PDA

View Full Version : Optics on pistol cal.levers?

Yooper003
10-06-2021, 11:16 AM
I just purchased a Henry lever in 44 mag. My 84 yr. eyes demand an optic of some kind. Thinking red dot of some kind but can’t decide what.I don’t want to spend 1000$, more like 150 to 200$ I do have cheap reflex & tube type both ,just to play with but want something better on this gun.I have looked at the 1x6 type but the good ones all seem to be in the 1200 to 1500$ range. Did find a couple Round 300$ but brands I never heard of.would appreciate anyone’s thoughts or advice.

cwtebay
10-06-2021, 11:45 AM
There are a number of excellent red dots that won't break the bank. My best one is a vortex venom that lives on an FN Five Seven. It's by no stretch fancy, but it's easy for my eye to pick up, simple to adjust the dot size, and has been very durable and reliable. I received it as a gift from a client, so I'm not sure that I would have picked it out of a line up.
I have a VERY cheap one on a Hi Point carbine that also fits the bill for what it's for. I don't recall the brand, but it was around $30.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

dverna
10-06-2021, 11:48 AM
I have used a fixed 4x scope on my lever action pistol caliber carbines for load testing. Should be plenty for hunting and plinking and not too expensive.

I have a Sig Romeo 5 that I plan to put on a 9mm carbine and it was well under $200.

TjB101
10-06-2021, 11:51 AM
For my older eyes a red dot has been a great addition to my levers. A Bushnell TRS25 or a baseline Sig Romeo will work perfectly. No need to break the bank.

ABJ
10-06-2021, 01:00 PM
For my Bullseye league the Ultra dots are 95% of the line. The other 5% are Aimpoint and Sigs. Most of these are slide mounted so I know they can take a beating. Last time I checked the basic Ultra was $200 give or take. I have had two of mine for over 10 years without so much as a hiccup. I would not hesitate to put one on a levergun.
Tony

NSB
10-06-2021, 02:17 PM
I put a red dot on a Winchester 1886 in 45-70 just to see what it would do. I could get some very, very good groups with it at my camp range of 114 yards. I’m talking around 1.5” for five shots. It was super easy to pick up with the eyes and easy to shoot. I took it off to put back on the handgun I took it off of. I can tell you for a fact it’s easy to use and shoots as good as most scopes (consider it’s a lever gun in 45-70…..I think that’s pretty decent). It was a Burris FF3. I have a Vortex Venom also. They’re about equal in quality and price, around two to two-fifty and each has a lifetime guarantee.

littlejack
10-06-2021, 02:41 PM
NSB
I've been considering putting a Viper optic on my Winchester 94AE Trapper. Is there a particular base that will use the factory mounting screw placement on the receiver?

cwtebay
10-06-2021, 03:09 PM
Burris Fast Fire mounts come in an assortment of configurations and are compatible with the Venom.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

robertbank
10-06-2021, 04:39 PM
I just put a Vortex Sparc11 on my Marlin 1894/ Seem like it works ok. I have a cataract on my right eye so I get a bit of halo effect. Once I get the eye fixed up it will be a lot better. Nice thing with the Sparc is the dot is fixed. All my 9MM carbines wear Vortex red dots on them. They work well and the lifetime guaranty is a nice feature.

Take Care

Bob

NSB
10-06-2021, 04:42 PM
NSB
I've been considering putting a Venom optic on my Winchester 94AE Trapper. Is there a particular base that will use the factory mounting screw placement on the receiver?
I used a Turnbull mount that is made just for this purpose. https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/product-category/the-showroom/turnbull-merchandise/fastfire-mounts/

pietro
10-06-2021, 05:40 PM
NSB
I've been considering putting a Venom optic on my Winchester 94AE Trapper. Is there a particular base that will use the factory mounting screw placement on the receiver?

There's several different companies that make scope mount bases for the Winchester 94AE - just google "Winchester 94ae scope mounts"

Here's one from Weaver: https://www.weaveroptics.com/bases/steel-dovetail-bases/steel-winchester-94ae-dovetail-base/WV-48944.html

Wheelguns 1961
10-06-2021, 05:52 PM
I am an ultradot fan. This is a tube type dot. I have one on my 45 colt 1894. I have also had good luck with the vortex venom. These are mostly used for hunting, and the ultradot shines for a couple reasons. If there is a light drizzle, the lens on the tube type dot doesn’t get wet as easily. Also, during low light times, the ultradot will dim more than the vortex venom. This gives you a much smaller, more defined dot. I still like the vortex venoms, but I use them mostly at the range.

