PDA

View Full Version : For our cat lovers.

Ithaca Gunner
10-08-2021, 01:22 PM
I much prefer dogs, but even I thought this worthy of sharing.

swingingblock2520
10-08-2021, 01:25 PM
That’s especially accurate of torties lol

Scrounge
10-08-2021, 02:12 PM
I much prefer dogs, but even I thought this worthy of sharing.

I am one of those weird folks who like both cats and dogs. A house is not a home without a harmless, necessary cat, or two. Or three... Does help to have them declawed when kittens, if you love the woodwork in your house, though. Must also have at least one dog. A dog is the only love money can buy. Get them young, treat them half-decently, and barring illness or injury, they will love you unreservedly. They also make a good alarm system. Cats you need to put a little more effort into it, but they can be most supportive, too. They also tend to cuddle better than the 90lb dog. ;)

Bill

condorjohn
10-08-2021, 03:09 PM
click to enlarge

Poygan
10-08-2021, 03:40 PM
I have been volunteering at a no-kill animal shelter for eleven years as of next month. We strongly recommend people do NOT declaw their cats! Here are some of the reasons: 1) cats use their claws to defend themselves 2) cats walk on their front paws 3) cat may develop an adversion to using the litter box because of the pain they experience after the declawing 4) it is more than declawing, it is removing the toes at the first joint.
Not all cats will develop problems after declawing but it is a nasty surgical procedure which is unnecessary. One of our cats was declawed before we rescued him but the other five have not been declawed. He is extremely shy which may or may not be a result of his declawing.
Declawing is illegal in Europe and in many of the stateside states. I respectively suggest you check into this issue and see what you determine for yourself.

sav300
10-08-2021, 06:38 PM
People who declaw cats,should have their finger nails removed too!

Red River Rick
10-08-2021, 07:11 PM

I couldn't agree more! How else can they defend themselves?

Rick

OS OK
10-08-2021, 08:12 PM

People who think this way should be prohibited from owning any type of an animal! "GRRRRRRR! Don't let me get started about this!"

Outpost75
10-08-2021, 11:52 PM
Agree that declawing is cruel. It's easy to keep claws trimmed. Have your vet tech show you how or just have the vet do it for you monthly. Fur kids can be trained to not claw the furniture. Give them their own scratching post and reward them for using it.

contender1
10-09-2021, 09:46 AM
I was going to comment on the declawing as well. But seeing the posts above,,, I think it's been covered mostly. I will add; Several items they are allowed to scratch upon, and a litter box for each cat. We have 4 litter boxes. No problems there. We have 3 scratching posts of various shapes,,, minimal issues,, and those are easily corrected.

The OP,,, excellent post. We just adopted a new kitten here,, and he's a ball of fun.

We have 3 other cats,, and figured one in particular would have issues. Well, that one accepted the kitten the quickest.

bakerjw
10-09-2021, 10:34 AM
I take a 2x4 about 2' long, staple carpet to it and attach it to a doorway. Might look tacky but the cats love it and use it as a way to declare their territory.