PDA

View Full Version : Frankford Arsenal Hand Deprimer for Mindless Process of Depriming

Liberty1776
10-08-2021, 06:26 PM
I like to deprime my brass before wet tumbling.

An open primer hole allows the primer pocket itself to be cleaned (when using stainless steel pins) and lets the water flow through and out easier and completely. Shells dry faster too.

Another reason to deprime is to make sure I don't accidentally reseat a spent primer during reloading on my Dillion 550. Don't laugh. It has happened to me. Somehow, a spent primer is pushed out with the depriming pin in the sizing die, but sticks to the pin and gets pulled back into the primer pocket and I then load the shell with a dead primer. This cannot happen if the brass is deprimed.

I usually sit at my bench and poke out the spent primers using an old Lee press and a Lee Universal Decapping Die.

The problem is: DEPRIMING IS BORING.

So I've found I can sit in my living room and watch a mindless movie while I mindlessly deprime my brass.

To do this, I like using the Frankford Arsenal Hand Depriming tool.

Last night depriming a couple hundred 9mm, and a few random .380acp and .40 S&W went surprisingly fast, considering I would have been sitting in the same chair just watching a dumb movie.

One other advantage of depriming: I can catch errant caliber shells that got though the initial sorting.

starnbar
10-08-2021, 06:35 PM
Hey if it works for you that is all that matters

Minerat
10-08-2021, 07:44 PM
I use one exclusively now. But I got tired of dumping the spent primers all over when least expacted. So... I took a small diameter prescription bottle with an adult cap, cut the bottom out and hot glued it into the hole where their primer bottle goes. Now I have to take the cap off to get the primers out not just bump the bottle and have them dumped on my lap. Last time I used it I did 1800 40 S&W cases.

Green Frog
10-08-2021, 09:11 PM
I’ve said it before, the system that works best for you, works best for you. I’ve gotten to the point where I like to decap and FL size large numbers of one case size on a press (single stage or turret) with a TC die. Everybody has a system they like, and for them, it’s the best system. Looks like you and Frankford Arsenal are very happy together.

Froggie

JimB..
10-08-2021, 09:32 PM
I’ve used that deprimer for tens of thousands of rounds. I wear a leather glove to avoid blisters. I’ve recently converted to the Lee APP and only go to the hand tool for small batches.

jmorris
10-08-2021, 09:59 PM
No telling how many blisters I avoided with this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1ieGYpdr9I

Liberty1776
10-08-2021, 10:00 PM
I got tired of dumping the spent primers all over when least expected. So... I took a small diameter prescription bottle with an adult cap, cut the bottom out and hot glued it into the hole where their primer bottle goes. Now I have to take the cap off to get the primers out not just bump the bottle and have them dumped on my lap.

Good idea. I've experienced the catastrophic result when the FA primer catcher friction fit fails. I've been looking for alternatives. Hot glue is our friend.

What about cutting a hole in the adult cap and gluing that cap to the deprimer body? Anything to get rid of that friction fit catcher is a good idea.

Sasquatch-1
10-09-2021, 07:49 AM
I have been using one for several years now. I just make sure the tube is tight in the hole before I start. I have a bigger problem with primers falling out of the small hole at the base of the shell.

I liked it so much I bought one for my daughter and told her any brass she brings to the house WILL be de-primed first.

Minerat
10-09-2021, 10:02 AM
Good idea. I've experienced the catastrophic result when the FA primer catcher friction fit fails. I've been looking for alternatives. Hot glue is our friend.

What about cutting a hole in the adult cap and gluing that cap to the deprimer body? Anything to get rid of that friction fit catcher is a good idea.

I tried that but the base of the pill bottle I found fit over the deprimer body so the hot glue is just to keep it attached. Here's a couple of pictures. It ain't pretty but works.

Liberty1776
10-09-2021, 12:02 PM
I tried that but the base of the pill bottle I found fit over the deprimer body so the hot glue is just to keep it attached.

This kind of pill-bottle recycling is why I post such obvious tools -- and why I save my old pill bottles (much to my wife's consternation: she calls me a "hoarder"). Somebody always has a better idea.

The great thing about hot glue is that you can remove it if you don't like it, but also holds very well if applied properly.

I can only dream about having one of the automatic machines proffered.

Mwilson0173
10-09-2021, 02:22 PM
I have the same one I love it. But it does get boring deprimming anything lol. I love the pill bottle idea cause if you do touch it you do get a lap full. Great idea guys.

Liberty1776
10-09-2021, 05:38 PM
Easy and effective mod to add the pill bottle.

My spare pill bottles are a bit larger, but allowed me to drill a hole slightly off center in the bottom using a large step drill, which slowly cuts the hole a bit at a time allowing me to sneak up on the diameter without cracking the plastic.

I then cut a side slot with a band saw (a small saw or file would work) that fits over the decapper's rib:

Dryfitting the pill bottle to the Frankford Arsenal Decapper:

After hot glue. Note the side slot fits over the decapper's rib. This effectively stops the bottle from being able to rotate. There's no way to twist the hot glue off the decapper body.