Texas by God
10-06-2021, 06:18 PM
I like the Burris FastFire3. I've used it on my .41 Blackhawk and currently I'm using it on my AR .300BO with great results. $250 or so I think.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

JSnover
10-07-2021, 08:27 AM
http://www.skinnersights.com/skinner-optics.html

Yooper003
10-07-2021, 11:41 AM
For my older eyes a red dot has been a great addition to my levers. A Bushnell TRS25 or a baseline Sig Romeo will work perfectly. No need to break the bank.
Yes I had seen that video, it looks great, best of both worlds. I had hoped someone had one of these & could give a review.

http://www.skinnersights.com/skinner-optics.html

robertbank
10-07-2021, 11:54 AM
Is that Skinner scope made in China? I have a Leupold knock-off out of China. The jury is out as to whether the thing will hold zero or not. I would assume the Skinner is much better quality. The way Chinese products are priced you never know if you are paying to much or they are great value.

Take Care

Bob

sghart3578
10-07-2021, 12:44 PM
Does the Skinner scope have a 30mm tube?

Steve in N CA

centershot
10-07-2021, 01:38 PM
I use Leupold 1-4x muzzle loader scopes with heavy crosshairs on my leverguns. Set at 1-1/2 or 2x while hunting or plinking they work great! Move up to 4x for load testing and zeroing, no problem! They are small, lightweight and as unobtrusive as a cope can be on a pistol caliber carbine.

Now, I have been a diabetic for 63 years, I'm now 67 and my vision isn't what it was when I was 20. I can still drive but laser scars have taken their toll on my ability to shoot small groups. No iron sights for me anymore! Recently I bought a reaslly nice air rifle, a Weirauch 95. One of the recommended scopes was the Hawke Vantage IR series. I put a 3-9x on the rifle and went shooting. Oh my! What beautiful glass! I can't say enough about this scope, it's been great. And, it has an illuminated reticle, red or green, your choice. Exploring Hawke's website, I found they state that these scopes are for use on ALL calibers and have a lifetime warranty. If it will stand up to the recoil of a hunting class springer air rifle, it should stand up to just about anything. I'm going to pu another 3-9 on my '06 soon. Give a look!

https://www.airgundepot.com/hawke-optics-vantage-ir-2-7x32-ao-rifle-scope.html

https://www.airgundepot.com/hawke-crossbow-scope-xb1.html

Jack Stanley
10-07-2021, 03:54 PM
I have an Ultradot on my 357 carbine , it's been there for years and works very well .

Jack

meh
10-07-2021, 03:54 PM
The biggest problem with the Henry rifles is getting an optic low enough that you don't lose your cheek weld. You can get a cheek pad, of course, and then it doesn't matter so much, but the solution I came up with, a pad that you could insert different thickness inserts into, just didn't look very elegant. There was a leather buttstock cover that I bought online that was pretty nice, but it was a little too high, actually. I'm just saying that if you like a rifle set up so you can get a good cheek weld or take a well-aimed snap shot, then the drop at the comb of a Henry Big Boy is something to deal with.

Skinner makes a minimalist mounting plate to put a Leupold Deltapoint Pro reflex sight on a Henry Big Boy rifle. Probably it fits some other reflex sights. I haven't tried them since I actually had a Deltapoint Pro. I've since gone back to the Skinner Express peep sight, but it did work fine. Looks a lot like NSB's solution on the Winchester above.

To get a rail-mounted scope or red dot down as low as possible on a Big Boy Steel, Ranger Point Precision makes a nice rail. The standard Henry rails are elevated because the brass receiver Big Boys require it to clear a raised part of the receiver where the barrel screws in.

dverna
10-07-2021, 08:10 PM
Is that Skinner scope made in China? I have a Leupold knock-off out of China. The jury is out as to whether the thing will hold zero or not. I would assume the Skinner is much better quality. The way Chinese products are priced you never know if you are paying to much or they are great value.

Take Care

Bob

A red flag was it has a 5 year warranty. Most have a lifetime warranty that is transferable. I would not buy that scope.

JSnover
10-08-2021, 08:55 AM
I haven't tried the Skinner optic but Andy Larssen is pretty good at answering emails and I'm in another online group where some of his customers have been pretty happy with his scope.

littlejack
10-12-2021, 10:22 PM
So I decided to switch from mounting the Vortex Viper, to mounting a Vortex Spark ll. I had both lying around, so at least I didnt have to spring for more money and an optic. I went to a local department store with a sporting section, and bought a Weaver front mount for my 94AE Trapper. Just finished cleaning the oil from the tapped holes in the receiver, and using blue lock-tight on the mounting screws to hold the mount. The optic hangs over the ejection port about .5, but doesn't hinder the ejection of the empty 45 Colt cases. I'm leaving town tomorrow until Saturday. When I get back I'll load up some rounds and give a range report.

