PDA

View Full Version : Where does time go?

swingingblock2520
10-08-2021, 02:21 PM
Today is my youngest daughters birthday,she’s a year old. Woke up this morning,made gravy for Lilly before school,let the dogs out and got her on the bus. I was sitting on the porch having my coffee and thinking,no more like reflecting. My youngest just turned a year old,my oldest will graduate next year,where has the time gone? It seems like only yesterday that I was a nervous first time dad cutting the cord on Evelynn,daughter #1,cristening,first communion,then the surprise of #2,#3 several years later then the surprise of finding out during the pandemic there was going to be another. Mind you doctors told my wife she would never have a child. April of last year I was in a bad accident and that gave me a lot of time to think,and reflect on the fact that all in all I count myself as a pretty lucky guy. Just a little reflection and thought I’d share.

Walks
10-08-2021, 02:23 PM
It goes behind me. Very, very fast.

Smoke4320
10-08-2021, 02:29 PM
Just the other day I was 20. building and racing sports cars. could pull and replace a 4 cylinder engine with a 2 x 4, chain and my arms.
Yesterday I paid a fellow to crawl under the car and install a exhaust sensor. I hurt too bad to do it myself
time flys

swingingblock2520
10-08-2021, 02:39 PM
It does seem to fly by. When my oldest was born I was a 20yrs old,3yrs in to my 5yr apprenticeship and my 66 nova was a daily driver,didn’t take long to figure out that getting a car seat in and out was a real pain lol didn’t take long until my 2000 extended cab dually dodge work truck became the family car lol

Scrounge
10-08-2021, 02:55 PM
Today is my youngest daughters birthday,she’s a year old. Woke up this morning,made gravy for Lilly before school,let the dogs out and got her on the bus. I was sitting on the porch having my coffee and thinking,no more like reflecting. My youngest just turned a year old,my oldest will graduate next year,where has the time gone? It seems like only yesterday that I was a nervous first time dad cutting the cord on Evelynn,daughter #1,cristening,first communion,then the surprise of #2,#3 several years later then the surprise of finding out during the pandemic there was going to be another. Mind you doctors told my wife she would never have a child. April of last year I was in a bad accident and that gave me a lot of time to think,and reflect on the fact that all in all I count myself as a pretty lucky guy. Just a little reflection and thought I’d share.

When my youngest was in Kindergarten, she said "Daddy, the time just seems to be flying by!" I told her to hold on to her hat, it's going to get much faster! She's now 24 years old, working as armed Security at the local airport. I bought her first pistol for last years Christmas present so she'd have something to carry that was reliable, and fit her hands. We tried everything I had, and a couple of rentals, and she settled on the H&K VP9. Took the CLEET class to qualify, passed it easily, and is now a supervisor there, If I understood correctly. I swear that wasn't all that long ago she was a baby in my arms! I'm telling you, man, better hold on to yor hat, too!

Bill

blackthorn
10-08-2021, 06:11 PM
I never fely all that old until----my oldest son said hey Dad you know I will retire in 5 years? Holy Smoke, where did the time go???

swingingblock2520
10-08-2021, 06:38 PM
Blackthorn,I never thought of my oldest as being that old untill about a month ago I got the college fund packet in the mail for Evelynn from the Boilermakers. It’s funny how you never think of them growing up. We were at the farm back in July chopping silage and I asked her if she wanted me to teach her to drive the dump truck and haul silage,she looked at me like I had 6 heads and said duh dad you taught me to drive the dump trucks and tractors when I was 10.

ACC
10-08-2021, 06:40 PM

I ask the same thing. How could my son be 30 already?

ACC

r80rt
10-08-2021, 06:59 PM
My Granddaughter turned 13 yesterday, It's wierd because I only brought her dad home from being born a couple of weeks ago...He claims to be 35 but he must be lying.

Minerat
10-08-2021, 08:59 PM
My granddaughter will graduate high school this year, 50 years after I did. I'm not that old!

kootne
10-08-2021, 09:57 PM
My youngest daughter said I had to pick the song to dance with her at her wedding in 2007.
There was only one song that felt right. Made our eyes "sweat".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg-nxDyJXwM

GhostHawk
10-08-2021, 10:16 PM
You ain't seen nothin yet. Wait till you get on the wrong side of 60.

