PDA

View Full Version : White rings on finished wood

Chill Wills
10-04-2021, 04:31 PM
I spilled Hot Coffee on a maple Dough Boy the other morning - a dough boy is like an end table. The hot drink really put a white fog on the finish. Short of stripping it and re-finishing it trying to match the rest of the existing finish, what product might I try to remove the white-ish fog on the table top?
Ideas???

THANKS!!!

Winger Ed.
10-04-2021, 04:37 PM
I think the white fog is moisture soaked into the finish.
Sometimes it will dry out and go away by itself after several days.

Chill Wills
10-04-2021, 05:05 PM
:mrgreen: helpful! :roll:
I'm laughing! :)

AlHunt
10-04-2021, 05:29 PM
Mom used to rub mayonnaise on water rings. Can't vouch for it, just remember it.

Maybe try a little oil finish of some kind in an inconspicuous spot. Do a little research, some oil finishes will yellow or darken.

NyFirefighter357
10-04-2021, 06:28 PM
Mom used to rub mayonnaise on water rings. Can't vouch for it, just remember it.

Maybe try a little oil finish of some kind in an inconspicuous spot. Do a little research, some oil finishes will yellow or darken.

Mayo works well!

Shawlerbrook
10-04-2021, 06:37 PM
Never tried it, but I also heard the mayo fix.

Bazoo
10-04-2021, 07:07 PM
You might try something called super flow reducer. At work, we used to spray it straight onto a piece that the lacquer blushed from hot weather. I’ve seen it sprayed on cured lacquer and still green. I asked some folks from Gemini finish about it once. Some finishing experts. He called it something and said that it would indeed remedy the lacquer and mix enough to clear the finish that way as a means to not refinish the whole piece.

DocSavage
10-04-2021, 07:33 PM
Walnuts out of the shell rub on stain.

gwpercle
10-05-2021, 08:46 AM
If it's " like an end table" cover it with a small decorative Table Cloth or Place Mat (Placemat ?) ... my Mom covered just about every finished wood surface with something ... Me , my little brother and my Dad were great at sitting wet objects on wood ... and/or spilling things ... She called us the "White Ring Gang" and we could mess up a nice wood finish in no time !
Gary

country gent
10-05-2021, 02:15 PM
I believe it was Pledge furniture polish that advertised it removed water rings. May be ass simple as a 5.00 can of polish and a soft cloth

zarrinvz24
10-05-2021, 03:05 PM
I'm pretty sure you can put a piece of wax paper over the ring, cover with a plain T-shirt and then take a medium-warm iron to it. NO STEAM! Keep it moving.

https://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-remove-white-rings-from-wooden-furniture/

wddodge
10-05-2021, 04:59 PM
Google Howards Feed-n-Wax. They have a product that takes the white rings out. The feed-n-wax works really good on woodwork and gunstocks too.

Denny

Rich/WIS
10-05-2021, 05:26 PM
Had damage like that when water got into the moving van that delivered my household good. Local furniture shop recommended Howards Restore a Finish. Got a can and it did a great job. Comes in a number of colors to match various woods/finishes. Got mine at the local Ace Hardware.

Geezer in NH
10-06-2021, 05:17 PM
Consuelo uses lemon pledge.

Buck Shot
10-07-2021, 07:09 AM
It should dry back out. I'd leave it alone and wait and see.