robertbank
10-13-2021, 12:29 PM
So I decided to switch from mounting the Vortex Viper, to mounting a Vortex Fastfire ll. I had both lying around, so at least I didnt have to spring for more money and an optic. I went to a local department store with a sporting section and bought a Weaver front mount for my 94AE Trapper. Just finished cleaning the oil from the tapped holes in the receiver, and using blue lock-tight on the mounting screws to hold the mount. The optic hangs over the ejection port about .5, but doesn't hinder the ejection of the empty 45 Colt cases. I'm leaving town tomorrow until Saturday. When I get back I'll load up some rounds and give a range report.
That would be a Burris Fastfire 11 I think.

Take Care

Bob

farmbif
10-13-2021, 01:11 PM
the red dots are nice but I dont completely trust anything with electronics and batteries. I put leupold 2-7 or vortex on lever guns that I would take out in the woods to kill something with. maybe its just my luck with Murphys law, when something can go wrong for me it usually does.
but I became a true believer in the Burris fast fire when they first came out got one and just for fun put it on a 10-22. plinking at the range after zeroing it at 100 yards. a little bird came and landed on the target frame. without even really thinking about it I had the red dot on bird and in blink of an eye it was big puff of feathers. they are very easy to sight targets very fast

littlejack
10-13-2021, 02:03 PM
Oops, my bad Bob. Glad you caught that. I stated the manufacturer (Vortex) correct, but it is the Spark ll red dot. "Correction made" I have one of those on my 45 acp JRC. Works great.
farmbif:
Yes, there are pros and cons on the red dots and scopes.

robertbank
10-13-2021, 02:07 PM
Oops, my bad Bob. Glad you caught that. I stated the manufacturer (Vortex) correct, but it is the Spark ll red dot. I have one of those on my 45 acp JRC. Works great.
farmbif:
Yes, there are pros and cons on the red dots.

I spend half my time correcting my spelting when I post. LOL I have the Sparc11 on my 1894 as well. Very fast target acquisition.

Take Care

Bob

littlejack
10-13-2021, 03:43 PM
Thanks Bob, that's encouraging.

winelover
10-14-2021, 06:31 AM
Had the original SPARC on my 357 Rossi carbine. Recently, changed it to the Sig Romeo 5 because of the shake to awake feature. For load testing I use a Vortex Scout 2x7 in QD mounts. My 1894 wears a Leopold 1.5x5 with a lighted reticle.

Winelover

upr45
10-14-2021, 09:49 AM
I have 2 Marlin 1894's -a 357 & a 44. For the Marlin XS makes a scout rail setup, and I have the older version with standard XS peep in rear scope mount holes and forward scope holes is rear of scout rail. Most of the time the peeps are used. I have a Burris scout on the 357 and a Leupold scout on the 44, I actually like the Burris better - just my preference. They are mounted with Leupold QRW rings which allows the scopes to come off in about 2 sec and go back on in about 8 sec. Not sure what prices are today?

robg
10-14-2021, 12:01 PM
i use a cheap AGS scope on my 357 win trapper working fine for the past 20 years .tried a ghost ring and larger front sight but couldn't see the front sight unless i was in strong sunlight.

Bigslug
10-16-2021, 10:50 AM
I have been very impressed with Holosun for duty guns - from the two perspectives of (1.) they thought of just about everything you'd want in a field combat optic and (2.) in the couple instances where we did need service, they were Johnny on the Spot getting it resolved. There are several agencies and industry "Gurus" out there who specialize in systematically torture-testing red dots to see what breaks, and the Holosuns consistently land near the top of the heap.

The 507C is probably your best bang for buck in a pistol optic. The 509T is an enclosed emitter design that might be preferable for field use. I went from the former to the latter on my Glock and moved the 507 over to my Ruger MKII where the dust and grime of CCW life is not a factor. Both have a 2MOA aiming dot and 1MOA W & E adjustment increments.