Very secure and will hold a ton of spent primers without fear of spilling:

Thanks for the idea, Minerat! I love easy, effective and free mods! :happy dance:

Minerat
10-09-2021, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the idea, Minerat! I love easy, effective and free mods!

You're welcome but you got fancier then I did with all the drilling as sawing. I used a razer knife to cut the slot and the bottom off the bottle. Lol.

Get one of those snap off caps instead of the child proof. I kept breaking the bottle off with those things. Your pharmacy should have the adult caps.

Now if I can figure out a way to keep them from coming out the hole they go in.

Liberty1776
10-09-2021, 07:51 PM
Ah. So that's what you meant by "adult cap." I interpreted that as "childproof." There is a difference. I'll look into getting one.

This larger pill bottle, which is 1-7/8" diameter x 2-3/4" long, is fairly strong. I can push against the childproof locks easily to remove the cap.

I just have to remember not to open the bottle while I'm in my easy chair in the living room or disaster will strike, again, and spent primers will be all over the floor and in the seat cushions.... :-x

Minerat
10-09-2021, 10:24 PM
Just remember keep it pointed down or all those accumulated primers will sneak out the back.:D

Mr_Sheesh
10-10-2021, 04:53 AM
I use sports tape (as used for tennis racquets and bicycle handlebars) to blister-proof mine, one's black the other purple. IMO the designer needs to fix the blister causing design, it bites.

I hadn't thought of pill bottles; There are folks who sell a "Never Empty Upgrade" on evilbay etc. for these, $10ish, has ~3' of vinyl tubing and that holds a LOT of primers! Just empty it when it gets a bunch in there, you don't want a spill.

pworley1
10-10-2021, 07:29 AM
I use the lee hand press, but that looks cleaner.

Liberty1776
10-10-2021, 09:34 AM
I use sports tape (as used for tennis racquets and bicycle handlebars) to blister-proof mine.... IMO the designer needs to fix the blister causing design, it bites.

Yet another worthy mod to the ol' FA Decapper.

I wonder if coating certain parts in Plasti-Dip would endure thousands of cycles.

I sat last night and deprimed a large cottage cheese container's worth of 9mm and realized some padding was definitely needed on the squeeze handles and the back of depriming pin assembly that you tilt up to insert the next shell. (I think that's why JimB above wears a leather glove to avoid blisters.)

Mr_Sheesh
10-10-2021, 04:26 PM
Leather glove works.

Try the plasti-dip maybe?

MSUICEMAN
10-10-2021, 08:27 PM
Off topic

MSUICEMAN
10-10-2021, 11:59 PM
I have a 3d printer also, though I'm pretty new to it. Ender 3 v2

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

GhostHawk
10-11-2021, 08:42 AM
I use my FA hand decapper for almost all of my brass.

I love it as I can do it in my recliner. Then walk 5 steps to the kitchen, do a citric acid wash soak swirl and rinse.
Then I like to dump the brass in a towel and run a small brush through the primer pocket. A towel folded in half laying on my leg then is used to roll the brass down the towel. This catches any splits or problems.

Once the batch is done they get put on the gas stove over the pilot as a nice warm spot to finish drying.

Dies remain clean as a whistle, no dirt, grit, sand, powder residue to mark up brass.

And the brass is clean enough inside to see the primer hole. Makes watching a loading tray full of primed charged brass dead easy to see any inconsistency's of powder level.

I would say this is one of the best tools I have ever bought. And it encouraged me to clean my brass with citric acid wash. Since it was right close and handy.

My brass does not look like new, but it does not have to. By the same token, it is also not soot stained and dingy.
It looks respectable. And its dead easy to do, and does not take a lot of time. What time it does take I can be watching a movie or a youtube video at the same time.

Win win for me.

PS, mine has only dumped primers once. But I am considering that mod for the pill vial. Seems like a better design.

Butzbach
10-11-2021, 09:25 AM
This kind of pill-bottle recycling is why I post such obvious tools -- and why I save my old pill bottles (much to my wife's consternation: she calls me a "hoarder"). Somebody always has a better idea.

The great thing about hot glue is that you can remove it if you don't like it, but also holds very well if applied properly.

I can only dream about having one of the automatic machines proffered.

I keep all kinds of containers too. A couple of ways to avoid the "hoarder" label are:

1. Limit the total of any one kind of container to 5 (or 10)
2. Limit your total container stock to one tote or bin (or large moving box)

Liberty1776
10-12-2021, 05:25 PM
this post has convinced me to get a lee app press. I was on the fence and this just knocked me over it.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? This thing exists??? And it can do what??
https://leeprecision.com/app-automatic-processing-press/

Why was I not informed?! I am outraged. ;-)

The APP is only $75 at Midway. Comes with three of those pass-thru shellholders (#2, #4, #19). But I bought the shellholder kit anyway. https://leeprecision.com/x-press-shell-holders/

It can remove military crimps, size boolits, decap, debulge. The die can be mounted upright or upside down. Utilizes the Lee Breechlock system, which I already adopted and adapted to my old Rock Chucker.