Finster101
10-08-2021, 10:27 PM
Just the other day I was 20. building and racing sports cars. could pull and replace a 4 cylinder engine with a 2 x 4, chain and my arms.
Yesterday I paid a fellow to crawl under the car and install a exhaust sensor. I hurt too bad to do it myself
time flys

That's because you did all that when you were twenty. Don't ask me how I know.

wv109323
10-08-2021, 10:29 PM
Monday ,I will have dinner with grandson on his 21st birthday. It was just yesterday I was at the hospital and he was red faced and a head of black hair.

Nazgul
10-09-2021, 06:05 AM
Had 3 daughters, grand daughter is in college now. Seems yesterday I was changing diapers.

Remember the Marines and humping a pack 20 miles in the heat, working heavy equipment for 38 years and staying up all night goofing off. Yesterday I filled out the paperwork for a handicapped plate, arthritis has taken a lot of movement away.

Approaching 70 I have to say I would do it all over again. Feel blessed to have able to do all this. My Swedish Grandma used to say "It is better to wear out than rust out!!"

Don

bedbugbilly
10-09-2021, 09:51 AM
Seems like the older you get, the faster the time goes. I would like to think I'm still 18 - when I look at my lovely wife, I still see the bride I married when we were both 19, but 50 years of sand have passed through the hourglass since that day.

We get so tied up in the day to day things and time flies much to swiftly. It's a good thing for a person to sit with a cup of coffee - enjoy the scenery you have and reflect on things. It allows a person to realize just how lucky they are and it can be a reminder of the things in life that are really important.

You cnn't "stop" time - but you can live each minute to the fullest . . . . enjoy your family and friends . . . let those you love know it each day . . . and above all, each day, find a moment of quiet time to have a little talk with God and give thanks for the Blessings He has given you.

swingingblock2520 - sounds to me like you are Blessed with a good family . . . . and in return, they are also Blessed to have you.

Shawlerbrook
10-09-2021, 09:55 AM
Amen ! Always reminds me of this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f0p5KqdU9U

10x
10-11-2021, 09:44 AM
Yesterday I was young, had hopes and dreams. now Valdy sums it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bevf5EVVQfI

sharps4590
10-11-2021, 09:59 AM
I understand, completely. Had my oldest son stayed in the Marine Corps he could have retired....20 years ago. Three weeks ago we had my 50th high school graduation reunion. As Dad always said, "Son, you ain't seen nuthin' yet."

jonp
10-11-2021, 04:58 PM
It goes too fast, always stop to smell the roses.

DocSavage
10-11-2021, 10:58 PM
Hard to believe been married 41 yrs and 10 yrs ago I retired. Time flies when your having fun

762 shooter
10-12-2021, 06:18 AM
I seem to be a 18 year old trapped in a 70 year old body.

wch
10-12-2021, 07:11 AM
Time goes in a "blink".

swingingblock2520
10-16-2021, 02:53 AM
Seems like the older you get, the faster the time goes. I would like to think I'm still 18 - when I look at my lovely wife, I still see the bride I married when we were both 19, but 50 years of sand have passed through the hourglass since that day.

We get so tied up in the day to day things and time flies much to swiftly. It's a good thing for a person to sit with a cup of coffee - enjoy the scenery you have and reflect on things. It allows a person to realize just how lucky they are and it can be a reminder of the things in life that are really important.

You cnn't "stop" time - but you can live each minute to the fullest . . . . enjoy your family and friends . . . let those you love know it each day . . . and above all, each day, find a moment of quiet time to have a little talk with God and give thanks for the Blessings He has given you.

swingingblock2520 - sounds to me like you are Blessed with a good family . . . . and in return, they are also Blessed to have you.

For many years I was as guilty as a man could be for putting my career before my family&friends,my wife knew the deal when she married a 3rd generation dairyman and she was fine with that. She grew up on a farm too so she understood that that my cows would always comes first. My father remarried when I was 17 and convinced the old man that he shouldn’t leave the farm to me,so when he said he was retiring I stayed on until I graduated. I had a friend who’s dad was a Boilermaker,I was able to get an apprenticeship in stationary boiler service/installation. Long story short I went from being 25min from home 6hrs a day to being going 7-14 days at a time when I was on a travel job.

It took me almost losing my life April 2 2020 to realize that there are more important things than the job in life.
My wife never complained about anything but looking back it was very unfair to her and our daughters.