PDA

View Full Version : Chronograph reader ?

Wolfdog91
10-08-2021, 11:45 AM
Question. I see some chronographs have a lil dokicky attached to them that saves the shot string give you an average and you standard deviation. Wanted to know do anyone make one of these that's kinda modular with other chronograph? I have a calwell that's plugs I to my phone with a 25ft aux cord and it works..... somtimes. Would really like one of these little deals . Any help ?

ryanmattes
10-08-2021, 12:01 PM
Looks like the Caldwell only has the phone app for data collection. Likely each company has their own proprietary format for the data, so you couldn't make one device that talks to them all.

One thing the magnetospeed does well is it has a nice little data collection unit that works really well. Shoot as much as you want, push a button to start new groups, pack it all up and go home. Later you can scroll through the sets at your leisure, and it gives you min, max, extreme spread standard deviation, etc. It also stores it all on an SD card, so you can pull it out and load it on your computer if you want.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

rkrcpa
10-08-2021, 12:19 PM
I've always just used pencil and paper at the range, but, I'm old (school).

Mk42gunner
10-08-2021, 02:31 PM
Me too, but my Chrony (bought used) is so old that it came with fiber board aiming guides.

Robert

rkrcpa
10-08-2021, 05:57 PM
Me too, but my Chrony (bought used) is so old that it came with fiber board aiming guides.

Robert

Mine came that way new but I upgraded to the sticks after one too many close calls. It still works just fine for my purposes.

Kraschenbirn
10-08-2021, 07:46 PM
My old Chrony Alpha has remote readout and does all the calculations (shot string, max spread, SD, avg vel.) but doesn't save the data. I just keep a notebook in the carrying case and record the numbers along with date, load data, and which gun I was using for test. IIRC Chrony, at one time, did offer software and a USB adapter so you could download onto a laptop to save data but since they closed their doors, I doubt if it's still available.

Bill

Mk42gunner
10-08-2021, 08:50 PM
Mine seemed to drain the 9V batteries pretty fast, so I kept a new two pack in the tackle box that I stored it and the tripod in.

I also had one milk carton of .22's that I shot out of the same rifle first every time I set it up, just to make sure it felt like working that day, and was reasonably close to nominal. IIRC that particular box usually ran about 1280 fps.

Robert

Liberty1776
10-08-2021, 10:23 PM
I am very pleased with the Caldwell G2 Chronograph.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016955798

It is rechargeable and goes a long time.

It has Bluetooth connectivity back to my iPhone -- no cords -- and is fairly reliable. Lots of data captured. Calculates velocity, foot/pounds of energy and power factor based on bullet weight. Room for notes and you can even take a picture with the phone that associates with your target or other test items.

The tripod it comes with is too light in my opinion, so I use a heavier duty tripod I already owned. Also, a ball leveling head lets me level the unit faster.

BJK
10-09-2021, 05:29 PM
I understand that you already have a chrono' and I apologize for suggesting a chrono' that will do everything you want and then some. It has capabilities that no skyscreen unit has but also can't do some things that a skyscreen unit can. But since having mine I have thought for even a second to set up my CED unit. It sets up in minutes and can be used in the rain covered with a clear poly bag. Use the separate power unit they sell, or get your own. I did the latter. I have never regretted the power cells purchase or the purchase of the Labradar.

Yeah, I know it's expensive, but if you use a chrono' a lot it's worth every penny.

It saves data in .CSV format so many spreadsheets can import it directly. Mine can't but I just open the text file with Notepad and replace all the semicolons with commas (find and replace function) and I'm in business.

https://mylabradar.com/product/chronograph/

Tips:
Choose the velocity window correctly or get funky data.
Don't get it or the power cell wet, but poly bags are inexpensive. So far mine has been "rained on" twice protected by a thin poly bag. Don't get the unit itself wet. Yes, I checked with the Labradar people and they gave the poly bag trick.
Get a sim card for it. Then plug the sim card into your computer to work on the data. Is a sim card required? No. But to save data it is.

There is also a phone app for it but since I don't have a smart phone I can't help there.

I absolutely LOVE(!) my Labradar!

The manual is online.

gwpercle
10-09-2021, 05:57 PM

What's a ... pencil ... I'm not sure my smart-ass cell phone has an app for that .

metricmonkeywrench
10-09-2021, 08:36 PM
Competition Electronics now has it all integrated and the phone app is real nice, lets you export to different formats or just a pdf. Mines a little older with the discontinued adaptor. I would not hesitate to buy another.

https://www.competitionelectronics.com/shooting-products/chronographs/

Papercidal
10-09-2021, 11:30 PM
The competition electronics unit works really well and has a great app that allows yo to save shot strings with load data listed 290004

rkrcpa
10-10-2021, 08:25 AM

When I get home from the range I use Excel to make the relevant calculations and memorialize the results.

https://i.imgur.com/HshjFOD.jpg

Wolfdog91
10-10-2021, 01:42 PM
What's a ... pencil ... I'm not sure my smart-ass cell phone has an app for that .