I thought I was looking at some custom-designed wonder machine, not an off-the-shelf Lee press that came to market March, 2020 with a suggested price of $110.

This discovery is by far the most valuable of this thread.

I thank you. My blistered index finger thanks you. My formerly filthy dirty left hand (from handling dirty brass during decapping) thanks you.

MSUICEMAN
10-13-2021, 03:32 PM
Will get on it! Need to figure out a casefeed for it also.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

JimB..
10-13-2021, 10:33 PM
@gws get yerself over to a big box store and find a plastic funnel. Fit it over the tube and cut most of the funnel away, you only need an opening of about 1.25”. You’ll triple your loading rate with no effort. I just mount it on the press and drop in cases as fast as I pull the handle, did 5 gal of 5.56 tonight in about 90 min, wasn’t in a hurry.

Minerat
10-13-2021, 11:13 PM
Ok guys enough thread drift. Back to the OP topic. APP has its own thread so does 3D printing.

Thank you.

Minerat
10-14-2021, 12:52 AM
Sorry you disagree but I stand by my comment.

His title is
Frankford Arsenal Hand Deprimer for Mindless Process of Depriming And he is correct depriming is boring and in my opinion, matter what device you use.;-)

Sasquatch-1
10-14-2021, 07:49 AM
Dang thread hijackers.:kidding::hijack:

GWS
10-14-2021, 04:07 PM
Sorry you disagree but I stand by my comment.

His title is And he is correct depriming is boring and in my opinion, matter what device you use.;-)

You are right I disagree, but I doubt you are sorry about it. I thought the OP was posting in hopes of finding something less boring. The longer you spend depriming the more boring it is. The pill bottle doesn't make the "boring" part any faster.

I erased all my other posts....hope that pleases you.
But one question for you......what do you have against 3D printed tools and the APP? You don't limit any other tools to just one thread......back to your pill bottles....

Minerat
10-14-2021, 05:17 PM
You are right I disagree, but I doubt you are sorry about it. I thought the OP was posting in hopes of finding something less boring. The longer you spend depriming the more boring it is. The pill bottle doesn't make the "boring" part any faster.

I erased all my other posts....hope that pleases you.
But one question for you......what do you have against 3D printed tools and the APP? You don't limit any other tools to just one thread......back to your pill bottles....

I never say something I don't mean. I was sorry for the disagreement. As for erasing your other posts, I can't say I am pleased, but it is what it is.

I have absolutely nothing against 3D printing as I am looking into it and know there is a lot to learn. The APP is just another tool to accomplish an end to a means and is neither good or bad as far as I am concerned. If I felt I had a need for one I would buy it. The pill bottle was just a way to keep a tool from causing me problems and I felt other might like to see how I do it.

I have now violated my own request to keep it on topic so I sign off now and on my end this discussion is over. Let's just agree to disagree on this and move on.

Minerat
10-14-2021, 05:18 PM

I profusely apologize and will now go spank my hands.:bigsmyl2:

Liberty1776
10-14-2021, 08:37 PM
Gentlemen! Please! As the OP, I'm seeking -- as Sean Connery said in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade -- "Illumination."

Thanks to you, I have achieved said illumination.

I have a greatly improved Frankford Arsenal hand decapper (thanks to Minerat) AND I discovered an inexpensive Lee APP machine that potentially does what I want done -- 1) fast, easy, automated decapping and 2) removing the factory crimp that ruins more primers than I'd like to admit.

This is why I posted in the first place. I may be two martinis into this post and am rambling, but I'm a happy man and can hardly wait for my new Lee APP stuff to arrive.

I've come so far since I got into reloading with my original single-stage RCBS Rock Chucker in the late 1970's (which I still have and use) in my goal to make reliable reloaded ammo, fast and cheap.

Depriming and removing that stinking factory crimp are the worst of my processes.

You guys -- all of you -- have greatly aided my goals.

Thanks.

P.S. I don't have a 3D printer and have no clear idea what you guys made with them. Perhaps I will understand when my APP arrives and I see devices that I could print.

For now, keep posting. It's all good!

Liberty1776
10-14-2021, 08:48 PM

Not a highjack. This is where threads go.

I simply posited that I use a blister-producing Frankford Arsenal hand decapper while I watch movies.

Minerat pointed out how I can use a pill bottle, which I did, with the mod taking only a few minutes.

Somebody else expanded my view to a much superior machine that does what I really want to do -- the Lee APP -- which was only introduced in 2020 by Lee.

It's all good.

Can't we all get along?

Liberty1776
10-14-2021, 08:50 PM
I profusely apologize and will now go spank my hands.:bigsmyl2:

Don't you dare!

Rfeustel
10-15-2021, 12:41 AM
Not a highjack. This is where threads go.

I simply posited that I use a blister-producing Frankford Arsenal hand decapper while I watch movies.

Minerat pointed out how I can use a pill bottle, which I did, with the mod taking only a few minutes.

Somebody else expanded my view to a much superior machine that does what I really want to do -- the Lee APP -- which was only introduced in 2020 by Lee.

It's all good.

Can't we all get along?

For an even superior machine, check out the Rollsizer Automatic Decapper….