and salami sandwiches. If I know I'm in for a serious workout, I've also brought a banana. No snacks.

echo154
10-11-2021, 08:03 PM
What .....no John Wayne cookies? I take a couple of the cookies, jerky (deer, elk, beef) I might be superstitious but I only took bear jerky one year.....never saw any deer on those days......maybe they still associate the smell. I also like crackers and cheese/peanut butter( not as quiet as jerky) and a bottle of water water.
I have a buddy who gets dressed goes into the local diner for a big skillet breakfast then heads out. I can smell him if I'm downwind....but he always fills his tags.......maybe I should bottle that skillet breakfast for lure:mrgreen:

skeettx
10-11-2021, 08:38 PM
Canned ham, cheese, alum foil wrapped baked potato for my two day hunting forays
in the mountains of Wyoming & Montana. Water from the streams

echo154
10-11-2021, 10:35 PM
Huh.....never thought about baked taters......put em in your coat (under your armpits....provided your pits don't smell like bad burritos:mrgreen:) help keep ya warm, when they cool ya get a good carb fix. Here in Central Il. you need to bring water or a dependable filter....if you've ever had amoebic Hershey HooHaahs.......you'll filter your own spit before you swallow it

echo154
10-12-2021, 03:08 AM
Oh and an insulated camel back filled with hot strong black or darjeeling .......honey/cream for the tea....black hot and thick for the Joe.

Buck Shot
10-12-2021, 08:30 AM
When I was a kid, my dad used to carry a block of dehydrated mince meat in his hunting vest, and when we took a break, he'd bust it out and carve off hunks to eat. It often had pheasant/woodcock/dove feathers or rabbit/squirrel hair stuck to the outside, but it was good. He'd also give a little to our pointer or setter, which I now realize was a really BAD idea: Mince meat contains raisins, which are very toxic to dogs (also grapes -- the skin of grapes and raisins contain a toxin that can cause kidney failure in dogs)!

ETA: Not easy to find but it's still out there. I'll have to get some and put it into my hunting vest...I suspect a slice of it when hunting would take me back 45 years.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51YtKsvFaZL.jpg

robg
10-13-2021, 02:15 PM
bacon sarnie ,bananas ,jerky ,chocolate and a flask of tea.all depends on whats handy.

Kylongrifle32
10-14-2021, 10:05 PM
Good ole peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich, Oreos, water or power ade.

dverna
10-15-2021, 11:45 AM
Hunting on my own land there is no need for a lot of snacks. At the hunt camp, we come in around 10:30 for brunch and head back out at 2:00. I normally carry a few granola type bars and a bottle of water or Gatorade

waksupi
10-15-2021, 01:15 PM
I used to carry some parched corn, some chocolate, and tea. I had a cup and tea bags, melted some snow, and made a small fire.

BunkTheory
10-17-2021, 06:14 PM
nah,,,condensed mincemeat sounded good, no one has it, even teh MAKER..

Guess itll be back to chewing tree bark and pine needles to pass the time. Maybe soak a bit of grass clippings in water to make a drink. Ohh what luxury

curiousgeorge
10-17-2021, 07:05 PM
I make my own "trail mix" from peanuts, raisins, and m&m's put up in the snack size baggies. Mid-morning in the stand is a small thermos of coffee and a Little Debbie "nutty bar". It doesn't get hard or freeze like a Snickers bar in cold weather. I want to keep all my fillings.

centershot
10-17-2021, 07:26 PM
I make my own "trail mix" from peanuts, raisins, and m&m's put up in the snack size baggies. Mid-morning in the stand is a small thermos of coffee and a Little Debbie "nutty bar". It doesn't get hard or freeze like a Snickers bar in cold weather. I want to keep all my fillings.

No worries! Just buy the "miniature" Snickers and pop the whole thing in your mouth for a few minutes, it'll melt! ;-)

Jedman
10-17-2021, 07:54 PM
Anymore I usually only hunt about 3-4 hours at a time as my arthritis will tell me I’m done. I always have water and usually carry a energy bar or something light. I am a big breakfast person and eat a good breakfast before heading out, in the evening I usually don’t carry any snacks maybe just a bottle of water.

Jedman

swingingblock2520
10-17-2021, 08:26 PM
My hunting provisions have always been my Stanley thermos filled with milk out the tank at the farm,some sort of cheese and some sort of cured or smoked meat or fish to nibble on. Smoked steelhead is a favorite of mine. I developed a tase for smoked steelhead on my trips to Eastern Washington State.

Dinny
10-24-2021, 11:07 PM
Apples to hide my coffee breath and trail mix.

JLF
11-03-2021, 08:27 PM
Mantecol (Peanut Bar)

Orchard6
11-10-2021, 07:25 AM
Coffee, a few cheese sticks and some venison or beef jerky for me. I usually have a kid with me on the stand these days so they often bring cheese balls or marshmallows and a few granola bars (they gotta make it hard on their diabetic dad!) and water.

Cosmic_Charlie
11-13-2021, 11:36 AM
Water, coffee, calvados, trail mix, dot's prettzles and a roast beef samich.

Texas by God
11-13-2021, 11:45 AM
Every other year, the native pecans are all over the ground. Hard to crack, but the flavor is worth it. And there's lots of deer in the "pecan bottom".

Johan Steyn
11-28-2021, 01:40 AM
When hunting with my wife, biltong, droewors(dried sausage),Chocolate bars and a flask of coffee.

Doog-Meister
01-07-2022, 03:40 PM
Trail mix
peanut butter pretzel nuggets
hard-boiled eggs
apples
cheese sticks
frosted cherry pop-tarts

Beaverhunter2
03-01-2022, 11:05 PM
Nutty Bars - they're lucky. ;-) And Mountain Man-style venison jerky. I've been working on the same zip-lock bag full for three deer seasons. The stuff keeps forever.

Eddie Southgate
03-09-2022, 08:19 PM
No snacks harmed , I smoke a cigar instead .

OKMike
03-11-2022, 07:27 PM
I carry those fool packs of tuna or the old standby of PB crackers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norske
03-16-2022, 08:40 PM
Reese's peanut butter cups. May as well snack on a "bait".

Smoke4320
03-17-2022, 04:35 PM
Tortilla wraps with spicy mustard cheddar cheese and braunschweiger or sometimes black forest ham
Always have a couple MRE's left in the stand for backups and of course a thermos of hot coffee

JWFilips
03-17-2022, 05:33 PM
When I was younger & I was hunting with my buddy in the after Christmas antique flintlock season in PA; My wife used to make all kinds of Christmas cookies along with her special Banana Fruit cakes ! with lots of nut meats and typical sugared fruits ( no citron!) but she soaked them over night so they were not so candied sweet. Added a good bit of Dark Black Rum!
My coat pockets were loaded up with slices of those cakes and all different types of cookies! Helped make the month and a half season very pleasurable!