PDA

View Full Version : Benjamin ?

Digger
10-06-2021, 01:12 PM
Years back when I was a kid ..
Had a 22 cal Benjamin pump , so enjoyed that piece .
Brought home quail for dinner many times .
What is out there on the market now that is basically the same gun ?
Just curious as to what is available .
Thank you

Winger Ed.
10-06-2021, 01:33 PM
The Benjamin 392S is pretty much the same one as we had as kids.

The stock looks more fancy, and they're a couple hundred dollars now instead of the $35 I paid for mine in 1968.

RoyEllis
10-06-2021, 01:33 PM
Benjamin 392S, synthetic stocked model of your old favorite. You might find a wood stock 392 Classic on evilbay, but depending on condition and parts replacement cost, it might be a wash monetarily.

Digger
10-06-2021, 09:10 PM
thank you much gentlemen !

Winger Ed.
10-06-2021, 09:13 PM
If you can get a older one, parts are still available.

My 1968 model wouldn't hold a charge a few years ago.
I dug around and found a guy in Greenville, Texas that sold rebuild kits for them.

It might be my imagination, but with the new pump seals, each pump seems to push in more air than it did when it was new.
I can't remember what the kit cost, but it seemed like it was around $15-20 bucks.

fastdadio
10-06-2021, 09:16 PM
Here ya go;
https://www.pyramydair.com/product/benjamin-variable-pump-air-rifle-black?m=4869#9745

chutesnreloads
10-06-2021, 09:18 PM
Just recently got a 392. Mine is finicky on pellets it likes but is really good with ones it does. Since getting it, I've
learned the newer Benjis are essentially a Sheridan. Remember them and Benjamin were bought up by Crosman
Also learned the Sheridans were essentially improved Benjamins and Crosman now has combined into the "new" 392

Winger Ed.
10-06-2021, 09:25 PM
. Remember them and Benjamin were bought up by Crosman
Also learned the Sheridans were essentially improved Benjamins and Crosman now has combined into the "new" 392

If ya back up a little farther, Benjamin bought out Sheridan.
That's how the later Sheridans got improved.
I never checked, but I wondered if they did away with the weird 20-21 caliber the old Sheridans had.

clodhopper
10-06-2021, 11:55 PM
The 5 mm air guns still have fans.

GhostHawk
10-07-2021, 07:30 AM
Yes they do! I'm one, I have a pair of Sheridan streaks.

The first one I bought back in the early 70's.
Bought a backup some 5 years ago off gunbroker for what seemed pretty reasonable to me at the time.
Got it for less than that Benjy Pyramid air is selling.

Last night I dug out my old Benjy 1322 with steel breech and pic rail. Dropped a Red Dot sight on it and got it roughly sited in.
Last 3 shots were touching at 25 feet. It has the carbine stock on it also. Great way to shoot some .22 CPHP's in the basement.
2 pumps is plenty for close range target work.

Takes a very good rifle to beat the old Sheridan Blue streak though.

square butte
10-07-2021, 10:48 AM
There was someone doing a high performance rebuild for the older Sheridan/Bejamins - Anyone know who that is? I've got one that needs some work

chutesnreloads
10-07-2021, 06:58 PM
Sounds like MAC1 http://www.mac1airgunshop.com/

15meter
10-09-2021, 10:36 PM
If ya back up a little farther, Benjamin bought out Sheridan.
That's how the later Sheridans got improved.
I never checked, but I wondered if they did away with the weird 20-21 caliber the old Sheridans had.

Hey!

Don't call us Silver Streak shooters wierd!

I won multiple air rifle matches with my wierd .20 'Streak. Beat some pretty high buck PCP's along the way.

Feinwerkbau kind of stuff.

It did help some the other guys weren't real good shots:bigsmyl2:

JM7.7x58
10-09-2021, 11:34 PM
I practice off hand shooting in my basement with my Sheridan. I paid $7.00 for it at a garage sale. Now what isn’t cheap about it are the 5mm/20cal pellets it uses. I’ve bought over a $100.00 in ammo for it since getting the rifle almost for free.

For practice .177” would be cheaper. For hunting .22 cal pellets are s available at most sporting goods stores.

I’m very happy with my Sheridan, but I wouldn’t buy a .20 cal again.

Bent Ramrod
10-10-2021, 10:37 AM
I used some of the pump-up air rifles I’ve accumulated to thin the ground squirrel population and discourage them from digging under my buildings. I always seemed to get more one-shot stops with the 5mms out of the Silver Streak than the round- or flat-nose Diabolo .177s or 22s from the Benjamin Franklins. I don’t think the velocities were all that different, but those little bullets seem to hit harder.

I look for those partially-filled square yellow plastic boxes at gun shows, yard sales and swap meets, and snarf up all I can find for cheep. Beeman’s used to sell .20 cal versions of their specialty pellets. Since they went out of business, I don’t know if someone else is selling them anymore or not.

dverna
10-10-2021, 11:47 AM
I used some of the pump-up air rifles I’ve accumulated to thin the ground squirrel population and discourage them from digging under my buildings. I always seemed to get more one-shot stops with the 5mms out of the Silver Streak than the round- or flat-nose Diabolo .177s or 22s from the Benjamin Franklins. I don’t think the velocities were all that different, but those little bullets seem to hit harder.

I look for those partially-filled square yellow plastic boxes at gun shows, yard sales and swap meets, and snarf up all I can find for cheep. Beeman’s used to sell .20 cal versions of their specialty pellets. Since they went out of business, I don’t know if someone else is selling them anymore or not.

Buy 3 get one free promo:

https://www.pyramydair.com/ammo?calibers=0_2

Merc41
10-10-2021, 06:21 PM
The Benjamin 392S is pretty much the same one as we had as kids.

The stock looks more fancy, and they're a couple hundred dollars now instead of the $35 I paid for mine in 1968.

Hi Winger Ed. Just thought you would be interested to know that the $35 bucks you spent in 1968 for your Benjamin would be worth $275.14 in todays money.
So, I guess a couple hundred bucks isn't that bad after all.