I mounted a Holosun HS515CM "tube type" red dot on my Ruger 9mm carbine & it's the bee's knees. Clear glass, clear lens caps even, and solar backup to the crazy-long battery life. That gets you into a 1/2 MOA adjustment system more appropriate to a rifle. You'll want to remove the AR-15 riser from the base to get its height down on your levergun.

littlejack
10-21-2021, 06:56 PM
Range update:
Tuesday of this week, I went to the gun club to try out the Vortex Spark ll I mounted on my Winchester 94AE Trapper in 45 Colt. I had used blue loctite on the screws to mount the Weaver front base last week before going out of town, so the loctite was well set-up. On the bench shooting, I discovered that the Spark ll was high enough above the line of sight, that a cheek riser would have put my dominant eye better in line with the red dot. But, even as it was, with the minimum recoil of the 45 Colt round, I didnt get slapped around at all. The red dot was very easy to pick up, with the sky being overcast. But every once in a while, the sun would shine through, and I would have to turn up the red dots brightness. I do have astigmatism in my right (dominant) eye, so the dot is not exactly round. It looks very similar to a small comet. So, I usually have the brightness turned down, to lessen effect of the "comet". It works. I also found that a black circle target, works better than a lighter colored target. The distance from my eye, was far enough that I wasn't concerned about any parallax. The Spark ll does hang over the ejection port about .5" but with the angle eject system of the extracted fired cases there was no issue. It does require snappy movement of the lever though. So, the only downside I can find with the red dot system, is bright sunlight. Unless of course, the battery dies.

murf205
10-27-2021, 09:48 PM
I just purchased a Henry lever in 44 mag. My 84 yr. eyes demand an optic of some kind. Thinking red dot of some kind but can’t decide what.I don’t want to spend 1000$, more like 150 to 200$ I do have cheap reflex & tube type both ,just to play with but want something better on this gun.I have looked at the 1x6 type but the good ones all seem to be in the 1200 to 1500$ range. Did find a couple Round 300$ but brands I never heard of.would appreciate anyone’s thoughts or advice.

If you can find a 2 1/2x Leupold for a reasonable price, that would get my vote. No batteries to run down or forget to turn off. a 4x compact Leupold or Burris would work fine too. Every manufacture seems to be catering to the 1K yd crowd these days with scopes a bid as a spotting scope. The smaller optics like these, as well as the red dots keep the balance of the rifle reasonable.

parson48
10-29-2021, 10:54 AM
I tried a red dot on my Rossi 92 44 mag. Switched it out for a Burris scout scope. I like it pretty well.

Gray Fox
10-29-2021, 11:51 AM
I like the idea of a red dot with the long life batteries, but my astigmatism makes the dot look like spaghetti thrown on the wall. My wife doesn't have this problem and the small red dot works fine for her on a 16" stainless Rossi .357 Mag. I wish Nikon still made scopes and that their small 2x pistol scopes were available. I have one on a 20" Rossi .357 and it works well. GF

gordie
10-29-2021, 03:12 PM
Turnbull dovetail base has worked great on my mdl 94. i will be switching to a red dot w/ auto shut-off,
and large buttons....

centershot
10-29-2021, 04:31 PM
If you can find a 2 1/2x Leupold for a reasonable price, that would get my vote. No batteries to run down or forget to turn off. a 4x compact Leupold or Burris would work fine too. Every manufacture seems to be catering to the 1K yd crowd these days with scopes a bid as a spotting scope. The smaller optics like these, as well as the red dots keep the balance of the rifle reasonable.

This is why I use the Leupold 1-4x shotgun scopes with heavy crosshairs. If you haven't looked through one of these, you should before dropping coin on a red-dot sight. No batteries, no problem with the dot disappearing on sunny days, a wide open field of view when set at 1x (same as a red-dot) with the advantage of up to 4x magnification. And, yes, they are bulletproof - no pistol caliber carbine is going to put them out of comission, not even a 454 Casull.

tejano
10-29-2021, 07:24 PM
I think this Leupold Freedom Scout scope would look right at home on any lever rifle. It has the benefit of slightly longer eye relief which is a plus for older eyes.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020316289?pid=703698

hc18flyer
10-29-2021, 09:57 PM
Not a lever action, but a Henry single shot in .357 Maximum. Mine carries a 4x Compact Leupold. Works well within the limits of the cartridge. hc18flyer

centershot
10-30-2021, 12:27 PM
Not a lever action, but a Henry single shot in .357 Maximum. Mine carries a 4x Compact Leupold. Works well within the limits of the cartridge. hc18flyer

That would be a sweet package! I am really impressed with Henry's lineup of offerings and wouldn't mind having one of their single shots in 30-30. Good luck with yours, the Max is a great round!

robertbank
10-30-2021, 09:46 PM
I just bought a Bushnell Banner 1.5x4x Scope. The scopes seem to be rated ok. They are made in South Korea. I have been using a Leupold knockoff from China. The jury is out on the Chinese product. I have been happy with the scope on my 9MM carbine but on the .357mag not so much.

Fpt the money I have spent on low end scopes I might have been better off paying a bit more than I have. Life experiences seem to be learned via the wallet some times.

My Marline 1894CS has standard riffling , not micro groove. I am hoping I can cook up a load for the gun that will hold 1" at 50 yards. Not their yet!

Take Care

Bob