PDA

View Full Version : Electrolysis and Electronic bore cleaner ?

Omega
10-07-2021, 02:07 PM
I have been playing with both, electrolysis rust removal, and electronic bore cleaning methods and have a question someone may be able to answer. With electrolysis, you place the negative on the piece you are trying to get the rust off of (cathode), and the positive on the sacrificial metal (anode). https://www.wwgoa.com/video/electrolysis-rust-removal/# With the electronic bore cleaner, you put the negative on the rod (cathode), and the positive on the weapon (anode). http://www.zoneballistic.com/colinsballistics/borecleaner.html The same goes when electroplating, the negative goes to the piece receiving the plating (cathode), and positive on the metal you are using as the plating medium (anode), say copper, tin etc.
So electrons go from negative, to the positive, so it makes sense to me that when that happens, on the electrolysis rust removal method, it takes the rust with it and sticks it to the sacrificial metal. But how does that work with the electronic bore cleaner? At first I thought that maybe they guys had the wires mixed up, but the Outers Foul out system has the same setup. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014811888 These methods work obviously, but just trying to wrap my head around the how of things. In the bore cleaner, why doesn't the fouling flow from the negative (rod) to the positive (bore)? I may be mixing my terminology too, as most call the rod in the bore cleaner an electrode instead of cathode but the "how" should be the same no?

Winger Ed.
10-07-2021, 02:11 PM
It works on the same principal as electro plating.
Read up on the process a little, and all your questions will be answered.

I'm not sure which pole is which concerning the anode & cathode.
A buddy used to get old cast Iron frying pans and did the electrolisis thing in a plastic trash can with a battery charger.
He was getting frustrated because it didn't work,,,,, until he switched the polarity on his terminals.

I remember when those electric bore cleaners were the rage.
Sure they work to get out all the Copper, however:

Some folks said they worked so well you had to re-break in or season a barrel after you did it.
The general consensus was that they worked too well for just the average shooters to use very often.

Omega
10-07-2021, 02:24 PM
It works on the same principal as electro plating.
Read up on the process a little, and all your questions will be answered.

I'm not sure which pole is which concerning the anode & cathode.
A buddy used to get old cast Iron frying pans and did the electrolisis thing in a plastic trash can with a battery charger.
He was getting frustrated because it didn't work,,,,, until he switched the polarity on his terminals.

I remember when those electric bore cleaners were the rage.
Sure they work to get out all the Copper, however:

Some folks said they worked so well you had to re-break in or season a barrel after you did it.
The general consensus was that they worked too well for just the average shooters to use very often.

Yea, mentioned electroplating, the negative gets the plating, while the positive gives up the metal, the same for the bore cleaner. On the rust removal, the negative gives up the metal (rust), and the positive receives it. Seems the two should flow the same, but I guess I am missing something.

Winger Ed.
10-07-2021, 02:31 PM
Seems the two should flow the same, but I guess I am missing something.

Yeah, when all them little 'trons get to running around, they sort of have a mind of their own.:bigsmyl2:

upr45
10-07-2021, 02:51 PM
i bought one of the electronic bore cleaners several years ago. It worked well, however the foaming bore cleaners work better in my opinion.

Petander
10-09-2021, 01:47 PM
Outers Foul Out was/is a good system. You get all the lead out the easy way.

I just didn't buy enough of the lead solution, copper I didn't use much.

10x
10-11-2021, 09:39 AM
Household ammonia seems to work extremely well
Used them all over the past 60 years and settled on household ammonia and "Brake KleenŽ"