It's a pain trying to do load development with a semi auto ,shoot stop ,write shot stop write, re adjust on the gun again and a gain not really a problem if I'm buy my self but when their 5 other people at my little public range have to wait for me extra long because I'm writing it kinda a pain. Like being able to just shooting my string not have to re adjust after every shot and it's just quicker

Wolfdog91
10-10-2021, 01:43 PM
I understand that you already have a chrono' and I apologize for suggesting a chrono' that will do everything you want and then some. It has capabilities that no skyscreen unit has but also can't do some things that a skyscreen unit can. But since having mine I have thought for even a second to set up my CED unit. It sets up in minutes and can be used in the rain covered with a clear poly bag. Use the separate power unit they sell, or get your own. I did the latter. I have never regretted the power cells purchase or the purchase of the Labradar.

Yeah, I know it's expensive, but if you use a chrono' a lot it's worth every penny.

It saves data in .CSV format so many spreadsheets can import it directly. Mine can't but I just open the text file with Notepad and replace all the semicolons with commas (find and replace function) and I'm in business.

Tips:
Don't get it or the power cell wet, but poly bags are inexpensive. So far mine has been "rained on" twice protected by a thin poly bag. Don't get the unit itself wet. Yes, I checked with the Labradar people and they gave the poly bag trick.
Get a sim card for it. Then plug the sim card into your computer to work on the data. Is a sim card required? No. But to save data it is.

There is also a phone app for it but since I don't have a smart phone I can't help there.

The manual is online.

One of these days I'll have the $$$

popper
10-10-2021, 01:54 PM
I have a Chrony model(no longer in business) I used for rifle, no 'recording' so I used binos to read the screen and wrote down the numbers. Go home and do the calc. got a Magnetospeed now (rarely use either) Save to a card I can plug into the computer. Labradar is neat but much more $ than I need to spend. Fps numbers are good for working up a load and validating terminal performance for your load. ES is more important to me than SD. Like a ten shot group vs a 3 shot one.

10x
10-11-2021, 09:34 AM

Tips:

The manual is online.

Understated.
Let B***S*** to set up.
Shot strings stay in memory
And you never shoot the screens

Mal Paso
10-12-2021, 06:58 PM
It's a pain trying to do load development with a semi auto ,shoot stop ,write shot stop write, re adjust on the gun again and a gain not really a problem if I'm buy my self but when their 5 other people at my little public range have to wait for me extra long because I'm writing it kinda a pain. Like being able to just shooting my string not have to re adjust after every shot and it's just quicker

How long ago did you download the app? The one I downloaded last month from Caldwell has automatic recording of the strings, does ALL the math you could want and records temperature, elevation and location if your phone supports it.

Just remember to hit Start on your phone. I shot a couple 10 round strings and got nada because I didn't hit start.

It even gives you time between shots and power factor. If they left something out I didn't see it.

Mal Paso
10-12-2021, 10:51 PM
Something I PMed Wolfdog91 is the app uses the microphone input on the phone. It shares the plug with the earphone output and if it's not fully seated, it won't work well. I had to shave a little plastic to get a plug to work with an Otter Box case.

samari46
10-13-2021, 12:04 AM
I'm a dinosaur. Have an Olehr (spelling?) 35P that prints out all the info that I need. Three skyscreens one of which is a proof screen. with the supplied bar I mount it on an old camera tripod. Frank

jonp
10-17-2021, 12:17 PM
How long ago did you download the app? The one I downloaded last month from Caldwell has automatic recording of the strings, does ALL the math you could want and records temperature, elevation and location if your phone supports it.

Just remember to hit Start on your phone. I shot a couple 10 round strings and got nada because I didn't hit start.

It even gives you time between shots and power factor. If they left something out I didn't see it.

Mine does that, too. I can also take the data and use my HP Printer phone app and print it out so it's sitting there on paper when I get home. Great time saver although I do save the data online also. I'm just old enough that I like to look at the data on a piece of paper and keep it in a binder.

If I remember right I got my Caldwell on sale for $99? I think that was the price. Rechargeable battery does ok but I use it mostly in the backyard with an extension cord.