PDA

View Full Version : bird bath scum

porthos
10-05-2021, 03:43 PM
is there a way to keep the green scum from under the water of my bird baths??

cwtebay
10-05-2021, 04:04 PM
Biggest thing is keep them out of sunlight. When you do clean them, make certain that they are completely dry and well exposed to sunlight before refilling.
There are additives that you can purchase, but I haven't had any luck with them.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Bmi48219
10-05-2021, 04:43 PM
We put a half cup of white vinegar in our small fountain, mainly to keep mosquitoes from hatching. Household bleach works to inhibit algae in our a/c condensate drain line. Probably not the best if birds are using the bath. Copper sulfate crystals are used to inhibit mold / algae in ponds.

BJK
10-05-2021, 05:27 PM
It doesn't take much bleach to keep the algae at bay. Just apply it every day. Do a 'net search for application rates for bleach and water purification.

winelover
10-06-2021, 06:44 AM
We use floating solar pumps to recirculate the water and keep algae production down. Available on Amazon for less than $20

Winelover

dale2242
10-06-2021, 06:59 AM
Just clean it periodically.
Scub it well and let it dry.

gwpercle
10-06-2021, 11:33 AM
We have two simple bird baths , just a big container + water , no pumps or water falls .
I don't like to put "stuff" in the water ... I just put the hose on jet and blast out anything that forms on the bottom and when hosed clean , re-fill with cool clear water .
Filled often, very little or no surface scum forms ... any green stuff growing on the bottom doesn't seem to bother the birds or the bees (bees come and drink at times) .
I think small bird baths are easier to maintain than big ones ... frequent spray cleaning with the hose and filling with fresh water seems to keep the mosquitoes at bay also .
Gary

winelover
10-07-2021, 06:05 AM
Birds are filthy critters. They defecate in the birdbaths. Goes without saying, they get water changes, daily.

Winelover

bedbugbilly
10-07-2021, 08:49 AM
We have one on our front patio in AZ - we can see it and watch the birds come in to it as we eat - love watching the quail and roadrunners. We have a stiff brush like you would use to wash tires and wheels. It gets a good scrubbing and rinse every day - takes all of 2 minutes.